Hey all, so my group - Fiftieth Parallel (see sig) - won a 30 minute opening slot at a Delhi 2 Dublin show in Courtenay, BC, Canada.
Obviously, they are a much bigger and more well-known group than we are, and this is a slightly different show than what we're used to playing at (we've done decent sized coffee shop gigs so for ).
So I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for us so that we can do the best that we can. We've have amazing responses from our music so far so we're not worried about the standard of that. It's more the stage presence etc. Although, ANY advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan

EDIT: Played the show last night! It was awesome! Thanks for the replies
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Last edited by jon93971 at May 28, 2011,
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Relax. Who are you opening up for?

Delhi 2 Dublin.
I am relaxed Stoked! But relaxed for now. Nerves will probably kick in as we're about to go on but they dissappear once I'm on stage...
I'm just seeing if anyone has any advice for as we will be opening for a much bigger and more well known band. It is an amazing opportunity for us, and I just want to make the best of it.

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Oh, sorry. I thought Delhi 2 Dublin was the name of a festival or something.

I meant that relaxing is the best advice I can give for someone playing a bigger show. I wouldn't worry about being nervous on stage (mostly because I think it ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy).

That and make sure you've set up whatever equipment you're using properly. Amps out of place in respect to the building's acoustics will make the audience's experience suffer.

Good luck, in any case.
Yeah, I think the best thing you can do is just look forward to it. Whenever you play a gig, you should still try and feel the same responsibility to perform to your best whether it's to 5 people or 500 people - in fact, I find the harder gigs are the ones with a smaller-than-expected turnout, or when there aren't many people looking interested when the intro CD goes on.

Anyway, try and console yourself in the fact that so far neither of us replying has heard of Delhi 2 Dublin, so they don't dwarf you as much as you're making out! I wiki'd them, and it looks like they're only really that heard-of in Canada's world music scene.

Either way, you'll be fine - just make sure you're well-rehearsed and enjoy the experience of sharing the stage with someone you look up to.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I only know a few kernels of advice, but I hope they help:
Your face should match the lyrics. IE Smile if the song is supposed to be exciting. Don't smile while doing a song about a little girl that dies or something.

If you make a mistake, DON'T make a face. What the audience doesn't know won't hurt them.

Sometimes if the mistake is really obvious, just repeat it on purpose to make it seem like you guys are just doing an interpretation.

Introduce songs by name and don't take too long explaining them (or anything for that matter). Just a few sentences tops.

Good luck, and if you want to be a good sport, thank the audience for attending
I saw the featured video on your bands YouTube profile. Pretty good finger work, you guys are fast on acoustics. Provided you can replicate that kind performance while making some sort of a connection to the audience other than being in front of them, you should do well.

And I've never heard of that band you're opening for either. lol

Break a leg, man. And I'll second what was said above me: Thank the audience for coming. I think that's very important. Not just for your band, but for the places you play in and live music in general. It's harder to get people outside these days for a show, so make the most of it and try to keep 'em coming back.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at May 17, 2011,
Thanks for the replies. I'll admit, I hadn't of them either until a few weeks ago. But they are the midst of a North American tour so that to me means they are much more well known than we are at the moment :P
HardAttack, check out some of out other videos if you didn't. We're not all just about the fast finger work
Thanks for the replies! We'll be sure to take them on board!

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Thanks for the replies guys! Like I said, we are confident about our music, it's more the interaction side of the show.

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

A friend of my dad opened up for Styx not long ago. Just bring your show to their audience.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Thanks for all the replies! We played the show last night and it was awesome!!
El Tostito: Thanks for the kind words. Delhi 2 Dublin (who we opened for) is a fusion of Celtic and East Indian music with an electronic twist as well. Think fiddles mixed with sitars and tabla, all with a pounding electronic beat underneath.

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

TS ask your mother for advice, she has opened for big groups before.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
How big is this show? Actually, how big is Courtenay even? I'm not too familiar with all of the island.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
The show was easily a couple of hundred people. Which was quite a lot for us as we'd only played at coffee shops previously :p
The city itself is around 20,000. I believe, including the surrounding area, it is around 50,000.

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals