hey all,

i have a ibanez s470 with the ZR trem.

iv had it about to years now and its just started to feel like there is some resistance in it and an audible sort or squeek i can here when not plugged into the amp.

how do i go about putting it back to how it was? i do not feel confident to take off all the pieces and strip it down ect, would some wd40 in where the whammy goes and up into it from the back do any good ? cheers
Quote by stig354
hey all,

i have a ibanez s470 with the ZR trem.

iv had it about to years now and its just started to feel like there is some resistance in it and an audible sort or squeek i can here when not plugged into the amp.

how do i go about putting it back to how it was? i do not feel confident to take off all the pieces and strip it down ect, would some wd40 in where the whammy goes and up into it from the back do any good ? cheers

I'm assuming that this squeek is coming from the springs as you move that trem arm up and down (as you reference WD40...) I had the same problem on one of my guitars, most of it was fixed by replacing the springs in the back with new springs. One still makes a nasty noise but that's because it rubs on the body slightly when dive bombing real deep (it's a suped up strat that hasn't been routed properly).

If you don't know whether it is the springs making the noise, try dive bombing whilst touching them. The noise shouldn't sound when you are touching them...that is if it is in fact the same noise I am thinking of...
WD40 is a temporary fix; oil should be used if you've located the problem.
You should remove the back plate and start flailing the trem around and use your ears to find the problem piece.
Just put a little bit on; if there's less squeak, you're heading in the right direction.
It's less messy than putting oil on first.

It also smells nice.
Quote by Silent Murder
WD40 is a temporary fix; oil should be used if you've located the problem.
You should remove the back plate and start flailing the trem around and use your ears to find the problem piece.
Just put a little bit on; if there's less squeak, you're heading in the right direction.
It's less messy than putting oil on first.

It also smells nice.

nice? its the best smell there is out there... maybe brasso ?

yeah cheers for all the help guys
bones speed lube for precision skateboard bearings is ideal, thats what i use on my zr and not a single problem. but anything fine oil, avoid wd40 or oils with protective coatings like teflon as they actualy cause more wear

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
I've also heard some graphite will help as well on knife edges and such.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)