Page 1 of 2
ok so a bunch of people were telling me to sell my line 6 spider 2 212 and buy a tube amp...im gonna buy an epiphone dot...i play in a pop punk alternative band and we're trying to move over to an ava sound sorta...so would it really be neccessary for me to sell my amp and buy a tube?
Quote by mcamp1230
its always necessary to sell a line 6 spider

im not like getting mad or anything..but why does everyone hate on this amp...i like this amp...
ill buy it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I think the hate towards line 6 is completely unwarranted. Functionality they are great and taught me a tremendous amount about effects, settings, tone and what not.

The actual sound isn't as great as tubes but its a solid state what do you expect. You know how people jump on the bandwagon for sports teams doing good? They do the same with line 6, yet there is no reason to hate it, there are much worse.

Now if you have a spider solid state and you want a tube amp, of course the tube will sound better, but its unfair to compare tube and solid state when the solid state isn't trying to be anything more than solid state.
Haha... uhh, well everyone hates it because it's the amp that's more or less popular with the "kiddies" and the "noobs", generally. It's probably just some stereotype though. As for actual sound... well... there's way better. It's a modeling amp, so it's all digital. Nothing warm about it, to me. Get rid of it, get a tube amp. You can probably get a cheap tube amp that sounds tons better for the same price as your amp you have now.

And I believe that 100% was joking around...
I hope.
Oh and personally, I'm not a bandwagon hater, because I actually have a Spider half-stack and despise it. Too bad it's my brother's and I can't sell it. I have no money to buy my own rig.
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at May 16, 2011,
Quote by Kenjisan231
I think the hate towards line 6 is completely unwarranted. Functionality they are great and taught me a tremendous amount about effects, settings, tone and what not.

The actual sound isn't as great as tubes but its a solid state what do you expect. You know how people jump on the bandwagon for sports teams doing good? They do the same with line 6, yet there is no reason to hate it, there are much worse.

Now if you have a spider solid state and you want a tube amp, of course the tube will sound better, but its unfair to compare tube and solid state when the solid state isn't trying to be anything more than solid state.

so do u think id be fine if i just kept the amp? cuz i can tell the difference between the two...but i like the sound of my amp right now...i just dont know if its really worth it to try to sell it then buy a different amp
If you like it, keep it. Don't bow to peer pressure, especially from this forum...full of haters and fan boys. Use what you like, sell what you don't.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
If you like it, keep it. Don't bow to peer pressure, especially from this forum...full of haters and fan boys. Use what you like, sell what you don't.

if i did sell it..what would u reccomend i buy? i dont have a very high budget..just whatever i would get for this amp
Quote by greenday4u
if i did sell it..what would u reccomend i buy? i dont have a very high budget..just whatever i would get for this amp

Peavey Vyper 100.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Peavey Vyper 100.

isnt that thing almost exactly like the spider
Are you guys on drugs? All these theories about why everybody hates Spiders. Ockham's razor is appropriate here. They sound bad! That's the reason - period, end of story. Simple, accurate and straightforward. One simple, obvious answer.

You can often pick up used JCM900's for peanuts and they make a great punk amp. No good for anything else but a great punk amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Are you guys on drugs? All these theories about why everybody hates Spiders. Ockham's razor is appropriate here. They sound bad! That's the reason - period, end of story. Simple, accurate and straightforward. One simple, obvious answer.

You can often pick up used JCM900's for peanuts and they make a great punk amp. No good for anything else but a great punk amp.

So I heard you like JCM900's?
Quote by Norse Thrasher
So I heard you like JCM900's?

Actually I don't much. I own one as a backup/guest's amp because I got it insanely cheap. I have used it at punk/grunge gigs with no effects, just guitar > amp and it performed admirably. Still, if the JCM900 was the only amp I had access I'd probably start cutting myself but I'd still play. If the only amp I had access to was a Spider I'd probably just play my piano.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Actually I don't much. I own one as a backup/guest's amp because I got it insanely cheap. I have used it at punk/grunge gigs with no effects, just guitar > amp and it performed admirably. Still, if the JCM900 was the only amp I had access I'd probably start cutting myself but I'd still play. If the only amp I had access to was a Spider I'd probably just play my piano.

I'm not that hardcore about it. Mostly because that IS the only amp I have
I wish I had some money so I can get a little Blackstar or something. All I need. I don't need this half-stack haha. And it's Spiderness.
MG's are dreadful. It is an atrocity against man that they bear the Marshall logo. It's not a step up. Stay away from any Marshall that says MG, VS or AVT. They aren't tube amps. With the possible exception of the Lead 12, Marshall SS stuff is total crud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok so if i did buy a solid state (i know...blasphemy right?) what would u suggest....i dont really have much money
Quote by greenday4u
ok so if i did buy a solid state (i know...blasphemy right?) what would u suggest....i dont really have much money

maybe older ampeg? i have an 80's hybrid model, that sounds pretty good, cleans are better than the dirt though. picked it up for $50 and when used clean, sounds like the perfect cross between a Roland JC and a Fender Twin. however that amp should have sold in the $250-$300 range anywhere like on ebay, so i got a killer deal. just sayin'
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe older ampeg? i have an 80's hybrid model, that sounds pretty good, cleans are better than the dirt though. picked it up for $50 and when used clean, sounds like the perfect cross between a Roland JC and a Fender Twin. however that amp should have sold in the $250-$300 range anywhere like on ebay, so i got a killer deal. just sayin'

what do u think about this? i just typed in ampeg cuz u didnt give me much to work on lol...so ya its an ampeg cab with a peavey head for 300
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2381912960.html
Last edited by greenday4u at May 17, 2011,
It's not just blasphemy, those Marshalls just sound bad.
There are other SS amp that would do the job fine like an Ampeg VH-140C. The Crate GX130 is very similar to the VH140C (somebody correct me if that's the wrong model) and often go for less because the Ampeg has the name. I personally don't like them much but I don't hate them, they are loved by many and definitely a step up from what you have.
Be patient, JCM900's come up cheap all the time. They sold a metric shitload of them and they haven't held their resale price like other flagship Marshalls.
Jet City are worth a look at. You can get away with a lot with you genre. There's no set sound there. It's a good genre in that way, you can invent yourself and be accepted. It's so wide in scope tonally, anything from Fender Twins to Mesa Dual Rectos. Give us some bands your sorta aiming at.

Edit: That Peavey is a bass rig. It might work for Stoner/Sludge but no. Keep looking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 17, 2011,
If you like it keep it. I just sold my spider III combo today because I needed the money to get another amp. I don't really understand all of the hate on the Spiders, yes the Vypyr is better, but the Spider is pretty good for a modeling amp if it is EQ'd properly...
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
dont' buy a tube amp just because people tell you to. if you're ok with the Spider then stay with it for now, at least until you yourself gets sick of the ugly sound it produces.

I'm not one to tell you to sell your amp if you have no problem with it. Jsut don't waste your money on new pickups that's all. If you're OK with how your amp sounds, then spend your effort on playing guitar and getting better than upgrading your gear. There is no point in buying a tube amp if you don't know what you want. Tubes don't make an amp instantly good. Some tube amps out there suck hard.
Last edited by al112987 at May 17, 2011,
Quote by greenday4u
so do u think id be fine if i just kept the amp? cuz i can tell the difference between the two...but i like the sound of my amp right now...i just dont know if its really worth it to try to sell it then buy a different amp

Sorry it took so long to respond.

If you like the amp you have right now, stick with it. If you have an upgrade in mind try it out if possible at a guitar center or local shop. My only advice is that if you feel unsure about it don't do it, if your not into it you will regret the purchase. I bought a solid state half stack (because it was cheap) and I was going to get rid of my 75W spider IV but after I tried practicing on the half stack it was awful.

Now I bought the half stack for live performance, so it wasn't supposed to be a practice amp, I was just going to sell the combo, but after loosing all the Spider IV's functionality it was hard.

I love my Spider IV as a practice amp, it works well, does it sound the greatest? No but it does not sound bad, it gets frustrating hearing all the elitist BS about it. Yes its a newbie amp but its a good newbie amp, it teaches alot about functionality. For whatever reason everyone who bitches about new players forgets they were new.

But all in all its subjective, such as music, just because one person does not like it doesn't mean its bad, it means they don't like it. The people on UG hate spiders for whatever reason, it is a stereotype, and its not some conspiracy theory. Some may legitimately hate it, but if you want proof that people hate everything read the comments in the article section.

I've had shop owners state that Spider is one of the best SOLID STATE amps you can buy. I agree i've tried many brands of tube and solid state, I'm not saying they were all better i'm simply stating the spider is a good model. Of course a tube amp would be an upgrade SOUND wise but functionally speaking it may take some getting used to.

If you want to upgrade just make sure it feels right, try some models out, and if one blows you away buy it.
As much as I dislike the Spider, if you dont have a very high budget to upgrade, and you're happy with your amps sound now, then I suggest holding off for a while, saving up, and when you realise the Spider sounds awful sell it, and you'll have a nice budget for a nice amp.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
I own a spider and am looking to upgrade, I looked at a few SS amps but am getting a tube instead. That aside, a couple of nice solid states in a similar price range... Fender FM212R or the Laney LV100. Haven't played the Laney but the frontman I have, if there's anything that you need that it can't give you, then you're probably looking to upgrade your budget
Quote by Kenjisan231
I love my Spider IV as a practice amp, it works well, does it sound the greatest? No but it does not sound bad, it gets frustrating hearing all the elitist BS about it. Yes its a newbie amp but its a good newbie amp, it teaches alot about functionality. For whatever reason everyone who bitches about new players forgets they were new.

To be honest, as much as I do dislike the Spider series, I am going to agree with you with this statement. For someone starting out, the Spider is a great choice for them as it is straightforward and easy to use, and, like you said, teaches about functionality like what distortion does, what different effects like reverb, chorus, etc. sound like.

While me and everybody else here will agree that the Peavey Vypyr is 300x better than the Spider in sound, features, and build quality, I don't think the Vypyr is a great beginner amp. Think about it: do you think someone who has never touched a guitar or amp is going to know what all these strange and unfamiliar terms like "Dzl", "K-Stien", "Recto", "JSX", "XXX", "Classic Brit", and "Blackfac" are going to mean? Obviously not. A beginner's amplifier shouldn't be as confusing to them as learning the guitar itself.

To the TS: the Vypyr is NOT the same as the Spider. It has more and better sounding amp models, more and better sounding effects, better build quality, and is compatible with a GOOD foot controller. If you are in serious need of an upgrade sometime soon, the Vypyr 100 is a high step up from the Spider, but I would recommend saving up for something better.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Kenjisan231

YOU ARE REALLY BAD!!!!
you lie!!!!!

SS amps are great, the cheap ones are bad; so are the cheap tube amps...

on thread:

i would go for the vypyr tube 60 ( better than the 100 IMO ) <--- ask 311
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at May 17, 2011,
I actually agree with whats being said about the vypyrs for beginners not many beginners are going to know much about different amp models

I mean i'd always recommend one a vypyr or a cube over a spider but you have to admit the layout of the spider is really good.. sounds like dog shit though.

If someone did a model with sounds as good as the better modellers with the layout of the spider they'd be onto a winner IMO

Quote by GABarrie
I own a spider and am looking to upgrade, I looked at a few SS amps but am getting a tube instead. That aside, a couple of nice solid states in a similar price range... Fender FM212R or the Laney LV100. Haven't played the Laney but the frontman I have, if there's anything that you need that it can't give you, then you're probably looking to upgrade your budget

I would take a spider over the Fender FM. Just opinion but I owned one and Ive gotten alot better sounds out of a spider (not saying I like the spider but I still thinks its better than the fender). I do agree about the Laney though.

Keep the spider until you have the budget and desire for a better amp. As for a cheap punk tube amp, maybe a Peavey Windsor. Ive heard with some tweaks they work great for punk and stuff. Save your money then find something you really like, no point of going through 10 mediocre amps barely stepping up each time when you can save and wait for a nice amp. Its alot cheaper that way too, trust me. Stick with the spider till you don't like it or have the funds to get something nice.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by gregs1020
6505-112 combo.

I dunno if I'd get that for punk/pop-punk. Crunch channel would probably do decently but to be honest, it's a little high gain.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by shecter guy
Valvestates arent that bad actually. Not amazing, but not bad by any means honestly

You need to see a doctor, something is seriously wrong with your hearing.

TS: A Traynor is worth a look too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You need to see a doctor, something is seriously wrong with your hearing.

TS: A Traynor is worth a look too.

I had a valvestate for a while. It wasn't bad for what it was.

Also, the older 8xx0 series are FAR better than the VSxx or AVT series. I dig them... instant Death tone, and I quite like that sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I had a valvestate for a while. It wasn't bad for what it was.

Also, the older 8xx0 series are FAR better than the VSxx or AVT series. I dig them... instant Death tone, and I quite like that sound.

I had an 8100 in my jam room for a long time. Not even running it through a Soldano cab (the best 2x12 I've ever heard) could take the curse of the ugly pos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification