hey there, just finally bought a 7 string guitar but played a 6 string for 12 years, wondering if any one would reccomend me any bands that i could get into(at the end i will name a few of my favorite bands so you can get an idea of what sound suites my pallette :P) i know korn and mushroomhead are the only 2 i can think of that i already listen to but for bands i like: agony scene(new stuff only) coal chamber, devildriver, darkest hour, cradle of filth, staind, not so much a huge fan of speed/thrash/hardcore/goth/plain out black metal and i never learned how to sweep pick yet for some stupid reason so if any reccomendations otherwise are out there...give er!!!
Trivium, All Shall Perish, and some After the Burial maybe?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

After The Burial, Meshuggah, Periphery, Born Of Osiris, Animals As Leaders, All Shall Perish, Emmure, For Today, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Trivium, Upon A Burning Body, and Unearth.

A few of those even use 8 string, and some don't always use 7. Also a couple bands that are 6 string but have insanely low tuning that could be done on a 7 string are Within The Ruins and The Contortionist.
Listen to Carcass. Sounds just about up your alley
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Judging by what you like to listen to, and what you don't, you don't need a 7 string at all. You'll use the range as effectively as those bands you listed. Should have done some homework man.
I will say, I find it a little odd you have been playing for 12 years and have not learned to sweep pick.. Most guitarist today have touched into it a little.
I just can't believe we're almost 12 years past nu-metal's heyday, and 7 strings are still getting used by guitarists who don't even know how to approach the extra range. When your specialty is low tuned groove riffing, you probably need less strings, not more.
Last edited by Iommianity at May 17, 2011,
Tuning Thread. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Quote by Iommianity
I just can't believe we're almost 12 years past nu-metal's heyday, and 7 strings are still getting used by guitarists who don't even know how to approach the extra range. When your specialty is low tuned groove riffing, you probably need less strings, not more.

Don't be so close-minded, man. Back when I got my 7 string I wanted it so I could play Korn songs and be "cool" like them, but having that extra range ended up opening a lot of doors for me as a guitarist that ended up pushing me to better myself not only in terms of playing but in terms of musicianship as well. I'm not an amazing guitarist by any means, but buying a 7 string was the best thing that ever happened for my playing.

Obviously it won't be the same for everybody, I'm just making the point that these things shouldn't be discouraged just because of a person's present music taste.
Check out the stickied tunings thread.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link