hi,
i've been searching google and been unable to find, anything helpful to help me. we have all heard, the question can you use lemon oil on maple guitar necks. and it has mixed opinions and the main answer depends on, if the maple neck is finished. Well i believe, my neck to be unfinished due to it not having that glossy finish like high end fenders. So does this mean my squiers neck is unfinished or that is has a different kind of laquer? My guitar is a squier telcaster custom II with no modifications.

thanks
It probably has what they call a "satin" finish on it, which is a thin, semi-gloss coat. Even the glossier finishes on higher-end Strats will fade with time and playing, but it is a thinner original coat on yours, so I'd be careful what I use on it. You mentioned lemon oil, but I'd stay away from that, even with the more heavily laquered necks, like my own Strat. You can wipe it clean now and then, with a clean rag dipped in a solution of water with a small amount of mild dishwashing detergent mixed in. Wipe it dry, then spray on a thin coat of almost any good commercial guitar polish. Personally, I like Martin brand polish; it's never hurt any of my guitars.
Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
Most likely its as Dawgman said... unless the finish has been sanded off. If you are the first owner and didn't sand the neck, assume its a satin finish. NO lemon oil, NO conditioner needed.

I agree with Dawgman's cleaning instructions EXCEPT for the guitar polish. I wouldn't put anything on a maple neck (fretboard or back) other than a very mild cleaner and wipe dry. But thats just me.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
All maple needs a finish on it otherwise it discolours and warps very quickly. If your neck had its finish sanded off you'd know it by now because after six months it would have been so screwed up it would need replacing.

The only thing you ever need to use lemon oil on is rosewood andt he only woods that need conditioner are ebony, rosewood, pau ferro and a few other high-end exotic woods which you won't find on any guitar worth less than $1000. Even then those woods only need oil/conditioner very rarely, like once every couple of years.

If you want to clean up your maple neck and fretboard all you need to do is get a fine cotton cloth and wipe it down, perhaps dampening it with a couple of drops of slightly warm water, but make sure it's not dripping wet - we're tlaking literally the very bare minimum, just to get a corner of the cloth very slightly damp to help shift some tougher dirt. Most of the neck should be wiped down with the cloth totally bone dry.
Does my squier have a finished maple neck?

Yes. If you have to ask, then yes.

Squier uses a low gloss finish on some of its maple necks, especially Telecasters. If the neck wasn't finished, you'd know right away. One, it'd feel like a sanded 1X2 and, two, I'd turn gray very, very quickly. Like the very first time you played it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi