Page 1 of 8
This is a thread dedicated to all things Terraria, if you have not seen or played the game yet you can get a look at it Here
There is also an XNA alpha package available if you do a little googling.

It's similar to Minecraft in the respect that it is a multiplayer server based exploration/sandbox game. It is available on Steam, but sadly there is no Mac version as of yet.

If this thread gains some interest I will include a list of servers people post/create or recommend in the OP and we can build on it from there.

For all already playing the game, there is a great new wowhead-esque Wiki emerging, that is more visually appealing that the current Wiki, that site can be found Here

Welcome to Terraria!
I have the beta version. Need to play it a bit more before I buy the full version though. I hear some of the stuff has been changed quite alot?
TRANSFORMICE

Minecraft in 2D?
I get bored of Minecraft quickly enough so I'll give this one a miss.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by tallicafan888
I have the beta version. Need to play it a bit more before I buy the full version though. I hear some of the stuff has been changed quite alot?

Retail is quite different to the Alpha, I haven't played it much as I'm currently running on a Mac (PC is dead). You should check out some of retail version clips on youtube
Quote by thorne400
Retail is quite different to the Alpha, I haven't played it much as I'm currently running on a Mac (PC is dead). You should check out some of retail version clips on youtube

Yea I think I will. That site you linked is good, I was using a wiki but it didn't have much information on it.

Do you have the program to see the whole map? It's pretty useful if you wanna see everything.

Edit: I found the link for it if you are interested. Dunno if I'm allowed to post it on here though.
TRANSFORMICE

Last edited by tallicafan888 at May 17, 2011,
Seems fun. Gonna check it out

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by tallicafan888
Yea I think I will. That site you linked is good, I was using a wiki but it didn't have much information on it.

Do you have the program to see the whole map? It's pretty useful if you wanna see everything.

Edit: I found the link for it if you are interested. Dunno if I'm allowed to post it on here though.

I'd love that link
And thank you, TerrariaHub is actually a project we are working on at the moment, still filling it up with data though, so don't be discouraged by it's lacking, it is growing slowly :P

EDIT: If you were interested in helping out with terrariahub.com, you can send any info we don't have to us through the 'Submit Data' Function.
Last edited by thorne400 at May 17, 2011,
http://www.mediafire.com/?xln33w6zx36j2yy

If you install it into documents/mygames/terraria/worlds

You need to make sure your world file is in the same folder as the application, then open and run. I haven't tried it on the retail version but I presume it will work as it works on the beta/alpha version.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by tallicafan888
http://www.mediafire.com/?xln33w6zx36j2yy

If you install it into documents/mygames/terraria/worlds

You need to make sure your world file is in the same folder as the application, then open and run. I haven't tried it on the retail version but I presume it will work as it works on the beta/alpha version.

Thank you good sir.
Quote by frankibo
Minecraft in 2D?
I get bored of Minecraft quickly enough so I'll give this one a miss.

It's not Minecraft, so don't compare it to Minecraft. Although it has sandbox and DIY elements that are similar to Minecraft, the game itself is far from it.

Need to get it, I've been following it for months.
Quote by Baby Joel
It's not Minecraft, so don't compare it to Minecraft. Although it has sandbox and DIY elements that are similar to Minecraft, the game itself is far from it.

The video:
"The adventure is yours to mold"
"Randomly generated worlds to explore"
"Journey with your friends"
"Create your world"

The description:
"Grab your tools and go! You can do many things in Terraria: make weapons and fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes, dig deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things, gather wood, stone, ores, and other resources to create everything you need to make the world your own and defend it. Build a house, a fort, even a castle, and people will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey."

And you expect people not to compare it to Minecraft.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

It's nothing like minecraft really.

Cuz zombies don't raid your home like they do in terraria, Plus Terraria is an RPG whereas Minecraft isn't really. (well less)
Don't ****ing act like Terraria is nothing like Minecraft :P
You have to be incredibly dense to think that.
It's a survival game with a lot of blocky aspects.
Just because Terraria is 2D, has more items and mobs, and has circles doesn't mean it isn't still a lot like Minecraft.
I think it's that people think comparing Terraria to Minecraft is a bad thing. They both have their ups and downs.

I don't have the full game yet, but I have a beta-ish version and so far it's really fun.
< got full. and institutions, if you really say games are alike by judging their looks, you could say minecraft looks bloody much like Doom 1? amirite?

Well it's not like the game at all. Minecraft is more build based. and Terraria is Character based.
It's a bit foolish to deny they have no similarities. From the description, it would be easy to get the impression that the makers of this game were doing a minecraft knockoff. And while the gameplay vid looks rather unique, similarities are still there.
It looks really shit.

It took away the main feature of minecraft that made it interesting.
Just bought it, not tried it yet, I've seen the Yogscast, X and Seananners playing it and it seems alright.

Though there's no denying it is very much like Minecraft...yeah sure it's got differences but come on...you're just kidding yourself if you think they're completely different beings, it's like one's Death Metal and one's Blackened Death Metal...

I don't know metal sub-genres very well but I think that second one is real.

Anyway I best get trying it out
Quote by Jako215
3d graphics??

Creativity.

By the way, I was only comparing it to minecraft because it was in the OP.
Quote by Jako215
Give it some time. You will start seeing replicas of the Empire state building and Mario monuments once it blows up like Minecraft did.

I doubt that. however, always a fool.
I watched Seananners play a little bit of this, it looks boring. Then again, I don't play video games that much. I played Portal 1 & 2 about a month ago, and before that I hadn't played a game in probably 4 or 5 years.

I want my gamer childhood back
Tis a fun game. Not really like Minecraft at all. More focused on resource gathering for crafting over resource gathering for construction. Building a house is much quicker, then your focus is exploring and killing stuff.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I tried it, and didn't really like it.
The more adventure/fighting/action aspect of it is good, except it lacks direction. With Minecraft (I know I said not to make comparisons, but everyone is, so why not) you have so much creativity that you can use to make the game endlessly entertaining. With Terraria, that creativity is limited, and as such, the focus is on the action. But it has no direction, except "summon meteor, kill the Skeletron," etc. There's no underlying goal, which I don't really like.
But whatever, to some people it will be awesome, to others it won't.
Quote by Baby Joel
I tried it, and didn't really like it.
The more adventure/fighting/action aspect of it is good, except it lacks direction. With Minecraft (I know I said not to make comparisons, but everyone is, so why not) you have so much creativity that you can use to make the game endlessly entertaining. With Terraria, that creativity is limited, and as such, the focus is on the action. But it has no direction, except "summon meteor, kill the Skeletron," etc. There's no underlying goal, which I don't really like.
But whatever, to some people it will be awesome, to others it won't.

There's no underlying goal to Minecraft either though. Which is why we do silly things like inventing a league to play Spleef in to keep entertained I don't see that working in action-oriented 2D so you may be on to something.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

But with Minecraft you can create so much more. If you say "I want to build a giant Pacman being followed by the ghosts" you can do it. In Terraria, you just can't.
But yeah, no spleefing in Terraria.
Quote by Darkmaus
< got full. and institutions, if you really say games are alike by judging their looks, you could say minecraft looks bloody much like Doom 1? amirite?

Well it's not like the game at all. Minecraft is more build based. and Terraria is Character based.

Why are you exaggerating parts of my post and ignoring others?
Comparing Minecraft to Doom is a hell of a lot different than comparing Minecraft to Terraria. The only thing Minecraft and Doom have in common is that they're played in first person.
I'm not judging the game based on looks alone, there are key fundamental similarities and i'm not sure why you can't agree with that.

Similarities: Blocky world, harvesting and then building with said blocks, the ability to craft more blocks using others, pickaxe, axe, sword, bow and arrow, torches, cave systems, crafting lesser items into greater items, a day/night cycle where evil monsters come at night and leave in the day, chests, etc.

They may not focus on exactly the same thing and there are many differences, but you cannot tell me you can't see the similarities. While they both focus on different aspects, Minecraft on aesthetic building and Terraria on character building, there are enough similarities that you can compare the two.

I'm not sure if you think by comparing Terraria to Minecraft i'm trying to take away from Terraria as a game. I'm not. Terraria is freaking awesome. I haven't touched Minecraft at all in a few days because of it.

Anyways, i'll stop the long posts here as I don't like internet debates. They just make the people on both sides look really lame :P
Sorry if I used terrible grammar or word choice, but I don't read over my posts before I post them. I also tend to type as the words pop into my head, so sorry if the sentences are bad

tl;dr - I love lasagna

/thread derailment
Quote by institutions

They may not focus on exactly the same thing

Exactly my point.
I'm terrible at this game.

I've got to mid-underground (the area with the skeletons and momma slimes) and I always die pretty fast.

But I have the demolitions guy and the merchant residing in my world. Wish I could find one of those...more health thingies.

I can't find myself getting too hooked on this game, but it is quite fun.
We(my friends and I) defeated Skeletron, however we always call him Skeletor.
Makes it more epic.
meh, the game got released 2 months before date. give it some time to get patched and stuff.