Hi I'm upgrading my rig at the moment I'm getting a line 6 spyder 3 150w amp as It's very versatile and can do a lot. Im going to have to buy a ffbv express pedal for it as the one im getting is a deal of a mate and they dont have the pedal. I need to get a new electric guitar too but I need something versatile a lot of my songs are suited to acoustic but I'd rather play them on an electric with some effects and need something which is strummy with a bluesyish/ska feel clean and but can do some nice crunchy metal. Probably a guitar and pickup reccomendation would be best. Probably something semi-pro price range of £300-£400 for guitar and possible an extra bit for pickups on top of that. I've played a few ibanez electrics and they don't seem to sit right for me, maybe a Ltd les paul would be more suited for my style with some upgraded pickups? but I'm wary of what ltd to get as they have quite a varied range of budget guitars.
how much do you have for pickups?

I only ask because it might make more sense putting that into the guitar, which might already have decent pickups fitted.

yeah don't get a line 6 spider, they're not great. EDIT: unless you're getting an absolute smoking deal from your mate... if he's letting you have it for like £50, say, then go for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 17, 2011,
He's offered it to me for like 100/120 it's barely been used. I'll check out some other amps in the shop but i doubt i'll get anything near as good for as cheap. I had a lot of fun playing on it though and compared to my peavy 130w special (pretty darn old) my electric sounded amazing through it.

At most my maximum budget would be £500 but it would be an absolute top.
I recently bought a fender mustang iii 100w. Those things are amazing modeling amps. Surprisingly, you get a really warm tube sound from a few amp models. I traded in my Spider iv because it was useless. The only good setting on the Line 6 is the crunch, but thats the only one that doesn't have a noise gate. The "insane channel" is unbearable, the clean isn't very clean(you can hear some grit to it even with the gain set low) and the metal is........metal. Basic and simple layout.

While trying out the amps, the VOX valvetronix really sounded great but didn't have as much to offer as the Mustang iii. The only problem with that is that there are too many options (yes....too many options can be a bad thing at times) and it takes me five minutes to decide if i want to use the 65 deluxe or bassman for clean tones, and if i should add alot of overdrive or a little distortion.

It does get frustrating at times, but I still love it.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC:

If you buy used, you might be able to snag a PRS. Maybe a telecaster but I doubt that can do metal. Many big brands don't offer guitars like that. Ibanez and Gibson are out of the question. ESP has a few cheaper ones that are versatile, but overall, I think a PRS would be best suited for all those genres.

Have you considered semi-hollow or hollow bodies? They tend to have a little more reverb but some rock/metal guitarists use them(like Borland).
ok, thanks

if you can still find one, maybe a yamaha pacifica 812v?

regarding the amp... yeah that's probably a fairly good deal, though I'm not fussed on spiders. adding the cost of the amp to the cost of the footswitch you'll have to buy will have you around £200... you'll not be getting anything tube that'll be versatile enough at that kind of money, but it might be worth trying some of the other modellers just in case you prefer them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?