Been lurking on here for a while now, and I've learned a lot in the time I've spent listening to you advise and help people out. Learned not to buy a Line 6 Spider IV, instead got my Peavey Vypyr, which I wasn't even aware existed until trawling through stuff on here and I couldn't be happier. So, in short, thank you all.

Anyway, I've come with a little bit of a dilemma.
I have about £600/$1000 to spend, maximum, I'd prefer about 20% less, and I need a new guitar. Finally decided to start taking things more seriously, I've sat down and discovered after two years of messing around I can actually play some of the songs I dreamed about playing when I was a kid, and I want a new guitar that I can really call my own, preferably with a decent Trem.

Current setup is an Ibanez Destroyer (2003), with the stock unidentifiable pups and a fixed bridge, a guitar that I love and picked up second hand a few years ago pretty cheaply.
Amp-wise like I said above, Peavey Vypyr 15 which I'm happy with for now, along with my old Roland Cubes (15 and Micro).

In terms of the new guitar, I'm looking for something a little different, in a more superstrat style. I've played a ton of S and RG series Ibanez guitars and they haven't really stood out to me, and I've fallen for one of the new Charvel Promod Socals (HH). What I need help with is working out if I can get a better guitar for the same price, basically. This means that importing anything from the US is pretty much out of the question (Based in the UK!).

Link so you can take a look: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11041513370229.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance rendered, and sorry for the wall o'text.
(Also, first post! )
Best thing for you to do is head over to your closest guitar store, and play everything in your price range. Keep in mind the things you like, and go back another day. Do this until you have a good idea of what you want.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
That's how I ended up deciding initially on the Charvel, difficulty is it's hard to find a decent guitar store where I can sit down and directly compare it with something like a $1000 RG Prestige. Basically wondering if anyone here has played or owns one or something comparable that I haven't thought of and has had any issues, or a particularly good time with one.
Probably worth mentioning that I mostly play metal and classic rock.
Ibanez Destroyer's are sick guitars.
That Charvel looks alright,
my only concerns would be the Quality and the Pickups. Although Charvel's been around for a long time so quality might've improved since the 80's.
The Dimarzio pickups on that guitar the Tonezones or whatever, my guitar teacher had them on a guitar he got used, the pickups suck. I asked him to show me, they just have the most cloudy sound.
But I guess its all up to you buddy.
METAL!
Yeah, I'm never gonna stop using it. My one seems to be in a weird shade that I've never seen anywhere else, even on websites for collectors of Destroyers. Never seen one with the same config either, most of them are more exciting than mine xD.
I have my heart set on trading up a little... or at least sideways, if that makes sense.
I've watched a ton of reviews and demos of the Socal, and I agree about the Tonezones not being the hottest thing in the world, I actually prefer the SDs in the San Dimas, but the Socal would be my choice purely because it plays like a Vigier Excalibur, which is about 3 times the price.
I have to admit, I've barely gone near brands outside of Ibanez, wondering if I'm missing something in that price range that blows the Socal out of the water.
I reckon that this would change your opinion on Ibanez S guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Prestige-S1220TKS-/140538537651?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9212946388287304959#ht_500wt_1156

Or as far as Charvel go... They are very nice and if thats what you played and loved? Go for it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Have you looked at some of the cheaper ibanez jems there pretty cool and sound awesome but have quite a thick neck but they sound immense
you're gonna struggle to do much better than the charvel for £600 or so, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by -Ed-

If you like the Charvel and Ibby, have you considered something gtom Jackson (a DK Pro series is eell in budget)

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have a look at them.
Looking at a few different things I'm becoming more and more certain that I want to go for a superstrat, although that in itself is potentially thousands of guitars to choose from, heh.
The Socal fits the bill, but should I look for something a bit different in terms of the pickups?
I'm used to HH, never even owned a guitar with Singles.
Also toying with the idea of building my own.
^ I think the socal is routed HSH under the pickguard... if you aren't sure which pickup layout to go with, then it'd let you go with more or less anything you want (as long as you're willing to buy new pickups, pickguard etc. lol)- HH, HSH, HSS, HS, H... whatever you want, really.

obviously you have to like the look of the pickguard, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?