My DSL401 combo has overheated and died on me for the fourth time, so I'm taking this chance to look at what other amps are out there since I've never been entirely happy with this one as it is. I run into a Marshall 1936 cab 2x12" with Celestion G12T75s usince the 401's speaker sucked and I wanted to be pushing a little more air. I'd like to stick with that cab so I can put all my money into the head.

The kind of tone I'm after is a Vox AC30CC with the bright switch on for cleans and a Mesa Single Rectifier running with medium gain, a lot of mids and slightly rolled back treble for distortion. I don't have the two grand I'd need to buy those though, so here we are.
The cleans are probably more of a priority. Most "metal" amps I've tried have either very flat and uninspired cleans which was also the prolem with the 401, or they have very thin and harsh cleans. I want "lively" cleans, but not thin.

Budget: I'm comfortable with £500, can stretch to £650 if need be. Really can't do more though.

Genres: various kinds of hard rock and alternative (light) metal mostly, the odd bit of pop rock and occasionally "British invasion" style classic rrock and blues. Bit of everything really. No extremely clean jazzy/country stuff or extremely distorted djent/thrash/death metal though. I play rhythm exclusively and do use 7-strings a lot so whatever I get needs to have a tight low-end, nothing "flubby" or excessively booming.

New only, really. I've had some bad experiences buying second hand valve amps before and the second hand amp market in the UK isn't great, especially since I live right in the middle of butt**** nowhere in the midlands.

30w valve is kind of the minimum I need. It does need to keep up with a drummer though since I don't play lead I don't need to be that far ahead. Headroom for the cleans is most important really. 50w would be ideal. I'd certainly appreciate the ability to lower the wattage for practise use but that's far from vital.

Closest city which is going to have much stock is London really. Oxford's a little bit closer but not much. London is my main port of call for gear.

So far I've looked at perhaps just trying the DSL50 head, but I figure that won't be much of a step up. I've also been eyeing the Orange TH30 but I hear its clean channel breaks up very quickly, despite what the demos on youtube show.

Ideas?
traynor ycv50b on thomann? though apparently it's a pain to change valves on it.

if you're near oxford the oxford guitar gallery is awesome for gear, and occasionally they have amazing sales- might be worth considering, or waiting until they have their next sale, just in case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you looked into anything by Jet City? They don't exactly have sparkling cleans (by design), but the dirty cleans still sound damn good. With a boost/tubescreamer, the "crunch" channel (or the only channel, in the case of the JCA20s) does Metallica-level stuff just fine. The JCA50 and 100 have a second, overdrive channel that works very well for that straight out of the box. I would just demoing them, they work very well for a wide range of mid/low-gain stuff. They have a British-like voicing, but not nearly to the extent of something like a Night Train. It's worth trying, I would think.
You. Will. Never. Get. That. Kind. Of. Sound. Without. A/Bing. Two. Amps. Or. Using. A. Modeller.

My two cents- A/B a Bugera BC30 (AC30 clone) and a 333(XL) (sounds kind of recto ish to me thers a vid on the tube about it and a roadking I)
holy shit you'd better have the fire brigade on a direct line!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah well, hence why I said the cleans are the priority. I realise that the tones I'm after originate from two entirely different amps. So to get 'em in one, the clean takes priority and the distortion.... well, just as close as is realistically possible.

Have noted down the suggestions so far, will look into them but keep 'em coming lads and/or lasses (yeah right)

Somehow I've never heard of the Oxford guitar gallery until now. Will have to give them a visit, looks like they've got some nice stuff on their site.
^ i was only joking

^^ yeah the OGG (when i was there anyway) is epic, pretty much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How abouuut. You buy the Vox, and get yourself some pedals.
Okko Dominator / Ophenhaus would be an excellent choice, although there are more out there.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

^ the ac30's I've tried aren't fond of stompboxes.
+1 to GS, those amps are just voiced waaay too differently. Theoretically, it's possible to get those tones, but not in your budget.

...lonestar might get you close? if you're willing to give a little on both ends of the tones you're looking for, that is.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You. Will. Never. Get. That. Kind. Of. Sound. Without. A/Bing. Two. Amps. Or. Using. A. Modeller.

Untrue. He pretty much described my Abbey. Shame he'll never be able to find one. I've only ever seen two myself, the one that convinced me I should buy one and the one I bought.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Untrue. He pretty much described my Abbey. Shame he'll never be able to find one. I've only ever seen two myself, the one that convinced me I should buy one and the one I bought.

Your amp isnt exactly common you know.
How much did it set you back btw?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Your amp isnt exactly common you know.
How much did it set you back btw?

Real cheap. $200 or $250. I've had it for a long time, can't remember exactly. It wasn't new.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification