So I got Guitar Rig 4 today and I plugged my guitar into the PC microphone line-in. When I open GR a horrible noise starts and I can't really record or play anything. Also I don't know how to find out which sound card I have - that might part of the problem. Or could it be bad guitar pickups? The cable is ok.

Thx in advance
WTF man, youre not gonna get it done that way.
Buy a cheap audio interface and select that as in/output and plug your speakers into it.
Using onboard audio will most likely suck.
So I should get an interface right...sry, but I'm a noob in this, how does the interface work?
The interface plugs into the computer via USB or FireWire. It has a 1/4" port that you plug the guitar into. Then you make sweet tones...long story short...

Here is a link of a few of them

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/
Last edited by FireHawk at May 16, 2011,
Quote by zirkonflex
WTF man, youre not gonna get it done that way.
Buy a cheap audio interface and select that as in/output and plug your speakers into it.
Using onboard audio will most likely suck.

It works fine on my pc.

Higher the noisegate, double click it. Now lower the volume of your guitar
Quote by Zordon
So I should get an interface right...sry, but I'm a noob in this, how does the interface work?

A lot of people get confused about this.

A soundcard is an interface.

A USB interface is a soundcard.

They are the same thing.

Getting an interface/soundcard that supports 1/4" and XLR inputs will make your life easier most of the time. But you bought software that really WANTS to use ASIO and ASIO only works with one device at a time. So your options are figure out what is up with your soundcard -- what are the electrical properties (ohms, watts, amps) and somehow compensate or get another soundcard that can handle balanced TRS inputs -- that might be a USB interface, might be PCIe ... like M-Audio Delta 44

Either way, to get Guitar Rig to work in real time you will want to use the ASIO drivers for your card.