Hi

I'm wanting a gigging bass amp preferably for £100, but willing to stretch to £150/200. Doesn't have to be new.

I was looking at Behringer Ultrabass 900, but seen in the FAQ to stay away from them.

The bassist in my current band has a really nice Laney and only spent £80 on it, but can't find out what model it is.

Thanks for the help.
Praise be to Jeesers! Someone actually read the FAQ!

For that kind of money you're just going to have to keep a vigilant eye on your local Gumtree and eBay. Old Trace Elliot, Ashdown and Peavey stuff is probably going to be your best bet. You don't really want anything less than 200 watts either.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I've played some really great Acoustic amps. Not sure what the exchange would be, but the BH100 combo runs about $250 USD new.
^ Not in the UK. Acoustic is owned by GC (and only sold through GC and musiciansfriend.com) so its far too difficult for anyone outside of North America to get their hands on new Acoustic gear.

+1 to used Peavey, Ashdown, and Trace. Keep an eye out for used GK MB combos too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ Not in the UK. Acoustic is owned by GC (and only sold through GC and musiciansfriend.com) so its far too difficult for anyone outside of North America to get their hands on new Acoustic gear.

+1 to used Peavey, Ashdown, and Trace. Keep an eye out for used GK MB combos too.

I believe GC ships to the UK now, and the prices aren't too bad...
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I just checked GC's site and you're right. When did they start doing that?

Pretty soon our shitty chain stores will be on your side of the pond. GC is the McDonalds of guitar stores.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
2 or 3 months ago i think? Fairly recently

I can see it happening. But maybe then we'll get stores that have fairly regular stock coming in
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Yeah they do. But then you've got the voltage thing to worry about. Are the transformers multi-tapped? Do they come switched or do you need to do it yourself/pay a tech to do it? External voltage switch or internal? That's if they even are multi-tapped if they're not you'll be shelling out as much as you paid for the amp for a decent step down tranformer.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
bump.....XD
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
After a month, you've probably realized that you're asking for a lot of amp for only one hundred GBP. Save more and start checking out the used offerings. Some good used Peavey stuff can be found in the 200 GBP range.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I would suggest that you save a bit more.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
TS hasn't posted back since starting the thread a month ago. Not exactly sure why ETHANEVIL went and found this and felt the need to bump it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Maybe it was my questions/statement thingy about shipping the Acoustic amps internationally?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Ok, sorry for the lack of communication. Found a an amp for £130 on ebay few weeks back. Laney HCM160B.
Played it at practice the other week and does the job. Sounds good and is deff loud enough (not past half way).

Cheers for the help.