Hey all! Yesterday I went ahead and picked up this beauty. A 1997 Fender Fat Strat california series with maple neck and a beautiful fiesta red color (which is actually almost orange) in her original gig bag and with all the case candy. She plays wonderfully, I've NEVER played such a smooth neck. According to information on the internet and from the seller, it's pretty much exactly like a 62' Reissue. All original USA vintage hardware, maple neck w/ medium jumbo frets, alder body, and tex mex pickups (that I love the sound of!). I compared her today to a few american standards in my local shop and I can honestly say that this baby FEELS and SOUNDS far better than the ones I've tried.

Here's some learning value:

The california series were produced between 1997 and 1998, being a cheaper alternative to the expensive american standard. The necks and bodies of the guitar were cut and shaped in Corona, California USA, and then sent to mexico for sanding and painting. The nitrocellulose paint was apparently a problem in the USA due to pollution laws, and had to be sent to Mexico for it. After the parts were finished, they were sent back into the USA where the bodies and necks would be assembled, and finished with Vintage USA hardware.

Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Me want soooo bad.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
looks great.

you forgot the part about them getting sued and such.

i hope you didn't pay more than $300 for it.

it's also nothing like a 62 reissue. at all.

HNGD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Paid 600$. This one sold 2 years ago for 1,050: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-166093.html

Also:

From vintage guitar magazine by Riley Wilson

The '97-'98 Original California Strat is identical to the '62 reissue in most respects. The C-shaped neck and the three-ply pickguard is there, as are the traditional single-coil pickups or H/s/s, joined to that desirable five-way switch. Little details, like mouth-watering colors like Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, and Black, make this guitar all but impossible to differentiate from a regular '62 reissue.

The story goes that the (no longer produced) '97-98 California series guitars were so good that they were taking away sales from the regular American Standard series as well as the '57 and '62 reissues so Fender discontinued the series.... Whatever Fender's rationale, the Original California series guitars are no longer available....Too bad, because this is an excellent Strat.

They've gone up in value and have become hard to come across. I'm definitely keeping it original juuust in case.

And thanks
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
So its a 62 color?

No rosewood, no 60's PG, vintage spacing?

I've never seen an hss 62, because they didn't make them.

Think what you want, for $600 you could have gotten a USA fender.

Glad you like it.
I like how he says the "story".

That's accurate.
"The '97-'98 Original California Strat is identical to the '62 reissue in most respects. The C-shaped neck and the three-ply pickguard is there, as are the traditional single-coil pickups or H/s/s, joined to that desirable five-way switch. Little details, like mouth-watering colors like Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, and Black, make this guitar all but impossible to differentiate from a regular '62 reissue."

62 vintage ri
Fretboard Radius: 7.25" (18.41 cm)
Fretboard: Rosewood
Neck Material: Maple
Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer Neck Finish

cali strat
Vintage style “C” profile neck with a 9½" radius.
21 medium jumbo frets.

I wouldn't trust vintage guitar for things like...facts or information.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
HNGD! Nice color on that. Only a Strat could pull off that color
Music must be honest to be timeless.