With my new band which has recently started up we've got 1 song written and i am 100% happy with it. But our vocalist wants to bring in a guitarist/songwriter from his old band in.

So i sent the guitarist a demo of our song and he asked for the GP5 file which i sent him. He changed the intro a bit and sent it back to me and honestly, i don't like it. It sounds like stuff was put in and changed for the sake of putting it in and changing it and it sounds too messy for what is supposed to be a soft intro.

I've not actually met this guitarist but our frontman really wants to get him into the band. I've hear his old band and his playing sounds sloppy compared to mine (not in an arrogant way, it really is) and he doesn't seem anywhere near ambitious enough for this band, unlike the rest of us. Our vocalist doesn't want to change the start because he is friends with the guitarist and i can't exactly say to him "It's shit" because i've never even met him lol, and i don't wanna fall out with our vocalist.

Advice anyone?
I often find myself in this situation with my band members as it is, not even outside sources. Whenever the guitarist brings an idea or an alternate version of a song that doesn't tickle my fancy, I'll tell him either straight up I don't like it (because we're all assholes to each other understandable) or I'll be more mature and adult about it and say something along the lines of, "Ya know, I like that you're trying to change things for the better, but it's not what I've envisioned for this part of the song." Or something vague like that. It gets your point across that you think it's not to your liking, but it also still welcomes his ideas.

My 3 cents.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Man that is a bit of a sticky situation. Id say try meetin the guy, play with him. See if hes a good guitarist at least.
Most of all try to get to know the guy. I always beleived that the most important part of a good band member is a good personallity. They have to click.
At least give him a go, and if he's not gelling, or he really is as bad as you think he's going to be, do not be a pussy about it and make sure you tell your frontman, that it would be a bad idea bringing him in.

However, your frontman and this new guy might have some chemistry that brings out the best in each other, and you could have a decent songwriting force, so I would advise trying him out in person, at least.
Yeah, i'll give him a try. Might be worth trying it my way and his way when we start practising and see which people prefer. I think he just added stuff to get his name onto the songwriting credits but hey, thats just my opinion.
Quote by Afroboy267
Yeah, i'll give him a try. Might be worth trying it my way and his way when we start practising and see which people prefer. I think he just added stuff to get his name onto the songwriting credits but hey, thats just my opinion.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

And good choice, trying him out.
Just tell him to turn the shit knob down. You gotta be honest with each other and see it all as constructive or things will get messy all the time.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Try it out. If you jam with him and he sucks the answer is a clear no. if there is potential, explore. do not be so quick to strike down options without giving them a chance. just make sure you are professional about it
I don't like rewriting songs. I'd keep the original intro and use his new idea for a different song. Regardless he's not even in the band yet...how much say does he really have?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't like rewriting songs. I'd keep the original intro and use his new idea for a different song. Regardless he's not even in the band yet...how much say does he really have?

^this

why would you let someone who isn't in the band have any say in anything?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I don't see what the problem is, they guy isn't in the band already so it's not like you have to give him the same consideration that you would give a band member, he's still at the "audition" stage, if you will, and if you don't like his playing and his songwriting then to me that means he's failed his audition.

If you're dead set on him not being in the band, then just explain to the vocalist that you don't need another member and that the guy isn't right for the band