I am relatively new to effect modeling, and I am looking into upgrading from one of those two pedal mini Line 6 pedals to and full sized modeling rig for live shows, jamming, and recording. Currently I have my eye on the Guitar Rig Kontrol. I like how it can interface with Logic (Which I have) and I like the versatility and quality associated with it. I have to say it is a pretty sexy piece of hardware...

The one thing that I am unsure about is whether I actually need to have a computer physically with me when I play live. I am aware that a computer is needed to configure the pedal, etc. when it is first bought, but they are unclear on their website as to whether the computer HAS to be plugged into the pedal for your patches to work, and whether the pedal can function independently. I'd rather not have to lug my 24" imac around whenever I want to do a show... and if that is necessary, then I think I'll start looking at different options.
?

I thought the GR Kontrol was a controller for the software, not the source of the sound itself. It's like a keyboard. Can you play your mp3's with just the keyboard and speakers? Nope. You can't record music with a USB/Firewire interface alone.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's an interface, not the sound processor.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I was led to believe that you could "create" your own patches, etc on your computer using the Guitar Rig software, and then download them onto the pedal through the USB, and then unplug the pedal and jam away.

If that's not the case, then it's definitely not what Im looking for...
Quote by Karwash
I was led to believe that you could "create" your own patches, etc on your computer using the Guitar Rig software, and then download them onto the pedal through the USB, and then unplug the pedal and jam away.

If that's not the case, then it's definitely not what Im looking for...

That's not the GR then, that's the newer boss GT series or the POD Live.

The patches for guitar rig are setups for recording, not really live playing. at any point, you could suffer some sort of error that will screw up the latency , and the rest of your performance. I'm sure you could use it live, but I think it's more hassle than it's worth instead of the PODxt live.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra