Poll: Spanking/belting kids?
Poll Options
View poll results: Spanking/belting kids?
Yes
102 35%
No
151 52%
Not another black and white poll, dammit!
57 20%
Big booty bitches
108 37%
Voters: 291.
Page 1 of 11
I'm currently listening to my little sister being belted on the ass. Sure, she was being out of control and ridiculous, but I always get really disturbed when this happens. What the fuck is this supposed to accomplish?

What about you? Do you think it's ever okay or necessary to spank/belt your kids? I don't and I would never do it. Poll included
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Lost Dog
Both happened to me as a kid. Bad times man.

+1

Feels bad man.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
We had a debate about this a while ago in my AP English class, and I was surprised at how many people said they had been spanked and would still do it to their kids. Personally I don't think I could ever be able to (I was never spanked as a kid either), though I may feel differently when I'm actually a parent and they're being bratty.
I'm scared. I was saying that joke poll option with friends a few hours ago.

I think it's okay. Of course there are limits. Personally, it would be a last resort and I would accompany it with a big explanation.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I vote "no." Anyone who belts their kid is a shithead. If your kid is being a little prick, it's your own fault for not raising him/her right.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Depends on either how much of a prick the kid is, and how severe he fucked up. Plus haven't any of you been in a store and saw some kid who NEEDED his ass beat?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I support spanking; my parents did it to all of my siblings and me, and we're all completely fine. Using a belt, which they never did, sounds a lot more painful, so I don't think you should go THAT far, but I'm not trying to say your parents are wrong. I don't like when people talk about how parents tell their kids not to hit and then they hit their kids when they're bad. That's a stupid argument. If you believe that spanking them is going to help prevent them from doing something bad, then isn't a little physical pain that goes away after minutes (if even that long, getting stung by a bee hurt worse for me) better than risking them growing up wrong? I'm not saying you should ALWAYS spank them; I don't think I could ever hit my kids if I had any, I'm just saying that if you feel that it's necessary AND because it doesn't seriously hurt them, then go ahead and do it.
sunbather is shit
Last edited by beefcake122 at May 16, 2011,
I voted for all of them because I can.

OT: As much as it seems cruel, it does a good job of striking fear into their hearts. Kids nowadays, myself included, are little shits most of the time, completely disrespectful. A mild beating, or rather the fear of one, could do them some good.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Using a belt invokes fear and doesn't exactlyget the point across. All they think is "well I better not do this or I'll get spanked again"... which I guess kind of works

Seriously, talk to your kid. Tell them why it's wrong and see if they understand. If they say they understand and still do it, THEN beat the shit out of them Not really but you get my point.

Although I'm being a hypocrite. If I had kids and they annoyed me, I know I'd end up smacking the shit out of them and possibly throwing them across the room.

That's why I'm never having kids. I know how to treat them, but I don't know if I could hold myself back. Maybe it's the same with kids and why they're such brats.
Quote by robertito696
I voted for all of them because I can.

OT: As much as it seems cruel, it does a good job of striking fear into their hearts. Kids nowadays, myself included, are little shits most of the time, completely disrespectful. A mild beating, or rather the fear of one, could do them some good.

This
I'd tell my kids, you have 4 chances before I kill you.

Every time they stuff up, I remove a limb.
What the fuck? Spanking is a grey area, one I'd still vote no on, but beating your kid with a belt is just fucking obscene - What the hell are you doing sitting here and discussing this with us for? Get in there and intervene, man.
No. I was belted when I was younger, but I don't want to give the impression that I was abused (I wasn't).

It's not right. It shows the parents really just care about control, especially when they threaten to belt you over opinions you have that are different than their own.

Logic and reasoning are going to help kids behave better and respect their parents more.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Depends on either how much of a prick the kid is, and how severe he fucked up. Plus haven't any of you been in a store and saw some kid who NEEDED his ass beat?

Some people are this way because they were belted, making them feel angrier and more rebellious.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at May 16, 2011,
Quote by LordBishek
What the fuck? Spanking is a grey area, one I'd still vote no on, but beating your kid with a belt is just fucking obscene - What the hell are you doing sitting here and discussing this with us for? Get in there and intervene, man.

Yeah; my mom's dad used a belt on her and her siblings, used the side with the buckle one time. She said he'd also put her through pain just to see how much she could endure, e.g. twisting her toes. My parents never went past using a wooden spoon, which I'm thankful for. One of my friends said that he'd always put a bunch of pairs of socks in his underwear so that it wouldn't hurt as bad.
sunbather is shit
Just so you know, punishment like this, ESPECIALLY with children has absolutely zero positive consequences.

There are a few main effects:
1. As soon as the effects of the punishment wear off, the perpetrator will do it again.
2. The perpetrator believes him/herself to be the victim and displaces all blame upon the punisher.
3. The perpetrator learns to just not get caught next time.
4. The perpetrator becomes angry and disillusioned.

Self-esteem can also takes a major hit, though sometimes the opposite can happen.

There is absolutely no reason for corporal punishment. It's been proven ineffective. Positive reinforcement is far more effective. Reward good behavior as much as you can. And explain why bad behaviors are bad. Children often don't understand the reasons why they are punished. If you explain sternly why what they did was wrong, they'll be upset enough that their parent is upset with them. Then the parent can step in and say something like, "It's okay, you didn't know. Just don't do it next time, okay?" And then they learn.
there was a thread like this like. two weeks ago. so I'll just copy/paste my old post.

ahem.

honestly, I think more parents need to spank their kids. I was spanked. not like violently with a belt, but when I was bad I got spanked. and I've never gotten out of line at school, with the law, or anything.

some teenager's behavior these days is just appalling.
/rant.

but really, I don't see anything wrong with it. as long as your're not like. BEATING the kid to death. it's discipline.
In my opinion, it's okay to discipline a child (light spanking, slaps on the wrist) to let them know when they are doing someone wrong. The problem is when a parent actually loses self-control and becomes angry with their kid, that's where physical and mental injuries are a possibility.
Your old post makes just as little sense now as it did then. Scientifically speaking, you could be genetically hardwired to be a more calm kid. Since you have no control and no way of knowing what you'd have been like without the spanking, your experience here means nothing. There are plenty of kids that turn out quiet without every being so much as wristslapped by their parents.

I was beaten with a belt from the age of four, and I'm a smartass.

EDIT: to icesk8erqueen8
I think spanking once is sufficient...and just using the threat of spanking later on will get the job done. It worked for my parents haha, I was terrified of the 1,2,3 count!
Quote by icesk8erqueen8
there was a thread like this like. two weeks ago. so I'll just copy/paste my old post.

ahem.

honestly, I think more parents need to spank their kids. I was spanked. not like violently with a belt, but when I was bad I got spanked. and I've never gotten out of line at school, with the law, or anything.

some teenager's behavior these days is just appalling.
/rant.

but really, I don't see anything wrong with it. as long as your're not like. BEATING the kid to death. it's discipline.

I've never been spanked and I've never gotten out of line at school or with the law or anything either. Of course, I've broken laws before (who hasn't?), but you know.

and if you asked prisoners if they were hit as kids, I doubt that any more would say no than if you asked random people on the street.

by the way, I don't see you on the pit much, but I still remember you as the first person I spoke with on UG profiles (prolly cause of the whole a7x thing)
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

trueamerican +1

Just wait till Ur_all_$hit sees this. Supposing that's how spell his convoluted name XD
i don't know why i feel so dry
I was spanked (not belted) when I was a kid and it worked for me. It kept me in line and it also made me realize there are consequences for my actions, not just a strict talking. I personally support it as long it is not used in a fit of extreme rage, turning into abuse.
Quote by Lost Dog
Both happened to me as a kid. Bad times man.

gringo

yeah this happened to me as a kid
I never saw anything wrong with it
the real problem is parents nowadays
is not doing anything at all
or just saying "don't do it again"
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
There are also numerous studies that indicate that parents do not actually have too much of an effect upon the development of their kids. So beating children is useless, and therefore wrong.

Honestly, if spanking really had much utility, I would think that while it's not a good thing, it's acceptable because of its efficacy. But it is worse than ineffective, and therefore wrong.
Quote by Eastwinn
trueamerican +1

Just wait till Ur_all_$hit sees this. Supposing that's how spell his convoluted name XD

Paddy is the resident psychology expert

But I've done considerable research on this subject, particularly on the psychological effects of punishment.

PS call him Paddy, it's easier than his username.
xD I feel so blessed that you remember me :]

and hey. I'm just putting in my 2 cents guys. I mean, I'm not saying
BEAT YOUR KIDS BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T THEY'RE GOING TO BE CRIMINALS.
(although I can admit that my post did make it sound like that)
I'm just saying, that It didn't have a negative effect on me, and it seems to have worked just fine in the past.
I also believe that there is an age. like, don't spank a 1 year old because they're not going to know what the **** is going on. maybe 5+ year olds.
and i'm not saying you should smack your kid for every little thing
but if I was getting out of line, the threat of getting spanked made me shut the hell up and listen.
If I have kids I won't do it to them. I was spanked, but it didn't scar me for life or anything. It kept me from doing whatever I did wrong again.
Check out my band Disturbed
So according to the logic where punishing your children with a realistic punishment is bad, this would also imply that we shouldn't be putting criminals in prison?

If your kid gets grounded, he just knows that when he does something bad, he gets sent to his room and sits there the rest of the day. Or, if he gets hit, and it doesn't have to be over the top, it could just be a slight spanking, but then again every kid is different and parents will adjust their punishments accordingly.
I say yes, I was both spanked and belted a few times just to instill the fear and respect and then the threats of either was enough to catch my attention. I would say it was very effective, however I would agree that there are parents out there that get out of control and end up abusing the child.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Last edited by HowToFly at May 16, 2011,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_cognitive_development

Read that. 5 is still far too young. And at the age when it will have an effect, sitting them down, explaining to them that you're upset, and why what they did was wrong has a much more positive effect. Spanking does less than nothing positive. Just because it didn't end up harming you (by the way, there's no guarantee of that, but let's simply assume) doesn't mean that it isn't harmful on the whole. Because it is.
Quote by Eastwinn
trueamerican +1

I guess we'll just wait until...

shit hits the fan.

EDIT: I'm actually getting swayed to the other side.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at May 16, 2011,
Quote by rockingamer2
I guess we'll just wait until...

shit hits the fan.

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking