I need a powerful PC for under £500.

My requirements are:
-Fast/powerful CPU able to handle large amounts of audio processing
-Good graphics as I will be video/photo editing
-At least 8GB of RAM
-At least 1TB of hard drive space

I want a PC as macs are so overpriced for the specs you get.

I have been reccommended THIS

I'm sure something far better can be found for the same price, or a little more?
If anyone has built a PC or had one assembled for them, or knows where the best place (UK) to get them is, please help me out!

Thanks!
What I would do Demon-guitarist is head over to Novatech and use their live chat to talk about this stuff.
They're helpful and have a good set of cheap parts.

The PC you listed looks good at first but the specs aren't great. You can have a gigabyte of video ram and it won't mean much.
You probably know this already, but 8gb is a waste if you're going to be using a 32 bit operating system. Using a 64 bit system may lose some programs you were able to run on a 32. I think 3gb is max for a 32bit.

PCs are also fun to build as long as you frequently touch a computer case to ground yourself.
Buy a dedicated audio card and a good speed motherboard as well. That'll reduce as much latency as possible.

Edit: Just go to www.Novatech.co.uk and use their live chat when they're available .
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at May 17, 2011,
build one yourself. It'sjust advanced lego mate. Simple stuff. I built a gaming PC three years ago that cost me £650 to build, but it would've cost me £1100 online and £1500 in shops. Think about it.
Don't forget to get a sound card if you're doing music related tasks.

You can cut down costs if you get 4 or 6 GB of ram, most people don't make full use of 4GB ram anyway.
Here's my recommendation.
Go to PC world and tell them to get you something nice
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
That PC is horrible, you should ask from a computer related forum for advice what to buy.
LOL at the guy who recommened you to go to PC World... Do not go there and ask... you will be paying almost double what you could get it for by building it yourself. If you're dead against building it yourself, talk to someone like DinoPC or Novatech.
Also ask yourself, "Am I going to have my computer in the same room I'm recording in?" If so, it's vital to have a quiet fan and power supply.

EDIT: typo fixed
Last edited by lextexrex at May 17, 2011,
Like it's been said before, 8Gb of RAM wont do anything without a 64bit Operating System. I think they cut off the RAM at something like 4Gb.

I reccomend you get a smaller backup drive as well, providing you are working on customers recordings.
I have also read about using two drives for recording. One with the DAW, Plugins and anything else related on it and the other drive would have the actual save files. I suppose it cuts down the amount of hard drive use.

If possible, look at getting a Quad Core processor.
And, as lextexrex said, make sure to get a quiet computer. Check out liquid cooling(Or something like that.).

Lastly, get a motherboard that can have multiple Firewire ports.

Hope this helps. I too am currently looking for a computer, but it has to be a laptop. Probably going for a Sony Vaio or an ASUS. I'm not doing any major recordingso I don't need as much power.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by lextexrex
Also ask yourself, "Am I going to have your computer in the same room I'm recording in?" If so, it's vital to have a quiet fan and power supply.

Or get liquid cooling..and you can over clock moar speed....but guessing on asking how to build a computer you prob couldn't do that. I made an excellent computer last year for recording for only $600 (I don't feel like converting), not including soundcard ,monitor, keyboard + mouse ,or OS.

You should really try to find a tech savy friend to help build your own and hit up the deals on newegg and tiger direct. I use a lot of RAM heavy vst and vstis and 6GB works fine for me, which I only upgraded from 4GB cause I ran out of RAM twice. (most of that stuff has a lot of synths and such).
I'm really sorry for double posting in this but I remembered something that would help OP immensely. Here
guitaristren,
You didn't really double post. A double post is a post by someone followed directly by a post from the same person.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Like it's been said before, 8Gb of RAM wont do anything without a 64bit Operating System. I think they cut off the RAM at something like 4Gb.

You get ~3.75gb, I know its under the full 4.So definitely go 64bit OS.

+1 for building it yourself. The first time is nerve-wracking but it's incredibly simple and by far the more cost effective route.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
don't buy the one you linked, dont go near ebay stores like that. That motherboard is trash for a start and they use other cheap components (the ram, psu is unbranded. also that case will be a cheap pile of junk).

i assume your in the uk so you'll wanna head over to Overclockers.co.uk or Scan.co.uk. as others mentioned, building a pc is like lego (although there are endless problems you COULd run into). but if you dont think your up to it, get a pre made base unit from OC/scan. your expectations are a little high for your budget as well
Quote by guitaristren
I'm really sorry for double posting in this but I remembered something that would help OP immensely. Here

That's a pretty /g/ood guide.
I used to build my own PCs because it used to be cheaper. But, the last couple of computers I have purchased (or helped people purchase), I priced out the parts to build something of similar specs, and it is no longer cheaper to build your own. Especially once you factor in the cost of Windows, which is almost invariably included in an off-the-shelf system. I find it actually measurably cheaper to buy off the shelf.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Case in point....

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10347037&whse=BCCA&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BCCA|84|22495&N=4011460%204294966517&Mo=1&pos=1&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC805-Cat84&topnav=

Acer system = $519.99

Build yourself:

Win 7 Home Premium = $99
AMD Athlon II X2 250 (65W) Dual-Core Socket AM3 processor = $68
DDR3 RAM (3GB) = $60
500 GB SATA drive = $40
Motherboard = $80
Keyboard and mouse = $20
DVD/RW = $25
20" LCD 1600x900 display = $100
Case = $40

Total = $533.

So, for an extra $15 in this case, you get to put it together yourself, screw around with drivers and such, and get no warranty except for what is otherwise offered on the parts.

That was just the first example I found. The very first. Why bother?

... and I haven't made sure that the "custom build" offers the exact same I/O features, sound, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.