Hey, Ive been playing bass for about a year now and have bought a guitar about a month ago and am wondering which direction is best for learning. Ive taught myself a couple of easier songs on guitar trying to get use to it (guitars feel so small after only playing bass for a while lol).
Ive learnt:

American Idiot - Green Day
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Fast car - Tracy Chapman
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

and Ive taught myself a few basic chords, so any easy-ish songs with essential chords in would be a great help if anyone could suggest some? And what else to learn

Thanks
run to you bryan adams?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
green day is almost always very simple,good riddance and minority is good for open chord shapes and picking.
other songs: american pie is also good for changing open chords quickly and you shook me all night long by ACDC is easy aside from the solo, thunderstruck is fun too. with the songs you've learnt you probably have power chords down pat so maybe you should focus on being light on the strings (the way you can't be on bass) and get barre chords smooth.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Get yourself an old acoustic with bad action, a clunky neck and medium gauge or higher strings. When you can play that and make it sing you'll be ready for any guitar. If you learn on a good electric with .09 strings and low action then that's all you'll be able to play.

Though you do play bass, so maybe not for you. But that's what I tell beginners.
lolwut?

"Get yourself an old acoustic with bad action, a clunky neck and medium gauge or higher strings. When you can play that and make it sing you'll be ready for any guitar. "

Yeah, if you don't give it up in the process.

"If you learn on a good electric with .09 strings and low action then that's all you'll be able to play."

If that's what you want to play, is that a problem? I've been playing for 10 years, and I don't even own an acoustic, and most of my guitars are strung with 9s.

I mean, sure, if you learn on a car with automatic transmission you'll struggle when you move to a car with manual transmission, but if you never intend to buy or drive a manual transmission car... who cares?

And if you do, you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The automatic tranny analogy is one that I've used before. Of course you're right -- if all you ever want to play is one type of guitar then learn on that guitar and you'll be fine. Down the road you can try something else if you want. But I still think beginners should pick up an acoustic (though it doesn't have to be clunky with bad action). It just gives you the fundamentals better than any electric could. After learning on an acoustic, playing an electric feels pretty easy.

BTW, I've heard plenty of stories of people being screwed because they didn't know how to drive a manual.
yeah, sure, but guitar's hardly in the same league as that, lol.

I just think you should learn what you actually want to play... life's short enough as it is without wasting a bunch of it for no good reason.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?