i want to get a 5 string but i don't have much money, so i looked around for a while and came across these two basses that have very reasonable prices but i just can't choose between the two. one is an ibanez gsr205 and one is a squier jazz bass.

squier: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affinity-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V-104482054-i1173424.gc

ibanez: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR205-5-String-Bass-101585172-i1150633.gc

anyone own/played these basses? which one do you think i should get? thanks.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Ibanez.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
In situations like this, my answer is always the same; wait until you can afford something decent. Do you really need a 5-string with enough immediacy to make it worth getting one that's not going to really be able to stand up in terms of quality?

Beyond that, if you plan on buying sight unseen, I'd probably lean towards to Ibanez, too. Unless you really need that jazz bass tone, the ibanez is probably going to be more versatile, and give you the tone you're (most likely) after. Not many people want a 5-string to play vintage stuff... Plus I played one of the American-made precision Vs, and was seriously underwhelmed by it, and actually come to think of it, also tried out a slightly cheaper ibanez that day and thought it was a lit nicer. I think they were both around the AU$1500 mark, so I can't say for sure that it would be the same with yours.

Ideally, if you can get your budget to US$600-700, you have some real options. The MIK Spector Professional series are amazingly good basses, especially for the money. I play one now, and when I was demoing basses, for shits and giggles I A/B'ed it against a $4000 Warwick, and it blew the thing away. I'm to assume the warwick wasn't set up properly, but that was a real eye-opener. Seriously, if you get a chance, go try out a spector, I guarantee you won't regret it.
sweet i'll probably go for the ibanez then. thanks guys. and Wolffgang, i was looking at spectors, they look like some really nice basses. i haven't gotten to play on one though.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
i don't think it really matters much between those 2 basses. they are both right about the same as far as quality goes. the lucky thing for you is that those are both very common basses and you should be able to find plenty of demos on them.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Wolffgang
In situations like this, my answer is always the same; wait until you can afford something decent. Do you really need a 5-string with enough immediacy to make it worth getting one that's not going to really be able to stand up in terms of quality?

Beyond that, if you plan on buying sight unseen, I'd probably lean towards to Ibanez, too. Unless you really need that jazz bass tone, the ibanez is probably going to be more versatile, and give you the tone you're (most likely) after. Not many people want a 5-string to play vintage stuff... Plus I played one of the American-made precision Vs, and was seriously underwhelmed by it, and actually come to think of it, also tried out a slightly cheaper ibanez that day and thought it was a lit nicer. I think they were both around the AU$1500 mark, so I can't say for sure that it would be the same with yours.

Ideally, if you can get your budget to US$600-700, you have some real options. The MIK Spector Professional series are amazingly good basses, especially for the money. I play one now, and when I was demoing basses, for shits and giggles I A/B'ed it against a $4000 Warwick, and it blew the thing away. I'm to assume the warwick wasn't set up properly, but that was a real eye-opener. Seriously, if you get a chance, go try out a spector, I guarantee you won't regret it.

I made some very strange facial expressions at various points through reading that.
Both of the basses he mentioned have a JJ pickup configuration, I think the Ibanez has that little one-band EQ? They're going to be about the same in terms of versatility.
Sorry but a MIK Spector and "$4000" Warwick aren't going to compare. And this is coming from a previous owner of a Euro 5.
5 string P is an acquired taste, I love my Lakland 55-64.

My recommendation is save the extra $100 and get the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. They're leagues ahead of the Affinity Series in terms of construction and quality.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB