Hello everyone,

I have been playing for a little more than a year, and I play mostly metal.

Rythmic speed isn't really a problem for me (I can downpick Master of Puppets and Creeping Death without major problems).

I'm ok at some little solos such as the intro to Fade to Black and Welcome Home Sanitarium, as well as the main solo of Nothing Else Matters. (I know I know I play way too much Metallica).

I can play all the riffs of the following songs:

Seek And Destroy, The Four Horsemen, Am I Evil, Creeping Death, Trapped Under Ice, Fade To Black, Master Of Puppets, Battery, Welcome Home Sanitarium, Orion, Disposable Heroes, One, And Justice for All, Enter Sandman, Symphony Of Destruction, Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado Of souls, Raining Blood, Angel of Death, War Ensemble, South of Heaven, Dead Skin Mask, aaaaaaand Indians.

As you can see, I am a big 4 guitarist (please don't laugh).

I can play the rhythm to all these songs but I can't help but think I'm missing something. I know my major, minor, blues, pentatonic major/minor and harmonic minor scales as well as a few chords, I can improv a little bit, but I feel like I should play better.

After 1.2 years of playing, what should I be able to do? (which solos should I be able to play?)

Thanks alot.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Why would we laugh because you like thrash metal?

Because I reckon people think that only playing songs from a few bands is "lame"...
I'm paranoid ._.
well it depends how much you practice but thats seems alright to me, if you can play all the rhythm for those songs at least you can consider yourself a rhythm player lol
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I really don't like questions like these. People develop at different speeds and there is no set number of solos or riffs you should be able to play after a certain time. Are you pleased with your development? If the answer is no then you just have to put more time and effort into your playing until you develop at a pace that you like (Don't be too hard on yourself though, very few of us are naturals at the guitar) Just take your time.
There is no "should" - everybody learns different things in ways at different speeds, you'll be good at the things you've practiced and practiced well, you won't be good at the things you haven't. It's a pretty straightforward equation, you get out what you put in.

So, if there's something you can't do it's because you didn't practice it enough. what other people may or may not have done has no bearing on your own development.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I'm gonna get angry metalhead at you. The big four should be the big 6. I mean exodus started the genre and testament was formed the same year a megadeth.
It was just marketing for a tour with metallica, slayer, anthrax, and megadeth

So go learn some exodus and testament. But yea your where you should be I've been playing longer than you and you can play more than I can and you can probably do it better.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 17, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull
So, if there's something you can't do it's because you didn't practice it enough. what other people may or may not have done has no bearing on your own development.

True, but you can't expect me to play some Micheal Angelo Batio now x)
It's still the same root cause though - you didn't practice enough. Now, the reason you didn't practice something enough may be because "enough" would equate to several thousand hours haven't been alive that long, but it still all boils down to the amount of practice you do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Well I'm gonna get angry metalhead at you. The big four should be the big 6. I mean exodus started the genre and testament was formed the same year a megadeth.
It was just marketing for a tour with metallica, slayer, anthrax, and megadeth

So go learn some exodus and testament. But yea your where you should be I've been playing longer than you and you can play more than I can and you can probably do it better.

The name "Big 4 of trash metal" was made up waaaaay before they started touring together last year, it wasnt marketing. So i´m going angry metalhead on you for believing that.. It was made up for the 4 biggest bands in that genre. just like the "big 4 of grunge" (Nirvana, Alice in chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam)
Learn your information before going angry metalheadish

But to a a certain degree I agree with you that it should be big 6 Testament and exodus deserves alot more cred
Quote by Pettah
The name "Big 4 of trash metal" was made up waaaaay before they started touring together last year, it wasnt marketing. So i´m going angry metalhead on you for believing that.. It was made up for the 4 biggest bands in that genre. just like the "big 4 of grunge" (Nirvana, Alice in chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam)
Learn your information before going angry metalheadish

But to a a certain degree I agree with you that it should be big 6 Testament and exodus deserves alot more cred

Umm maybe you should get some imformation they've been around since they 80's and they had a tour together in the 80's that's why it was a big deal for them to be touring together again and if you give me 5 minutes ill post the year of the tour
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I'd say be honest with yourself; 1.2 years is not a lot of time to learn the guitar, unless you've played 6 hours a day for that amount of time. Do your covers really sound accurate and true to the way the bands played them? I doubt it. You can always improve.

I used to try to play my favorite band(s) stuff note for note (a lot of the same bands you play), and after awhile I decided I need to have my own style, my own songs, etc. When I play "Raining Blood," or "Angel of Death" just as a couple examples, it doesn't sound like Slayer, it sounds like me, yet anyone listening knows exactly what songs I'm playing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's time to develop your own songs and your own sound, rather than worrying quite so much about perfecting other people's music.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Come on, i have been playing for 4 months and can play most rhythm parts, but when it comes to solos i can't play the easy solo's, just hammer on random notes. I can play the rhythm to Tornado of Souls yet not the solo to paranoid. Just try working on easy solos and work your way up. Running with the devil is the only solo i can play and it is just easy. Just practice a bit more.
I have been playing for a year and five months, and it sounds like you are doing fine. We have never heard your playing, so it's hard to say. I'm about the same level as you, and I'm plan on starting some shredding soon. I always ask myself what I should be able to play as well. But I realised it's about what you want to play, not what someone else says you should play.
Last edited by Kingdommetal at May 17, 2011,
Quote by anvil is god
Come on, i have been playing for 4 months and can play most rhythm parts, but when it comes to solos i can't play the easy solo's, just hammer on random notes. I can play the rhythm to Tornado of Souls yet not the solo to paranoid. Just try working on easy solos and work your way up. Running with the devil is the only solo i can play and it is just easy. Just practice a bit more.

The rhythm to ToS is easy as crap, try downpicking Creeping Death, it raelly makes my arm ache.
Quote by anvil is god

Y'see, this always happens with these threads...before too long everyone starts trying to outdo each other

TS you've got your answer, there is no "should", only what you know and what you don't know.

I'm locking this before the bulshitting and willy-waving gets out of hand...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc