Hi Guys

ive seen a guitar i like but its in the USA and its £1500 do any of you know how much roughly import duty would be to the UK?

Many thanks

Elliott
You need to pay customs duty, import duty, VAT, a handling fee and usually an extra handling fee for Parcel Force or whoever. For a guitar worth £1500 that will work out to be about +£400 total, if not more. For value you actually need to add the price of shipping to the price of the guitar. A £1500 guitar with £50 shipping and £100 insurence is one item worth £1650 as far as HM Revenue & Customs care. So that's what you work out the extra charges with.

The order you add it goes:
Basic item + basic shipping w/ insurence
+ Import duty, usually around 3% give-or-take 0.5%
Item + shipping&insurence + import duty = [total so far]
[total so far] + customs duty which is usaully another 2.5%, = [2nd running total]
[2nd running total] + handling fee which is normally about £12 = [3rd total]
[3rd total] + VAT at 20% = [4th total]
[4th total] + delivery to your door, usually another tenner.

In other words it is never worth importing a guitar unless you get it for well below half price. Even then half price + all the taxes means you only end up saving about 15% in the end and if you need to return it then you're screwed. So don't bother looking at buying from overseas.

The exception is countries in the EU, you can import from them and you only have to pay a basic increased shipping charge and a extra handling fee, you don't need to add in more VAT which is the big killer for importing guitars from America.
My robot V ( cost 1200 ) from Usa to canada cost me 200$ in taxes and duties
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Friend of mine imported an Agile bass. Had to pay shipping + £80 import tax, that was it
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I'm gonna bump this thread because I'm considering doing the same, importing from the US to the UK. My only concern is how you go about paying for the customs and VAT and whatnot. What happens? Does it get shipped to your door and then you get a bill for it or something?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Pretty much,

when it arrives, it goes into storage at a Parcel force depot, they send yu a letter with the charges, you can either pay for it when yo go collect, or when they deliver.

best go collect though as they charge out the arse for delivery.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd agree with one of the above comments. It's not worth importing it unless you're looking at a substancial decrease in cost. In the case of guitars which will cost you £1500 in the UK or $1500 in the US I think it's something you should look at, but it's important to take into account shipping costs and potentially being stung by customs.

The additional problems with importing a guitar are that if you buy something you're not happy with or it's damaged in transit it's somwhat more difficult and expensive to have it replaced or returned.

Out of interest, what guitar are you after? :P
Quote by Tom 1.0
Pretty much,

when it arrives, it goes into storage at a Parcel force depot, they send yu a letter with the charges, you can either pay for it when yo go collect, or when they deliver.

best go collect though as they charge out the arse for delivery.

Does that mean you get an option to collect or have it delivered?

I am thinking of getting a guitar delivered from the US because I have to fork out shedloads of cash for anything other than an Epiphone. I've seen a Schecter C1 Custom on eBay that would in total set me back about £400 or so including shipping, which is a shitload better than the £800 or so they cost over here. Left handed players such as myself have pretty much no variety. Epiphone and Ibanez in my price range and that's about it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread, was about to start one myself until I saw this one.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at May 16, 2011,
Hi

Thanks for all the responses you have all been very helpful

The guitar im after is a Gibson Tony Iommi Sg signature model from 1997 these are very rare guitars and have been after one for a while hence wanting to import

Elliott
I bought a guitar from the usa that is £600 new here, but it was $2 to.every £1 and import was about 80 quid, so save a lot of money.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.