Page 1 of 2
About the current drug prohibition and how it's not working etc..

Has anyone here ever done this? If so, how long did they take to reply?

This is the first time I've ever really tried to get my voice heard in this way, now I just hope they don't just ignore it, Democracy at it's finest

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Yeah you're not gonna get an e-mail back.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Anne McGuire's a boot, I've met her. She's not gonna do shit.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by robhc
You're gonna get ignored dude.

This.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Yeah, they get PAs to send out generic statements about certain popular subjects. Sometimes you get through or if you continue to message them I guess.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by jgbsmith

this plus a nice high number
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by jgbsmith

She's not my MP, I live just outside Stirling now and its Gordon Banks.

If I don't get a reply then I'll just keep emailing till he either does, or I go out and make sure loads of people know just how shit the government are at working for their people.

edit - or go down to his office and demand a response?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule

If I don't get a reply then I'll just keep emailing till he either does, or I go out and make sure loads of people know just how shit the government are at working for their people.

Fair enough, I don't know him but he still probably won't do much. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything - I completely agree with your point but I don't think anything's gonna come of this. Shame really.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Ya I e-mailed my TDs about it once, just for the laugh. I got no response from two of them and a response from one that was pretty generic bullshit about the need to be tough on crime.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I emailed mine suggesting there should be an investigation into Nick Clegg and the claim that he and other party members were planning to drop the tuition fee promise before they'd even made the pledges. I suggested it was fraud because he benefited from a false claim by virtue of the fact that he gained a parliamentary seat (and with that a salary).

I got an email back within the week saying it was unlikely to go anywhere due to the difficulty in ascertaining why people voted for him.

So either it was a common enough suggestion or my MP isn't all that shit.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've never actually emailed mine, but there was a thing floating around my facebook a few months ago, it was like a website where you could mass email all your local politicians or something. People were saying that the TD was obliged to write back, but I don't know how accurate that is...
Where do you guys buy your TDs? I want one.

ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by jimmy_neutron
I've never actually emailed mine, but there was a thing floating around my facebook a few months ago, it was like a website where you could mass email all your local politicians or something. People were saying that the TD was obliged to write back, but I don't know how accurate that is...

They're not obliged to, and generally won't to mass e-mails.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I didn't think so.. You don't remember the name of the site by any chance do you? Loads of people were sharing it on facebook a while back..
Quote by Ur all $h1t

If they ignore you, you should complain in writing to your local newspaper.

Ming is very good for communicating with the constituency. He replies to EVERYONE on facebook and sends you his mobile number in case you want to chat. He knows he has a job to do for the people. Some think they have been elected to do whatever they want.
You probably wont get a reply on the best of days. Given that you've raised an issue that's contrary to government's position; the chances of him replying are basically nil.

This is why representative democracy is a bad idea.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
I didn't think so.. You don't remember the name of the site by any chance do you? Loads of people were sharing it on facebook a while back..

Unfortunately not, I think I used it at the time. I remember sending a mass letter to my TDs at the beginning of the year for which I got back one reply from the FG TD that consisted of him sending me their entire education manifesto.

Quote by Icarus Lives
If they ignore you, you should complain in writing to your local newspaper.

Ming is very good for communicating with the constituency. He replies to EVERYONE on facebook and sends you his mobile number in case you want to chat. He knows he has a job to do for the people. Some think they have been elected to do whatever they want.

Your local paper will never print that, it's too much of a non issue and they love to have the local TDs on their side. Ireland is too parochial and concerned with favours.

I think Ming's been doing a great job so far, his performance on Frontline last week was superb too.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by EMGs_rule

edit - or go down to his office and demand a response?

The goal keeper?

Also my friend has emailed our MP a couple of times and has got replies.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Unfortunately not, I think I used it at the time. I remember sending a mass letter to my TDs at the beginning of the year for which I got back one reply from the FG TD that consisted of him sending me their entire education manifesto.

Your local paper will never print that, it's too much of a non issue and they love to have the local TDs on their side. Ireland is too parochial and concerned with favours.

I think Ming's been doing a great job so far, his performance on Frontline last week was superb too.

You could be right. We've got a not-for-profit free paper in this county which put one of the other 2 papers out of business. I have a feeling they'd print it.

We're just spoiled in Roscommon. Leading the revolution!!
I'd like to think I'd get a reply, if I don't then I will make as big a deal out of it as I can till I get it noticed.

This is a 'democracy' after all

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
A guy at the Oxfam I volunteer at sent a message to Gordon Brown a few years ago about how a local school for mentally and physically handicapped kids he donates and volunteer to for mentally and physically handicapped kids was struggling and wasn't getting enough funding. Not only did Gordon Brown reply to him with a promise for more funding, he actually followed though with. Sometimes writing can make a difference, however I doubt Cameron or Clegg would ever be boverd with somebody else's problems in this country.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
I sent a letter to my Rep. about stopping the sale of invasive species in my state. I doubt even his secretary will read it (in my case and yours), but you've got to try something.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
I sent a letter to my Rep. about stopping the sale of invasive species in my state. I doubt even his secretary will read it (in my case and yours), but you've got to try something.

To be fair, they do generally read them, or at least their assistants do and sum it up for them. They'll know that your concern about the issue was registered.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
To be fair, they do generally read them, or at least their assistants do and sum it up for them. They'll know that your concern about the issue was registered.

That's fair. At least I know I'm being proactively ignored.
I'm afraid that letters about drug prohibition are toilet-reading level comedy for gov't reps in the United States.
i don't know why i feel so dry
You may be surprised to find out, I did in fact get a reply even though he does disagree (whilst admitting he doesn't have any expertise in the area of drugs policy)

I'll provide a summary;

He acknowledges cannabis can be helpful to people with long term conditions.
Though he claims there is a link between cannabis and mental illnesses/cancer/chronic bronchitis.

He also claims that users of cannabis are a danger to themselves and others (e.g. cannabis is found in the system of 12% of individuals involved in fatal road accidents)

He claims that legalisation of cannabis will not affect the roughly £5 billion a year which goes towards organised crime, as in the Netherlands where around 70% of cannabis is still grown illegally.

He also claims that if cannabis was legalised then dealers would not find employment in the new market and would continue to sell hard drugs, which he believes the legalisation of cannabis would cause a rise in use of.

He also offered to send a copy of my letter to the secretary of state for health so that I can be provided with further information.

I know my grammar isn't the best but I'm typing fast

I will be replying with a list of counter arguments and will ask that all of my letters be passed on in the future.

edit - I did focus on cannabis in my letter as I believe it is a starting point in ending the war on drugs, I did however state that decriminalization of all drugs would be my ideal goal.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Last edited by EMGs_rule at May 22, 2011,
sorry for the double post but this is a bit of a bump too

I got another reply, shocking I know lol

Here's another summary:

The argument of a sensible adult being able to choose what they do with their own body doesn't work as legislators have to make decisions upon the entire population, some of which may not "pass a test to be classed as a sensible adult"

The argument of basic human rights can be extended to other issues and does not necessarily give it legitimacy.

In relation to alcohol and tobacco being legal he states "the failings of alcohol and tobacco do not make a strong argument for legalisation of other substances"

When i mentioned the gateway drug theory being nothing more than a theory and unproven, he mentions that he knows a number of cannabis users, many of these people use other drugs so he must trust his own instincts.

I mentioned health gains of regulation of drugs, he claims this only has buoyancy if legalisation/decriminalisation wouldn't expand usage.

I also asked him to forward my emails to the Secretary of State for Health and the Secretary of State for Justice and he said he'll get in touch when he gets replies.

Opinions?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
You may be surprised to find out, I did in fact get a reply even though he does disagree (whilst admitting he doesn't have any expertise in the area of drugs policy)

I'll provide a summary;

He acknowledges cannabis can be helpful to people with long term conditions.
Though he claims there is a link between cannabis and mental illnesses/cancer/chronic bronchitis.

There's also evidence to show that THC is anti-carcinogenic

The studies showing that cannabis links to mental disorders to not prove causality, as they have said themselves, they are simply correlations.

He claims that legalisation of cannabis will not affect the roughly £5 billion a year which goes towards organised crime, as in the Netherlands where around 70% of cannabis is still grown illegally.
Cannabis isn't legal in the Netherlands.
Also, that's a 30% reduction.

He also claims that if cannabis was legalised then dealers would not find employment in the new market and would continue to sell hard drugs, which he believes the legalisation of cannabis would cause a rise in use of.
Without the hook of cannabis they will have no market for harder drugs.
Evidence from the Netherlands shows that cannabis being readily available in coffee shops reduced the use of "harder" drugs.

He also offered to send a copy of my letter to the secretary of state for health so that I can be provided with further information.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
There's also evidence to show that THC is anti-carcinogenic

The studies showing that cannabis links to mental disorders to not prove causality, as they have said themselves, they are simply correlations.

Cannabis isn't legal in the Netherlands.
Also, that's a 30% reduction.

Without the hook of cannabis they will have no market for harder drugs.
Evidence from the Netherlands shows that cannabis being readily available in coffee shops reduced the use of "harder" drugs.

I said all of that when I replied, he basically disregarded it by saying "there is much we disagree on", ignoring the facts.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
I should send one asking why the 'repair' roads around here by ripping it all up and replacing it with badly laid tar and loose gravel. It's a bloody nightmare on a bike and straight up dangerous.
Quote by JackalUK
I should send one asking why the 'repair' roads around here by ripping it all up and replacing it with badly laid tar and loose gravel. It's a bloody nightmare on a bike and straight up dangerous.

Sounds like temp tar, which they're only supposed to use to patch up groundworks overnight.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I've written to the PM (years ago though, when it was Major) and I've emailed a few MPs. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a reply unless you're asking something really stupid.

Edit: oh I guess I should read the whole thread before I post. Nice one.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Sounds like temp tar, which they're only supposed to use to patch up groundworks overnight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

Found the term for what it is. They do it fairly poorly around here as it's always covered in loose bits of stone and just up the road there are massive bald patches in the road. If they repaired them properly in the first place they wouldn't have to bother repairing then for another 10 years.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I've heard of MPs, but what are TDs?

Toddlers of Destruction?

Teachta Dála, which is Irish for Deputy to the Dáil; Dáil Éireann is the Irish House of Representatives.

Essentially TD is the Irish equivalent of an MP.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 2