Hi guys,

maybe you remember my post a few weeks back, where I asked what was next for me to learn? Well, I took action and started from scratch with JustinGuitar.com (I know all major and minor chords, I just didn't practice chord changes enough ) and so far I've reached stage 3.

So far, so good, however ...

There is this exercise in stage 3 that I just can't do:

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php

I've really tried it and even tried it starting on the 8th fret, but I just can't do it. Everything is fine on the first 3 strings, but then my ringfinger and pinky can't reach far enough anymore and I need to put my wrist in a weird angle to be able to play the notes (while still creating buzz on the higher strings...)

Then I found this exercise, which I thought might be a good alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR3h2f_2fk&feature=related

I can do this pretty well (I can reach all the way to the low e with every set of fingers). But I was wondering if it is necessary to try and do this exercise without muting any of the other strings? Will that come eventually or should I start practicing it from the start?

Any advice is welcome
Start with Andy's exercises and then move on to Justin's. Soon enough, you will be able to do them without any trouble.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Start with Andy's exercises and then move on to Justin's. Soon enough, you will be able to do them without any trouble.

Thanks for the fast reply

Should I worry about not muting the other strings yet? (which is only a problem with the ringfinger and the pinky)
Absolutely. Good muting technique is essential to any guitarist.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.