is it possible?

tried tons of combinations between humbuckers (have a dimarzio humbucker on bridge), but seems its far from the guitar to get to these tones. I am looking for a ska smooth sound and a potent punk-rock distortion, but all i can get its that hardrock-ish tone from SG.

GEAR:

Epiphone SG
Crybaby
Marshall Guv'nor
Fender FM65R
try brniging down the volume of your guitar to make the signal less hot, although this will make some high ends dissappear to be take that into account when eqing the amp
thats what i thought.. SGs are somewhat limited to its usual tone, or timber (i dont know how its written in english, but its the texture of the sound from the guitar). I am seriously thinking on changing it to a fender strat, probably the best answer to this problem.
An SG should be more than capable. You say you have a DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge, but what model? It could simply be that you've chosen a pickup that is too hot and bright. Also runing an overdrive pedal into a solid state practise amp isn't a smart thing to do, all you're doing is exaggerating the pickups' power.

Nothing says ska to me like a lightly overdriven Vox tube amp and a warm bridge humbucker. The SG isn't the problem. Your amp and possibly your pickup is the problem.
In all honesty your amp is most likely the root of your issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by grohl1987
An SG should be more than capable. You say you have a DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge, but what model? It could simply be that you've chosen a pickup that is too hot and bright. Also runing an overdrive pedal into a solid state practise amp isn't a smart thing to do, all you're doing is exaggerating the pickups' power.

Nothing says ska to me like a lightly overdriven Vox tube amp and a warm bridge humbucker. The SG isn't the problem. Your amp and possibly your pickup is the problem.

ive just posted the pedal for information porpoises, but its not used on that matter.

Amp is plugged on the clean channel, probably its not its issue too.

I've managed to forget the damn humbucker name, sorry. Its been ages since ive exchange that, but yeh, the humbucker limits SG some more, true.

Thinking on humbuckers, the bridge one gives me tons of distortion, but that ska tone is kinda impossible. Maybe exchanging the bridge humbucker wont give me an answer?
Quote by steven seagull
In all honesty your amp is most likely the root of your issue.

really? why is that, man?
its plugged on clean channel
It's a solid state practise amp. Most ska tones come from an all-tube amp runing mostly clean but pushed to just about breakup point. Solid state amps don't break up like that. They also have significantly more treble detail than most tube amps. Fender solid state amps in particular are piercingly bright. You don't want a really thick and heavily distorted Marshall sound but you also don't want a completely clean, bright and jazzy solid state tone.

Like I said before, a Vox tube amp would do wonders for a basic ska tone. Some Fender tube amps are good for it too. Orange are suitable, depending on just how "punk" you want your "ska punk" tone to be.
Quote by grohl1987
It's a solid state practise amp. Most ska tones come from an all-tube amp runing mostly clean but pushed to just about breakup point. Solid state amps don't break up like that. They also have significantly more treble detail than most tube amps. Fender solid state amps in particular are piercingly bright. You don't want a really thick and heavily distorted Marshall sound but you also don't want a completely clean, bright and jazzy solid state tone.

Like I said before, a Vox tube amp would do wonders for a basic ska tone. Some Fender tube amps are good for it too. Orange are suitable, depending on just how "punk" you want your "ska punk" tone to be.

that was a real guitar class