Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

I have an Ibanez RG120 and the body's wood is agathis.
I think it sounds great with Roland Cube.
The Infinite humbuckers are really good for stock pickups. I think they do great for rock and metal.

So why is there so much hate towards these features?

Lazy? tl;dr Why so much hate towards agathis and Infinite pickups?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I thought people got off the Agathis hate wagon years ago?

Its not the nicest wood but most people associate it with cheap BC Rich guitars ( I certainly do ) so I guess thats why, its just very bland sounding.

For stock the Infinity series arent awful they are a definite "Jack of all trades. Master of none" pickup.

I dont mean to be rude but people love the RG series as a whole, they are one of the most enduring superstrat series out there, however the lower end ones arent much better than any other low end guitar. Its the models such as yours that get the hate, unwarranted but you dont see things like the 3120s getting slated.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I sort of made my RG120 less hate-able for me.
I just blocked the cr*ppy FAT10 tremolo

I actually think the FAT10 is the only disappointment I find with this guitar.
Can't stay in tune to save it's chrome.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I agree with Tom.

Agathis is a bit thin sounding wood and the pickups are nice beginner guitar-stock pickups.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Woffelz
I sort of made my RG120 less hate-able for me.
I just blocked the cr*ppy FAT10 tremolo

I actually think the FAT10 is the only disappointment I find with this guitar.
Can't stay in tune to save it's chrome.

Best thing you can do with those trems, otherwise its a great little guitar.

Wait till you get one the big boy RGs though, you will jizz your pants. It hurts my heart I cant play them anymore

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
pretty much what tom's saying. Plus a lot of the cheaper ones have terrible tremolos. And a lot of them (even higher-end ones) use basswood, which a lot of people don't like.

I'm not a gigantic fan of basswood, but i'm not exactly a hater either. For the type of music that rgs are aimed at basswood (good basswood, anyway) is a pretty sensible choice. hating rgs for being made of basswood is kinda like hating rectos for being high gain... not terribly sensible or logical, as that's kinda the point of the thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HOMINAHOMINAHOMINA

anyway, yea the trem is useless. shove rocks in it. once you play other guitars you realize the pups are bad, but again so are all beginner pups. I loved the neck on mine and it played well. blocked trem and a new nut would do well.
Honk
Had an accident a few months back, hand healed up but the way the Wizards put strain on my wrist means after a while it hurts to much to be worth it.

So its Thin Us from here on out.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Had an accident a few months back, hand healed up but the way the Wizards put strain on my wrist means after a while it hurts to much to be worth it.

So its Thin Us from here on out.

Maybe it'll take some time for your wrist to be able to get used to them again.
Heres hoping, though my favourite ibby profile is the more traditional Ultra neck... Its much narrower and slightly rounder making it far far more comfortable, sadly its only really found on these beasties...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i think the rg's should be basswood since they are great basswood guitars...

i usually go to another company if i'm looking for mahogony superstrat.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Tom 1.0
Heres hoping, though my favourite ibby profile is the more traditional Ultra neck... Its much narrower and slightly rounder making it far far more comfortable, sadly its only really found on these beasties...

(Invalid img)

That RG2120X I posted has an Ultra Prestige neck. And the Ultra is almost identical to the JPM neck, which is only .5mm thinner at the 12th fret.

Yeah,

Hence why the 31/2120 would be the only not JC Ibby I will ever consider buying in the future.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
part of the problem too is that in the us used rg550,560s, and some newer prestiges are so cheap that a new lower tier rg seems like a shame.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Its the same most places. Definitely true in europe. Can pick up a used mij 550/560/570 for the same price if not usually less then a new crappy rg350 anyday
Rg370dx ere.
I dont mind it. Really nice neck profile. Really crappy peice of mahogany.
Bridge can be a bit touchy at times. Crap stock pups. Horrendous setup by ibby.
But now with new pups its a beast.
Beats the hell outta my old washburn SS.
I just can't get over how lifeless most Ibanez necks are. I just don't feel the soul in them.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
try and find a real top end one that doesnt have a wizard neck

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
touche...

I had to import mine from Japan

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
In my life I've owned 5 Strats and 3 Telecasters. I'm a rather niche market.

One day I'll find myself in the UK, mosey to your house and ask to play your Prestige RG. Then... maybe... I'll admit you're right.

...maybe.
I used to own two RG Prestiges three years ago but I sold them to get my Randall.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by JustRooster
I just can't get over how lifeless most Ibanez necks are. I just don't feel the soul in them.

Just plug them into a bugera. SOUL OF VALVES.
Quote by JustRooster
In my life I've owned 5 Strats and 3 Telecasters. I'm a rather niche market.

One day I'll find myself in the UK, mosey to your house and ask to play your Prestige RG. Then... maybe... I'll admit you're right.

...maybe.

You would have to go to Munich mate, I sold it to a guy in Germany. That guitar has some serious air miles on it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

You would have to go to Munich mate, I sold it to a guy in Germany. That guitar has some serious air miles on it.

I bought my CIJ Strat from a guy in South Africa. I know how it is, haha.
Quote by Tom 1.0

if they still have it, the shop in dublin i got my 3270 from had an NOS rgt 3170 (also on sale, though not as good a price as mine was)... i think it has an ultra neck too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I cant afford it right now

But if the time comes and I can I shall let you know....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
no worries.

I mean it's, what, a 2003 model? so it's been there a while

I think it was ~£1100, depending on the exchange rate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

I paid less for my JC

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah... i mean it's a pretty decent price for a NOS one. If you're looking at s/h ones then, yeah, you could probably get a better price.

though it is a neck-thru, and I think they were dearer than the JCs anyway. (personally i agree with you, i'd rather have a bolt-on jc than neck-thru prestige)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think a lot of the "hate" towards everything on UG or on any other forums is people complaining about everyone using gear that they personally don't like because they don't know the difference between a guitar that they don't like and a shitty guitar. if it feels shitty to you it must just be a shitty guitar, right?

i don't like ibanez RGs, but i don't hate them either. they just aren't meant for me, because i just don't like the way they sound, the neck profile, the features and specifications etc.. but that's just my preference. ibanez do have some models that really do appeal to me, but the RG series has nothing i'm aware of that will ever be a good choice of guitar for me personally.

in a nutshell - it's subjective. haters gonna hate, but nobody really cares
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i think a lot of the "hate" towards everything on UG or on any other forums is people complaining about everyone using gear that they personally don't like because they don't know the difference between a guitar that they don't like and a shitty guitar. if it feels shitty to you it must just be a shitty guitar, right?

yeah, that's what i really hate.

I mean I'm sure I'm not completely blameless either, but I can definitely tell if I like a guitar because it suits me, or if i like it because it's clearly a quality instrument, even if it doesn't necessarily suit me. And vice-versa.

It's certainly not just, "oh i don't like that, it sucks!"...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Teenagers eventually grow out of calling every guitar they dont get on with rubbish...

At least some do!
yeah i'm not convinced it's anything to do with age.

if anything the bc rich haters tend to be older, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
True some people just have trouble telling the difference between a badly built shitty guitar and a guitar they dont get on with
Page 1 of 2