OK, I'm pretty much certain I'm giving up chasing my ultimate valve tone on the grounds that I'll only ever achieve it after spending more than my meagre talent warrants and only at gig volumes. I think I'm at a stage where I'll sacrifice a little ultimate tone in return for being able to get that tone pretty much anywhare I play. My current rig is this:

Guitar - Marshall DSL401 - Marshall 1960A - Wah - Tuner - Compressor - Distortion - Overdrive - Delay - Chorus - Boost

I was looking at changing the DSL for a JVM 410H (£600 used) for gigs and a small modelling amp for home use (£100 used). I'd now like to just lose all the pedals, or at least as many as possible and use a multi-effects for both effects and amp modelling. I may still use the DSL for some tones but most will be modelled. This way I've got a 4X12 for gigs, a 1X12 for small events and headphones for late practice and home use. I've narrowed it down to the RP1000 and HD500. My only previous experience of Line 6 was the XT Live which I found to be awful but it sounds like they've made a lot of progress with this HD system. I'd like to know which of these multi-effects would be best for the following requirements:

1) Best amp models. I'm after 4 basic tones here but the more the merrier I guess: Clean; light distortion; a kind of hot-rodded Marshall and modern Metal.

2) Which will allow me to get rid of most pedals? I believe the Wah on the RP1000 isn't up to much for instance.

3) Which has the most flexibility in incorporating a real amp (4CM) and external pedals?

4) Is it possible on either of these units to send the amp model I'm using to my own amp and cabinet with no cabinet modelling and at the same time, send the signal to the PA with cabinet modelling turned on?

5) I'd also like the ability to be using a largely clean model and have the ability to kick in distortion for certain parts of the song smoothly and with no delay. I believe I can do that with the RP1000 in pedalboard mode but not sure about the HD500.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
HD500 By far! You can set the distortion to come on when you press the pedal etc. The amp models are amazing and Line 6 just released 3 new ones the other day, giving 19 HD amp models. They are the best multi-effects pedals in my opinion
Do the 3 new amp models just get downloaded with a firmware update?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I've heard the GSP1101 mentioned a few times as very good yet I've also heard that the RP1000 has the more organic amp models. I can't imagine why Digitech would do different ones for each product though! The real thing that puts me off the GSP1101 is that it costs more and I'd still have to buy a foot controller and find a place to house the unit. A floor processor is simply far more convenient.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I've heard the GSP1101 mentioned a few times as very good yet I've also heard that the RP1000 has the more organic amp models. I can't imagine why Digitech would do different ones for each product though! The real thing that puts me off the GSP1101 is that it costs more and I'd still have to buy a foot controller and find a place to house the unit. A floor processor is simply far more convenient.

The GSP and the RP have the same amp models.
Its great for low-mid gain stuff, not so much for uber br00tz high gain. FOr that, the POD is IMO better.

The GSP is 500 dollars IIRC, same as the RP. The controller is 200.
The GSP has a lot more flexibility effects and amp routing wise than the RP. If I had the cash, I would go for that.
That, or a used Eleven Rack.
The RP is a $100 cheaper @ $400 and even more so on the used market. I picked one up for $225 and eBay reports completed sales of around $250. My biggest complaint about the RP is the lack of multiple control assignments per footswitch or on the expression pedal. I'd have to look at the HD to see how it does it.

The problem with going to both a PA and an amp is more than cab models. Usually the XLR will have "speaker emulation/compensation" which is different than cab modeling. Cab modeling is for shaping your overall tone. Speaker emulation is for filtering the output signal to go into a mixer or PA. But a tone suitable for a PA (w/ speaker emulation) may not be suitable for a guitar amp and vice versa. It really depends on the individual setup.
go for the rp...i've used both while shopping for pedals and the rp is definitely better. i actually finished up with an old 350, it was much cheaper than the others and i blew my money on a sexy jackson.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
I'm a bit stuck now. Loads of people tell me these things sound fantastic but equally, many people seem to qualify that by saying that when playing live, multi-effects units get lost in the mix, especially when using amp modelling. I'd love the simplicity and cheapness of a multi-effects but I need it to work in a gigging situation. Can anyone with live experience of these units please give me some information on how well they work live.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I'm a bit stuck now. Loads of people tell me these things sound fantastic but equally, many people seem to qualify that by saying that when playing live, multi-effects units get lost in the mix, especially when using amp modelling. I'd love the simplicity and cheapness of a multi-effects but I need it to work in a gigging situation. Can anyone with live experience of these units please give me some information on how well they work live.
My buddy uses the HD500 when gigging. He actually uses an HD500 with a Digitech GSP1101 in the loop of the HD500. He runs the amp models in parallel and blends them. And also uses the midi functions on the HD500 to control the GSP1101. He has some external expression pedals and a Fulltone OCD on the board too.

He sounds great. The key to sounding good is to have a good ear and spend a substantual amount of time adjusting your patches. Nothing beats experience.
Id' go with the Pod. Though remember that using a modelling pedal/processer into a proper amp and then the cab is going to sound weird. You're going to have to keep your amp with a totally flat EQ which means the amp's own channels will be near useles sand you'll have to do a lot, LOT of tweaking with whatever procesor you get to get the modelling tones sounding decent. Really with things like Pods and RP you're supposed to run them either straight to a mixer, straight to a cab or at least through a very, very clean solid state amp with a lot of headroom. Running them into a mid-high gain tube amp is going to be iffy.
Well, using the 4CM, when using amp modelling the multi-effects will be routed straight into the effects return so the amp itself should have no impact on the tone. I will merely be using the power section to amplify and I was wanting to do it with a valve amp to add some real valve warmth to the tone. I'd also considered putting something with a tube before the modelling too, like an HT Dual or EHX Tube Zipper. Last time I tried a multi-effects unit I tried a Power Engine to amplify it but the sounds were uninspiring and I thought it was better through the effects return of a valve amp. Having said that, playing it through a Mackie SRM450 was very good.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Doadman, my friend's rig that I described above is run into the FX return of a Rebel 20 with a 2x12 cab. When the gig is in a smaller facility he uses a Laney keyboard amp with a guitar speaker.
Honestly from the sound of it you might be best off geting a Line 6 Spider Valve MkII head. Tube preamp and power amp sections but with digital modelling, works kind of like an expanded EQ. It's got delay, chorus, flange, tremolo, phaser and reverb built in. A compresser and noise gate too I think. I think with the modulation effects like chorus and tremolo you can actually only have one of those on at a time, but you can still have one of those plus delay plus reverb plus compressor and noise gate. The top two FBV foot controllers they are used with have a wah pedal that works as a volume pedal when you have the wah off or the very best one has a dedicated wah and a dedicated volume pedal. Even though it's got the Spider name it doesn't sound anything like the Spider solid state amps, the sounds on the Spider Valve MkII are the same as the ones in the HD processors.

That head and foot controller would do everything you're trying to do but will be much simpler. And they can be combined with more pedals if you really wanted to layer up the delay or whatever.
The Spider Valve MkII and the Tube Vypyr have both crossed my mind for the same reasons you mention but I was put off because:

1) Once you factor in the foot controller they're not exactly cheap

2) I was under the impression that neither of them had an effects loop to add additional effects like a boost pedal.

Of course, if I can work in additional pedals, especially for that all important boost, it may be worth looking at again.

EDIT: I thought it was the DT50 that used the HD technology but they are massively expensive for what they appear to be.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Doadman
The Spider Valve MkII and the Tube Vypyr have both crossed my mind for the same reasons you mention but I was put off because:

1) Once you factor in the foot controller they're not exactly cheap

2) I was under the impression that neither of them had an effects loop to add additional effects like a boost pedal.

Of course, if I can work in additional pedals, especially for that all important boost, it may be worth looking at again.

EDIT: I thought it was the DT50 that used the HD technology but they are massively expensive for what they appear to be.

The Vypyr tube would be great. I much prefer it to a Spider Valve, and I dont hate the spider valves like I do the solid state spiders. The vypyr is just simply amazing.

You dont need a loop for a boost. Just put it in front of hte amp. It also has a tubescreamer built in, but its not as good as putting a real boost in front of it IMO.
ugh i smell necro
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/