After pining away for a Martin DC-1E for over a year I realized I was never actually going to have $1200 on hand to lay down for one (someday I hope), so I've decided to settle because I am in desperate need of a decent acoustic guitar, right now I'm using a 30 year old classical guitar with nylon strings which is not getting the job done. $500 is my absolute maximum price range, I'd like to come away with something decent hopefully so don't bother mentioned cheap starter guitars. I've been playing guitar for ~3 years now and have a fairly nice electric and amp set up but due to the fact that I no longer have a band I have little use for that and have been playing almost exclusively small coffeeshops and other more intimate settings which require an acoustic guitar. I don't really have any particular playing style, I play pop songs and light rock fair such as John Mayer and just need a dependable guitar which will get the job done. Thanks in advance
Three words- Seagull S6 Original. Solid top dread, great sounding guitar. If you need any details i'll be glad to provide them.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Sell everything you got and buy a great acoustic. I have 5 guitars (2 acoustic, 2 electric, 1 classical), a few amps, some pedals and the only thing that gets played is my D-28. Infact I could sell everything and buy an even better guitar like an OM-42..

My point is quality over quantity
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by RockinSince1993
Three words- Seagull S6 Original. Solid top dread, great sounding guitar. If you need any details i'll be glad to provide them.

Looks like a solid guitar, I'm liking the fact that it is solid wood and not laminate. A quick search on musicians friend yielded an acoustic electric one used for $460 which seems pretty reasonable - http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/6-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/S6-Original-Q1-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.site1prod512121.product - Could you give me any more details about the guitar or Seagull guitars in general? It seems like my local Guitar Center doesn't have any in stock for me to try unfortunately. I wonder how upset they would be if I asked them to order one, I tried it out, and if I liked it bought the used one online...hmmm.
Quote by Chips-
Sell everything you got and buy a great acoustic. I have 5 guitars (2 acoustic, 2 electric, 1 classical), a few amps, some pedals and the only thing that gets played is my D-28. Infact I could sell everything and buy an even better guitar like an OM-42..

My point is quality over quantity

I would but I'm going off to Uni in the fall and I intend to try to get involved in the band scene there and I'm going to need my electric and amp unfortunately
Quote by Chips-
Sell everything you got and buy a great acoustic.

Been there, gotta say a great acoustic is worth not eating for a month
Quote by Guitar-est-GOD
Looks like a solid guitar, I'm liking the fact that it is solid wood and not laminate. A quick search on musicians friend yielded an acoustic electric one used for $460 which seems pretty reasonable - http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/6-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/S6-Original-Q1-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.site1prod512121.product - Could you give me any more details about the guitar or Seagull guitars in general? It seems like my local Guitar Center doesn't have any in stock for me to try unfortunately. I wonder how upset they would be if I asked them to order one, I tried it out, and if I liked it bought the used one online...hmmm.

Seagull is one of the companies owned by Godin Guitars, along with Art & Lutherie, Norman and Simon & Patrick. Their goal is to produce quality Canadian-made guitars using solid tops and either three-ply hardwood laminate or solid back and sides. They have a few distinguishing qualities that set them apart from other manufacturers.

First I'll mention the most important part of an acoustic guitar - the woods. All Seagulls (even their lowest-end model) have Solid Sitka Spruce or Red Cedar tops (the S6 you're looking at is Cedar). Now for the lower-to-midrange models, you get laminate back and sides. This is where Seagull impresses me. I brought a Seagull Original S6 in to my local luthier and had him basically drill a hole in the side of the guitar (I was getting electronics put in anyways) and examine the wood. Most manufacturers will use a pretty looking wood for the top ply, and some cheap wood for the inner layers. Seagull is different. It was genuine 3-ply Wild Cherry as advertised.

Next, the Neck/Fingerboard/Headstock. Maple neck on the new ones (meaning 2000-2011), rosewood fingerboard, fairly standard. What isn't standard is everything else. 1-3/4" nut width (fairly wide, gives you lots of room), slightly shorter scale length (makes for easier fingering of complex chords), and a compact headstock that actually improves tuning stability.

As for sound, I would put it more in the Taylor camp (instead of the Martin or Gibson camps). It's pretty bright for a Cedar top, and it takes medium strumming and picking, fingerstyle or flatpicking. They come fairly well set-up from the factory, but of course a setup is cheap if you don't like how it's set up. I string it up with either Lights or Hybrids (Light top Heavy bottom).

Overall, solid guitars for a great price. However, as with any guitar, I always recommend you check it over thoroughly for defects and/or other issues. Mass-producers can never achieve flawless QC. Either way, try it out and see for yourself

RS93
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)