yeah, who of you are in stanford, MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

I always thought that with an awsome SAT, an awsome GPA, and playing guitar i could go there, but i thought ''how many applicants do they receive with a 4.5GPA and 2000 SAT score?''

so if any of you are actually there, how did you do it?
you probably won't get in. not because you're not good enough, but because so many people like you apply.

if you're at the top, it's pretty much chance. there's no way to guarantee entrance, unless your parents are rich and give millions to the school.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I would think extra curriculars and a kick ass essay would help.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Ok, i dont plant applying there, and that is not my profile, the question is, what differences you from the other top kids around?
Quote by fearofthemark
you probably won't get in. not because you're not good enough, but because so many people like you apply.

if you're at the top, it's pretty much chance. there's no way to guarantee entrance, unless your parents are rich and give millions to the school.
This.
Quote by actaderock
and playing guitar

wut.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by actaderock
Ok, i dont plant applying there, and that is not my profile, the question is, what differences you from the other top kids around?

$$
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
my sister went to MIT.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by fearofthemark

this, and also, you probably wouldn't want to go there as an undergrad anyway. right now you're probably the smartest kid in your high school, but at the ivies you'll be just like everyone else, and they'll just treat you like everyone else.

if you're going for a private school, try going to a smaller one (or an honors college at a state school), do really good there, THEN apply to harvard, etc. for grad school.

edit:

Quote by actaderock

quick question, does your dad typically light cuban cigars with $100 bills he finds lying around the house?
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at May 16, 2011,
Quote by actaderock

They make Facebook and doesn't afraid of anything
Quote by actaderock

The ability to have your parents give hundreds of thousands of dollars to the school (on top of tuition, room/board, etc.), or absolutely fucking impeccable scores in all honors classes as well as a shit-ton of extra-curriculars.

DoomdEdit: Oh yeah, I forgot about the recommendation letter. You need one of those from a very powerful person (preferably an alumni of the school you are applying to)
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at May 16, 2011,
Extracurricular activities are a big boost and so are any working credentials, such as playing for a restaurant or something along those lines. I really don't think you have to give money to these universities. Understand that these are people talking out of their ass and have most likely never applied there or know anyone who has. If you have a name for yourself, or at least in your community, it will also help. I go to the University of Illinois, not for music, but I know that they have a great program and it's hard to get in. The music majors I know do not have ultra rich parents or anything. They did well enough in academics and extra curricular activities. Is there a difference between U of I and those colleges? Yes, but understand working hard should be enough to get you if that's what you wanted to do.
Quote by fearofthemark

This 100%. How do you think George Bush made it through college? Not his boyish good looks.
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by actaderock

Plant?
you're a stone fox
Quote by NickMeads

Oh, ok I get it now plant, I was thinkin' it had something to do with Hugh Laurie.
you're a stone fox
Holy **** are you retarded?! He meant "plan on" jesus christ.... I'm glad the work is ending soon, because your babies would probably find a way to burn down the world.
^ lol he's mad and can't take a joke.

Quote by Saint78
Oh, ok I get it now plant, I was thinkin' it had something to do with Hugh Laurie.
Are you ****ing serious? Gtfo.
Last edited by NickMeads at May 16, 2011,
Quote by NickMeads
^ lol he's mad and can't take a joke.

No brah, you're not the retarded one. Well, maybe. But I was referring to saint78
Quote by trueamerican
Holy **** are you retarded?! He meant "plan on" jesus christ.... I'm glad the work is ending soon, because your babies would probably find a way to burn down the world.

1st of all this is the Pit, spelling errors are free game, and 2nd I'm pretty sure he meant "plan to" which is why its "plant" no "plano" Plano is a suburb of Dallas. This is not Texas.
you're a stone fox
He said "plant applying", you can't plan to applying something. Plan on was correct.

ZING
Quote by Saint78
1st of all this is the Pit, spelling errors are free game, and 2nd I'm pretty sure he meant "plan to" which is why its "plant" no "plano" Plano is a suburb of Dallas. This is not Texas.

"Plan to applying"? Yeah, I don't think so, buddy. Just go sit back in the corner and stop eating all the red crayons. They are in fact not cherry flavored.
Quote by NickMeads
He said "plant applying", you can't plan to applying something. Plan on was correct.

ZING

You're right, my bad.
you're a stone fox
Quote by trueamerican

Go Veg.
Quote by trueamerican
No brah, you're not the retarded one. Well, maybe. But I was referring to saint78

umad?
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by Saint78
You're right, my bad.
Either way I don't think he's getting into MIT with his plant.
Quote by trueamerican
"Plan to applying"? Yeah, I don't think so, buddy. Just go sit back in the corner and stop eating all the red crayons. They are in fact not cherry flavored.

BLAHBLAHBLAH GRAMMAR NAZI ALERT RAH FLAH BOOTIE-SHAW!

f*ck jerunds, who gives a crap? plants are cooler than plans anyway. do plants give a ****? HELL NO. they're so badass, they just grow. JUST F*CKING GROW MOTHERF*CKERS!!!

JUST LOOK AT THAT FUCKER. do plans have petioles? I didn't f*cking think so.

F*CK YOU!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I sort of wish I would have applied to an Ivy.
But I got into West Point (which is pretty ****ing selective) with 2160 SAT, 3.7 GPA (unweighted) and an assload of volunteerwork, extra currics, and sports.

From what I've heard essays weight more than you think -- for that reason that there are loads of applicants with similar credentials. So if you have something that reflects your character that really catches their eye, that's where you're sold.
Quote by ThorVonClemson
Be thankful your parents care about you man.
A guy like you could easily be mistaken for a lady and be violently raped.

I'm virile, fertile, scream when I come.
Quote by Saint78
Plano is a suburb of Dallas. This is not Texas.

...aaaand that's Dallas.

If the school library's named after your grandfather, you're on the right track.

When I was a kid, I wanted to attend MIT (I was really interested in electronics), and later on just any prestigious school. Then I realized this sort of elite education in America is more of a business than an institution (also, Gilmore Girls pissed me off to no end). You should stil go or it if you really feel that way inclined, but I think going there for graduates rather than undergrad might be a better idea.

I'm going to temple university for my undergrad, and then to some place like University of Pennsylvania or Ithaca for a masters. I had wanted to go to Ithaca for undergrads, but eh, that's just the way things panned out (especially with the economy and an unwillingness to take on loans just yet) ?
Last edited by thewho65 at May 16, 2011,
Sort of beside the point, but I was accepted to Morehouse College (elite, historically black, liberal arts college) and would have been able to apply for minority scholarships as a white, upper-middle class kid.
Quote by stratdud39
Dude, really? Chill out, you're being a bit of a dick.
LOL did your feelings get hurt?
I'm going to either Cornell or Georgetown in the fall. That is, I've been accepted by both and now have to make a decision. But I applied as a transfer.