Do anyone know a guitar thats suitable for progressive rock in the style of Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation and Porcupine Tree? My budget is between 400-800 american dollars.

Did i mention that i hate floyds?
THIS IS FOR COWS!
sigh, coz you like soulfly I'll help you out.

Firstly a "guitar" is a guitar and they aren't made for specific genres. What you be wantings is your own sound (wood, neck and pups) if its progressive it kinda defeats the purpose to buy a 'specific' guitar don't it?

Tbh get the most versatile guitar you can. For example my Schecter (see sig) has an EMG 81TW and 85 combo which means its coil tapped for single coil and humbucker sounds. It has a non-floyd version but for progressive surely floyds are a plus?

Anyway its about $850 and a great guitar. Really you should be thinking about amps and effects more than guitars.

P.S. Maple necks are awesome.

P.S.S. PRS guitars if u can affords...which it dont seem like u canz. oh wells.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Last edited by s-o-u-l-f-l-y at May 17, 2011,
I second the motion for a Schecter. I love those guitars, and they have great price points. Aside from that, yeah a PRS or possibly something like a Gibson Les Paul studio would work really well if you switch out the pickups and it fits your budget (barely).
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Amakir
Do anyone know a guitar thats suitable for progressive rock in the style of Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation and Porcupine Tree? My budget is between 400-800 american dollars.

Wait and get Devin's signiture PXD vicious?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Pink Floyd traditionally used Telecasters, so I belive.
Pink Floyd. Trolololol :P
But, as has been said, also look at Gibson Les pauls, or PRS. Steve Wilson uses Les Pauls, and I think Opeth's guitarist favours PRS
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y

Tbh get the most versatile guitar you can. For example my Schecter (see sig) has an EMG 81TW and 85 combo which means its coil tapped for single coil and humbucker sounds. It has a non-floyd version but for progressive surely floyds are a plus?

Anyway its about $850 and a great guitar. Really you should be thinking about amps and effects more than guitars.

I change tuning a lot, form drop tunings to ope .tunings and so forth. It's annpying as **** to change tuning on a floyd and since i am barley using tremolos anyway it's not wort it.

And yes, i am getting a new amp before i get a new guitar.

Quote by pigeonmafia
Wait and get Devin's signiture PXD vicious?

It's quite pricey and i guess it's a better metal guitar than a guitar for the more mellow style of progressive rock (like the Accelerated Evolution album) that i am playing. Still if the strat he used to record Ki and Addicted is released i would buy it right away.

Quote by HeretiK538
But, as has been said, also look at Gibson Les pauls, or PRS. Steve Wilson uses Les Pauls, and I think Opeth's guitarist favours PRS

Yup Åkerfeldt plays PRS, he even got a signature model.

http://www.prsguitars.com/semikaelakerfeldt/index.php

I would probably buy it if it weren't for that giant Opeth-logo on the body.
THIS IS FOR COWS!
Quote by Amakir

What is your current gear like?

Quote by HeretiK538

Both Steven and Mikael/Fredrik use PRS guitars.
I like the Opeth logo...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
David Gilmour plays more Strats than Teles.

Prog rockers use all kinds of brands- Fenders, PRS, Fernandes, Gibsons, Ibanezes, etc.- so seconding the suggestion that you figure out what features you're looking for then find the brand that gets you what you want in or close to your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Terrible-Lie
What is your current gear like?

A cheaper ESP LTD and a terrible practiceamp that is going to be replaced very soon, oh and a Marshall Jackhammer distortion pedal.

Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
I like the Opeth logo...

Me too but i don't want to have e big Opeth-logo on MY guitar, it kinda ruins the whole "it's my personal guitar" thing if you know what i mean.
THIS IS FOR COWS!
Step 1: Go to Guitar Center/ Mom and Pop store
Step 2: Pick up a guitar and play it. If you like the guitar, see step 4. If you do not like it, try step 3.
Step 3: Pick up a different guitar and play it.
Step 4: Buy the guitar.

How are WE supposed to know what guitar is right for YOU?
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by Amakir
A cheaper ESP LTD and a terrible practiceamp that is going to be replaced very soon, oh and a Marshall Jackhammer distortion pedal.

The LTD may not be terribly bad choice presuming it has humbuckers (depending on body wood) I would suggest replacing the amp before the guitar as it would have a much greater effect on the sound.
Look at CL and Ebay and see if you can find used PRS CE22/24 you can score them for a really good deal with the downed economy I've seen 'em for $700 in the last 6 months. The LTD M-1000 or EC-1000 would work well also and you can find them in your $$ range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree plays singlecut PRS, not a Gibson, I believe. I've noticed a lot of prog bands use PRS, if you find one in your range I'd go for it, even an SE would be nice. Also, you might be able to find a Les Paul Studio used.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Robert Fripp uses Parkers & Ovations.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tom 1.0
Parker P44.

That one is a really good guitar, too bad it's discontinued though. I might buy one if i find one used near my area.
THIS IS FOR COWS!
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Step 1: Go to Guitar Center/ Mom and Pop store
Step 2: Pick up a guitar and play it. If you like the guitar, see step 4. If you do not like it, try step 3.
Step 3: Pick up a different guitar and play it.
Step 4: Buy the guitar.

How are WE supposed to know what guitar is right for YOU?

Setp 5: ?????
Step 6: Profit
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I posted that without checking my sources, looks like you guys are right - Wilson lends himself to PRS guitars. However, when he plays with Blackfield, he always seems to use a Les Paul. I call this even at best :P
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
I posted that without checking my sources, looks like you guys are right - Wilson lends himself to PRS guitars. However, when he plays with Blackfield, he always seems to use a Les Paul. I call this even at best :P

Nope, it's a PRS singlecut.
THIS IS FOR COWS!