I've been thinking about getting a second guitar (you may have seen my Epi Wilshire thread last month, I'm just keeping my options open), which I won't be getting for at least a year. But, I've thought that I could possible put together my own Fender El Cabronita, by buying a body from Warmoth.com, and putting on a Fender neck.

Can anyone describe how TV Jones pickups sound, particularly on a solid body guitar. I've trawled the internet and haven't found much, and on YouTube the majority of videos had people playing country on Gretsch's. Would these pickups be suitable for indie or garage rock? I play lead licks and rhythm, with Bloc Party, Two Door Cinema Club, and Radiohead all being big influences on my guitar style and sound.

I'll be going for a single pickups set up, in the bridge position. I'm not a huge fan of humbuckers, but am willing to get one if its worth it. I already have a Tele, and don't feel the need to get another guitar that sounds the same.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I'm seriously hoping someone will answer this question - I'v been having the exact same one ><'

(sorry for giving you the false hope someone actually responded)
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
i think at the end of the day you could make it cover whatever you want. anyways i dont have the 'magic' answer for you but here are some sound clips (which dont really do anything anyways considering it wont be the same guitar body you have)

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Apr/TV_Jones_Model_10_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-309481.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/31635-tv-jones-pickups-les-paul.html

the first and third have sound samples. good luck
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
TV Jones makes a pick-up for all types of music, but if you're after a traditional single coil, look elsewhere. TV Jones does make single coil pick-ups, but they're P-90 style.

If you want to hear rock tones out of TV Jones pick-ups, Malcolm Young from AC/DC uses them in his Gretsch, and Tim Armstrong's signature Gretsch is also equipped with TV Jones Pick-ups.

As far as solid bodies, Youtube Gretsch Pro-jet, or Corvette, and you'll have a better chance of hearing people demo rock with them.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Last edited by Petey D at May 17, 2011,
The best answer is that they sound like the hottest piece of äss you've ever imagined. Listen to Brian Setzer's recent albums. His latest is $8 on Amazon and almost then entire album was recorded with his new Gretsch sig guitars, all of which have TV Jones pickups.
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check out those websites, and some videos of CVTs, Pro-Jets, and maybe even demos of the Malcolm Young signature.

Does Brian Setzer use a solid or hollow body guitar?
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
^ Yeah, he does. From the way you describe your musical interests, I don't think Brian Setzer's sound is what you're looking for. Which is why I didn't mention him. He plays clean, through Vintage Fender Bassman amps with a lot of reverb and delay. I didn't think rock-a-billy or big band sound would give you a good demo.

Jim Heath aka The Reverend Horton Heat also plays Gretsch 6120 Hollowbodies with TV Jones classic pick-ups through 70's Fender Super Reverb amps. He plays dirty a fair bit, so you could check him out too.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Jack White uses a couple of Grestches with TV Joneses in the Raconteurs. Is that more the sound you're looking for?
So to clear up the sound I'm going for.. I mostly play clean, with a little natural overdrive. I want pickups that will hold up to distortion, though. I run my guitar through a few effects, with a bit of distortion and delay. As I've said before, I prefer single coils, but I feel that a TV Jones will have a bit of single coil tone to it, and if I'm going to get another guitar it may as well be different to my current one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6tKGFnemU This is sort of the guitar tone I'm going for with this guitar
Fender MIM Jaguar
Also, I should have a Vox AC30 before I get the guitar.
Fender MIM Jaguar