Hi, my name is Mike. I am 26 yrs old. I started playing guitar when I was 14 or so. At the time I liked Metallica, Megadeth, etc, and eventually guitar music like Vai, Satch, and the like. Well, because at the time I started playing I was really only interested in playing songs from artists I enjoyed I never took lessons or took interest in theory because I didn't even know what that was. I've really only learned playing tabs and improvising by tinkering until I heard what I wanted. I got away from guitar for a few years in my 20's while in school. I have since had a revival of my interest in guitar and am wishing I had had lessons so I actually UNDERSTOOD what I was doing. My question is: how do you suggest I go about learning many of the basics that I missed out on by not taking lessons or learning theory on my own? I am actually a pretty decent player technique-wise, but I lack the foundational knowledge and only know what I am doing based on finger shapes. I want to get to the point where I really understand what I am doing so that I can feel very comfortable in jam situations ad-libbing, and understanding when I learn music what is really going on. I think that would really help me progress and give me more satisfaction while playing - not to mention relieve frustration when I'm trying to do something on the instrument and just don't know where to go with it. I feel like I am stuck. I feel like I have a lot of talent potential that I cannot unlock until I learn basics I missed out on. I've been learning classical music as well lately, and I love playing it, and I often look at the music and wish I could know why certain phrases work over certain chords; or how the composer changed up the feeling in the song in a certain way. Anyways, if you have ANY suggestions at all I'd be thankful!

Mike
Quote by Twist of fate
Put it into paragraphs and try again

Oh wow. What a motivator
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
I think it's never too late. I picked up the guitar when I was 18. Been playing for 1½ years now, still not handling theory well enough to not use tabs at all, but I'll manage and keep learning more. You just need to practice more, harder and learn theory at the same time. Eventually you will learn everything you want to.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

What I got out of that wall of text:

UNDERSTOOD!
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
start over from the beginning and learn it all properly. the thing is that already having played for a while you know (or at least should) what your limits are, what you can and can't do. start over from the beginning with the basics, make sure you're doing everything properly (that is, to a metronome) also it sounds like you need to learn some basic theory to have an idea of how music functions and why what you think sounds cool actually "sounds cool"

basically start over from the beginning, take lessons if you think you need to and learn how music works.

if it helps i had to start over with my technique when i was 25 and it only took about a year to get back to where i was.
Last edited by z4twenny at May 16, 2011,
Quote by KingV911
Hi, my name is Mike. I am 26 yrs old. I started playing guitar when I was 14 or so. At the time I liked Metallica, Megadeth, etc, and eventually guitar music like Vai, Satch, and the like. Well, because at the time I started playing I was really only interested in playing songs from artists I enjoyed I never took lessons or took interest in theory because I didn't even know what that was.

I've really only learned playing tabs and improvising by tinkering until I heard what I wanted. I got away from guitar for a few years in my 20's while in school. I have since had a revival of my interest in guitar and am wishing I had had lessons so I actually UNDERSTOOD what I was doing. My question is: how do you suggest I go about learning many of the basics that I missed out on by not taking lessons or learning theory on my own? I am actually a pretty decent player technique-wise, but I lack the foundational knowledge and only know what I am doing based on finger shapes.

I want to get to the point where I really understand what I am doing so that I can feel very comfortable in jam situations ad-libbing, and understanding when I learn music what is really going on. I think that would really help me progress and give me more satisfaction while playing - not to mention relieve frustration when I'm trying to do something on the instrument and just don't know where to go with it.

I feel like I am stuck. I feel like I have a lot of talent potential that I cannot unlock until I learn basics I missed out on. I've been learning classical music as well lately, and I love playing it, and I often look at the music and wish I could know why certain phrases work over certain chords; or how the composer changed up the feeling in the song in a certain way. Anyways, if you have ANY suggestions at all I'd be thankful!

Mike

Paragraphed for people wanting paragraphs.
I just added them in randomly.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Check out this site man,theres lessons on theory and whatt not.

also

Quote by Twist of fate
Put it into paragraphs and try again

Your a cOcksucker.
Last edited by xStIcKsxStOnEd at May 16, 2011,
Quote by xStIcKsxStOnEd
Check out this site man,theres lessons on theory and whatt not.

also

Your a cOcksucker.

You're illiterate.
Learn theory, sounds like you dont need to learn guitar 'basics'

Learn theory and aim towards writing music. I myself have gone back to learn theory after thinking i wouldn't need it.
I'd suggest talking to some musicians you know. Ask them if they know about some good books or something who can teach you theory from a guitar players' perspective.

Also:
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Quote by xStIcKsxStOnEd

Your a cOcksucker.

You're illiterate.

Got me there for some reason.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by KingV911
Hi, my name is Mike. I am 26 yrs old. I started playing guitar when I was 14 or so. At the time I liked Metallica, Megadeth, etc, and eventually guitar music like Vai, Satch, and the like.

Well, because at the time I started playing I was really only interested in playing songs from artists I enjoyed I never took lessons or took interest in theory because I didn't even know what that was. I've really only learned playing tabs and improvising by tinkering until I heard what I wanted. I got away from guitar for a few years in my 20's while in school. I have since had a revival of my interest in guitar and am wishing I had had lessons so I actually UNDERSTOOD what I was doing and my mom got scared She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'.

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I can say is that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Man forget it' - 'Yo home to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked to my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

Mike

What actually happened...
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised the majority of them were about my post not being paragraphed. I assumed this was an informal environment, so I ignored some written communication basics.

Anyways... it sounds like getting theory down should be my main goal. I guess that makes sense.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Oh wow. What a motivator

He's right, I can't read it either. If he wants help he should at the very least make it enjoyable for us to read. Trying to read a wall of tiny black text isn't fun.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Just go at your own pace. You're only going to learn as much as you're motivated to. So if you have a real drive to learn theory and how songs are composed, go for it. If you just wanna be a shredder, look up some scales and practice them. You don't have to learn theory to be a good guitarist. It definitely helps you become a better musician, but it's not necessary by any means.

I'd just pick it up again and start playing stuff you like. Then start listening to more music. Stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Eventually, try and write your own stuff and come up with your own ideas. It'll give you a definite representation of how mature you are as a musician
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by Jostry
He's right, I can't read it either. If he wants help he should at the very least make it enjoyable for us to read. Trying to read a wall of tiny black text isn't fun.

The text isn't that tiny on my small laptop screen. I'm not sure what you mean by that? Most books and electronic articles have text about this size. Do you only read things that are a couple sentences or less? I figured my back story would be helpful in informing others where I am as a player.
Quote by nedthehead
Just go at your own pace. You're only going to learn as much as you're motivated to. So if you have a real drive to learn theory and how songs are composed, go for it. If you just wanna be a shredder, look up some scales and practice them. You don't have to learn theory to be a good guitarist. It definitely helps you become a better musician, but it's not necessary by any means.

I'd just pick it up again and start playing stuff you like. Then start listening to more music. Stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Eventually, try and write your own stuff and come up with your own ideas. It'll give you a definite representation of how mature you are as a musician

I like your post. I used to think I just wanted to "shred", but now find myself wanting to be better musically. I come up with stuff all the time - melodies, chord progressions, etc. - but when I want to make these things into a song or add layers over the top I sometimes can't figure out what really works, or I can but am limited. I want to know right away what will not work so I don't waste time fiddling away trying to find the notes I want. I suppose theory would help there.
I'd go to the Technique forum.

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown