I've got to say EC around the Cream era is my favorite. I haven't been too mad about his more recent stuff, though I must say the album he did with BB King was awesome.

My vote for best track goes to Strange Brew...there's just something about that solo that brings me back time and time again.
i have to go further back to the bluesbreakers days. the 'beano' album featured a lot of good tracks.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
1965-2011 is my favourite Clapton era. Yeah, he's had a few dodgy albums, but they were mostly due to going too '80s' during the '80s, but he has never stopped being a fantastic guitar player, and songwriter and from what I've seen always puts on a good show.
I used to love Cream best, but now I think my favourite albums of his are the studio Dominos album and the live Dominos album. Even his new album I thought was good, granted it wasn't a hard rock album, or even a rock album at all, but the guy is 66, I think he's earned the right to sit down with a Gibson archtop every once in a while.
Best Clapton era ?

I started learning guitar in the early 70s because of EC (and Carlos Santana) and closely followed his artistic career since then, seeing him over 60 times in concert in 40 years.

Eric Clapton (as well as Jeff Beck) has never been as soulful, articulate, expressive, creative and relaxed as he is today. I'm glad he trimmed down the usage of his mid-boost, it reveals his magnificient mastering of dynamics.

Of course you can like his early work, but when in those times he was rehearsing and deriving his influences, today, his playing is a true reflexion of his soul.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
E.C.
Last edited by ColdGin at May 17, 2011,
I've got to agree with the posters who choose Eric's years with cream as his best. The grit and soul coming through his playing moved me more than any other time in his career - although I'd also have to say that playing with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker probably brought out the best in him as well.

Favorite track? It's a coin toss between Crossroads and Badge.

Great question. Thanks for posting it.
Quote by ColdGin
Best Clapton era ?

I started learning guitar in the early 70s because of EC (and Carlos Santana) and closely followed his artistic career since then, seeing him over 60 times in concert in 40 years.

Eric Clapton (as well as Jeff Beck) has never been as soulful, articulate, expressive, creative and relaxed as he is today. I'm glad he trimmed down the usage of his mid-boost, it reveals his magnificient mastering of dynamics.

Of course you can like his early work, but when in those times he was rehearsing and deriving his influences, today, his playing is a true reflexion of his soul.

E.C.

If that's true, you are awesome.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
If that's true, you are awesome.

Me ??? Gimme a break. I've no merit.
He's the one who kept it interesting all those years.

Last edited by ColdGin at May 25, 2011,
genuinely a great feat. Well done, and I'm very jealous!
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Cream Era... Crossroads, Im so glad, sleepy time, white room, badge, politician, there are so many great tunes there. Not that I don't like other things by clapton but his best was in cream. His tones, his licks, he's the man.
Quote by PhilJackon121
I've got to say EC around the Cream era is my favorite. I haven't been too mad about his more recent stuff, though I must say the album he did with BB King was awesome.

My vote for best track goes to Strange Brew...there's just something about that solo that brings me back time and time again.

I agree about the stuff he did with Cream. This was probably his best stuff. But I disagree about his best track. I think that his best was Sunshine of Your Life.

Just my opinion.

ron666
In my opinion, Layla & Assorted Love Songs is the best Clapton work. Though, that might because of my love of Duane. He does play incredibly though, and he was definitely inspired. Also, the band was great(thanks Delaney & Bonnie) and what could be better than Eric Clapton and Duane Allman jamming on some blues together??
Yup, Clapton clearly has a love for the Dominos albums too, that 'Tulsa' sound, has really defined much of his career from 1973 onwards. I think he found something he was happy with there.
Another Bluesbreakers fan here.

He had a good sense of when to play, and when not too then. Not that he really lost it, but he shone in that time.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Another Bluesbreakers fan here.

He had a good sense of when to play, and when not too then. Not that he really lost it, but he shone in that time.

i actually saw him play with the bluesbreakers on at least 2 occasions that i remember. john mayall was a hard band leader and liked to be the star of the band but that was pretty difficult with eric.

the main thing at that time was that nobody else in the world was playing guitar like he did.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Cream and Derek And The Dominos. Layla is an amazing album and with Cream he wrote some of his most recognizable songs. From the Cradle is also great. One of my favorite solo albums of his. Saw him a few months ago, amazing.
cream era for sure. his tone was beyond magnificent.

best clapton track. crossroads, hands down...flawless victory.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Cream era...the woman tone! Fantastic solos and rhythm; the sound of that Fool SG was raw and menacing, and of course Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker pushed that full sound even further. Favorite tracks gotta be Tales of Brave Ulysses and Deserted Cities of the Heart.
Best era is arguably Cream but not my favorite tbh even though I love Cream
Best Clapton track would be Old Love or Groaning the blues.
Derek and the Dominos. The track would have to be "Keep On Growing", or "Anyday".

His interplay with Duane Allman was impeccable.

I should point out that I'm an unabashed Duane Allman freak though.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 2, 2011,
Like a lot of people i got hooked by listening to the unplugged album but his best would be Derek and the Dominoes. That album was created from all the crazy passion for pattie boyd and you can hear it without a doubt. But his best track would be Old Love. Every time i see him play that song live, on youtube, he just blows me away with the solo and his singing.
Going with Derek and The Dominoes hands down. I've had this album on "repeat" on my ipod for the past week.

Amazing version of Little Wing.
Signature
I like just about everything he's done, but From The Cradle is one of my favorite blues albums. The licks, the tone, the soul, it's all in there. Definitely my favorite Clapton tunes.
I love Layla(Acoustic/Live Version) and Tears in Heaven. It shows off his sensitive side and songwriting abilities. Plus Tears is just such a heartfelt song. I have to say even though I love classic Clapton. The stuff from the last couple of decades is my favorite. From the Cradle is awesome BTW.

For those who might not know. This really made me appreciate the song more.

From Wikipedia
"Tears in Heaven" is a ballad written by Eric Clapton and Will Jennings about the pain Clapton felt following the death of his four-year-old son,[1] Conor, who fell from a window of the 53rd-floor New York apartment of his mother's friend, on March 20, 1991
Last edited by dopelope at Aug 5, 2011,
I'm a big fan of the Cream era. But for me none of his songs will ever come close to Tears In Heaven. The emotion he must have felt when writing it is an inspiration, and every time he plays it, he must be pouring his soul out to anyone listening.