I've been stuck in a rut for a while now, and the only way for me to get out of it, or at least take the first step in getting out of it is developing a suitable way of muting unwanted noise.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each method?
I dont understand how you would mute with the thumb?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
I dont understand how you would mute with the thumb?

Muting unwanted string noise with the thumb? You just position your thumb so that it slightly touches the lower strings as you are picking.
Yes, and the unused fingers of your picking hand can rest on the higher strings to mute them. This can also be done with the finger print side of your index of your fretting hand.

I'm using thumb muting technique all the time now, the only time I use palm muting is when I'm doing metal rythm passage. Bottom line, I use thumb muting to mute strings that I don't play and I use palm muting to mute the strings that I actually play.
Hmm, I geuss ive never really thought of the difference before. When in doubt, watch Paul Gilbert.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I think both techniques are very effective, maybe depends on your preference. I use my thumb and it was kinda hard to get used to at first but now I use that all the time (unless it's a metal riff with palm muting)
I don't really use my thumb, because it limits my fretting hand. But using the unused fingers on your fretting hand better (in my opinion)
And I too use palm muting when doing metal but mostly for the sound than to actually completely mute the strings
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I don't really use my thumb, because it limits my fretting hand. But using the unused fingers on your fretting hand better (in my opinion)
And I too use palm muting when doing metal but mostly for the sound than to actually completely mute the strings

Uh I think he means the thumb on the picking hand.
Freepower has a video on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Instead of using your thumb, why not use your fretting index finger for the higher strings and the palm of your picking hand for the lower strings?

With the thumb over the neck, it can get in the way when you're trying to do larger stretched.
Quote by Burai
Uh I think he means the thumb on the picking hand.

Ohh. That confuses me alittle bit how do you mute with your thumb and still be able to pick?
Because I'm trying to picture it in my head and it seems akward
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Right, basically what's going on here that people don't seem to be getting is using different areas of your hand for silencing the lower strings. The area you use largely depends on your hand position and the angle at which you meet the strings.

The palm area is vaguely like this:

It actually extends a little way below that but this is an old pic I used for something else at the time, the basic idea is much the same. This is the easy bit that most of you get so far.

The other area is this one:

Which is probably more useful for people who have their guitar higher on the strap and their hand meets the strings at a different angle, where the first area of the hand would be too low to use effectively.

As I said, the uses pretty much depend on how your hand and guitar are positioned, really then only thing that matters is that you're not sounding strings you don't want to sound.

If anybody needs further explanation, I'll do another pic or two with my actual hand.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ok so the area below the thumb thanks. I was thinking he meant the thumb itself.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Ok so the area below the thumb thanks. I was thinking he meant the thumb itself.

Haha, no, that would be pretty much useless, due to the shape of the thumb towards the tip you wouldn't even be able to mute properly even if you could find a way to pick
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I thumb mute with the thumb itself. The bone of the thumb is harder than the flesh of your palm (obviously) so it mute the lower strings better. At first this technique was really awkward and frustrating because I was used to rest my palm on the bridge, I got use to it within a month or so. I'm using this technique for a year and half now and it became real comfortable and natural.

Plus, this technique makes A.H. easier to do because your picking hand is already placed in a good position to do it (I still need practice regarding A.H.).

I'm still using palm muting for heavy metal rythm passage because I want that particular sound.

I have made a little video showing the tumb muting technique, to show how it is done to people that aren't familiar with it. Notice that my thumb rests on the lower strings than the one I'm playing and be caution not to mute the string that you are actually playing Hope it helps....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vcs6QxVgc0
Last edited by David Lalumiere at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by David Lalumiere
I thumb mute with the thumb itself. The bone of the thumb is harder than the flesh of your palm (obviously) so it mute the lower strings better. At first this technique was really awkward and frustrating because I was used to rest my palm on the bridge, I got use to it within a month or so. I'm using this technique for a year and half now and it became real comfortable and natural.

Plus, this technique makes A.H. easier to do because your picking hand is already placed in a good position to do it (I still need practice regarding A.H.).

I'm still using palm muting for heavy metal rythm passage because I want that particular sound.

I have made a little video showing the tumb muting technique, to show how it is done to people that aren't familiar with it. Notice that my thumb rests on the lower strings than the one I'm playing and be caution not to mute the string that you are actually playing Hope it helps....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vcs6QxVgc0

I think everyone understands that there is a way to mute unwanted string noise with the picking hand's thumb. The problem is that no one is describing it down to a science on how NOT to pinch harmonic by accident on the string you are trying to play.

I'm trying to get this technique down as well, and it would be great if someone who knows how to use this technique quite well (especially during sweep-picking) could make a video that
1. shows the exact positioning of the thumb on the pick (and by that, I mean a three dimensional point-of-view video, really close up, and even for half a minute if needed, lol)

2. show HOW they position their hand on the strings in all 3 dimensional axises (if you rotate the wrist a bit towards the fretboard/bridge, or how you angle your arm, depending on how high the guitar is on your body), and

3. how they position/how much pressure they apply on the thumb when you're playing higher up on the fretboard, since this DEFINITELY lowers the height of some strings that your fretting hand is applying pressure to, while the rest stay at normal elevation.

I think I can speak for many when I say this technique would be MUCH easier to understand if people just took the time to graph out EXACTLY what they are doing with close-up videos of their hand from multiple angles, and in multiple playing style scenarios, rather than just vaguely describing what to do, and saying "practice".

I hope that made sense. Any helpful reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dross.

P.S. Just an fyi, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, or on this forum when I described vague answers towards the end there, lol. No hostility intended.
Last edited by Dross1991a at Nov 13, 2013,