Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone,

I'm currently doing research at Sussex Uni about vinyl records and their future.
I have a survey that's 6 questions long and it would be awesome if some people filled it out.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8MTSGCY

If you have any opinions on vinyl and it's future in the music industry please post in this thread as I can use them in my project

Thank you

Vinyl is required for the music industry because it allows people who like them to continue using them.

I personally don't agree with the newer vinyl because it's not recorded analogue, so I personally see no point. I also don't have a record player even though I do like listening to records.
Good god I have spent more than £75 on vinyl in the last few months.

Done, and thank you for the reminder that I need to stop purchasing stuff.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Done, now i just need to get a hold of a record player to play the few records i own. But i plan to expand
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
I've always wanted a vinyl player but I'm low on cash, piss take.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Vinyl is still very popular among electronic genres like dubstep and drum n bass and there is a real dubplate culture. Vinyl is still quite popular amongst DJ's as well.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Why?

You mean why I like vinyl more than cds, or why I would stop buying music if they stopped making vinyl?

Also, done TS
I like CDs because they are recorded with a superior noise ratio and frequency range. You can't add that much bass on vinyl or else the needle will swing off. You have to add a low boost later in the signal process when playing it which just makes everything muddier especially since it's already warmer sounding(lack of high highs).

Vinyl will stay for a while because some people like low-fi stuff or are wannabe hipsters.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Greenday389
I like CDs because they are recorded with a superior noise ratio and frequency range. You can't add that much bass on vinyl or else the needle will swing off. You have to add a low boost later in the signal process when playing it which just makes everything muddier especially since it's already warmer sounding(lack of high highs).

Vinyl will stay for a while because some people like low-fi stuff or are wannabe hipsters.

People just prefer the sound of vinyl. Since it lacks some high end it sounds nicer to the ear
Quote by Duffman123
People just prefer the sound of vinyl. Since it lacks some high end it sounds nicer to the ear

I thought I said that. =/ I said some people like lo-fi stuff. Lack of a full frequency range is lo-fi to me.
Bass is my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You mean why I like vinyl more than cds, or why I would stop buying music if they stopped making vinyl?

Also, done TS

Both.
I personally don't have a record player but my bro has, so I listen to some Eric Clapton and other stuff over at his house.

Although I have the same songs on my iPod, listening to music on vinyl makes it more of a ceremony: You actually listen to the music and don't skip over the parts you don't like, I mean you could but it wouldn't be the same thing, just hopping the needle around to the songs you like.
Vinyl produces better quality sound and just sounds better in general, in my opinion.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by Greenday389
I thought I said that. =/ I said some people like lo-fi stuff. Lack of a full frequency range is lo-fi to me.

Well I would hardly call it lo-fi. But that's just like your opinion, man.
CDs are much more durable than vinyl, and the sound quality is generally better IMO. There's no reason to keep using it.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Wow, this has turned into a great thread. My research is biased as I collect records myself but it's good to see some different opinions.

Personally I like the collectibility of vinyl and the huge artwork is sometimes amazing. I love playing my vinyl but sometimes I can't be bothered and just chuck on itunes.

Also I'd say CD's are more durable but I hate CD cases and the crampt art on the front. I think a vinyl collection is more aesthetically pleasing than a CD one.
Last edited by Schlozz at May 16, 2011,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
CDs are much more durable than vinyl, and the sound quality is generally better IMO. There's no reason to keep using it.
Ooooooooooo.

Now that's debatable.
I love vinyl, plus the artwork is pretty awesome as well. But I will buy CD's as well, the quality difference isn't huge for me.

On a related note, a month ago, my basement flooded and we lost my dad's old collection of classic vinyl records. I'm talking Dark Side of The Moon, Master of Puppets. Absolutely gutted.
I've recently decided I'm going to start up a vinyl collection. I've been sort of thinking about it for awhile now but I got around to listening to some of my parents old Beatles and Rolling Stones records and thought they sounded just as good, if not better than CD's.

I really like that it's more of an event when listening/buying them. Now you could download a new album in a minute or two and listen to it, but you have to either go to a place that sells them and wait to get home from the drive to listen to it, or buy online and wait for it to arrive, both building up your anticipation.

I also like the simplicity of it all. You can alter the sound a bunch with MP3s, but with vinyl there's only so much you can do to alter the sound.

My first vinyl purchase will be the Foo Fighter's Wasting Light.

Edit: And plus, it's not like vinyl is that much more expensive than CD's. Of course the more hard to find albums can get up to the $30+ range, but I think that's worth it.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Last edited by Pookie6 at May 16, 2011,
I buy vinyl so that I can listen to my music post-nuclear-apocalypse.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by fender_696
Ooooooooooo.

Now that's debatable.

Not really. Vinyl degrades over time faster, has more noise and the dynamic range is about 70db as opposed to CDs which are nearer 120db as far as i'm aware.

If you like the sound of vinyl better that's fine, but objectively the sound quality is 'worse' than CDs.
I fail to see a reason for still producing vinyl, it's an inferior format.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I buy vinyl by the ton, so there's still a market for it.

Vinyl stores are almost always independently owned, too, so there's a much better atmosphere for the consumer.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
i would recommend you watch the documentary:

http://www.ineedthatrecord.com/Site/I_Need_That_Record%21.html

I actually just did an essay about it and my opinions on the topic.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tq03j1x035hjikj

I work at a record store and buy vinyl almost every shift i work. But it is hard to say whether or not there is a future for it. It has made a small comeback because listeners want a better sound than that of mp3s and hipsters are being obvious hipsters.

But it could be made popular again, or it could just become an artifact.
Last edited by BreatheOver at May 16, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Not really. Vinyl degrades over time faster, has more noise and the dynamic range is about 70db as opposed to CDs which are nearer 120db as far as i'm aware.

If you like the sound of vinyl better that's fine, but objectively the sound quality is 'worse' than CDs.

+1
Bass is my life.
Vinyl is pretty cool on occasion. Now, when they stop making CDs I will stop buying music. I like vinyl and all as a cool nostalgic vintage thing, though.

Vinyl will be around, especially considering this new hipster fad involving the superiority of vinyl.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Sig.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Todd Hart
I fail to see a reason for still producing vinyl, it's an inferior format.

I think the best way for musicians who want all of their music to be heard to sell music is Vinyl + MP3 card. You sell the Vinyl for the souvineer/artwork/if you like to play records value, and the MP3 card will allow you to download the entire CD for free.

However, the MP3 file will be a single track (all the songs put onto one track). If you really want to have a single song, you can cut it up in whatever program you'd like, but it would encourage the majority of listeners to listen to the entire CD.

Also, you can't pirate Vinyls as easily as you can CDs.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by Zoot Allures

All I know is I would rather listen to a warm-sounding, analogue, non-compressed record than a tinny sounding CD.
Quote by fender_696
All I know is I would rather listen to a warm-sounding, analogue, non-compressed record than a tinny sounding CD.

Even if the album was recorded digitally anyway?
Quote by andyscoot
Even if the album was recorded digitally anyway?
No.

That would defeat the point.
Page 1 of 2