Did you ever do that thing in high school before exams when you try to study for your big exams, potentially future deciding ones... But you just dunno how the hell to do it.

Well, for almost 3 years ive played guitar, and learned some of my favourite songs, but now ive identified ive hit a wall. I cant seem to go faster and im starting to get drained unfortunately, so ive decided to step back and go back to a real "learn guitar" mode as opposed to "Play Rock N F'ing Roll". But i dived in too quick i think, and i dunno what the hell to do. I'm using justinguitar.com, but its a library of lessons and i cant decide where to start really. Its like being surrounded by text books - you dont just crack one open and hope for the best, theres a system to it... I've just never truly tried to learn the guitar per se, just play it, and i could do with some advice. I know this all sounds vague, im just typing as it comes to my mind.

Thanks
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
pick an album you love and learn it by ear. It'll take you forever but it's worth it. Learning one lick from a song by ear is a thousand times better than learning an entire album by tab. It's the best thing I ever did when I hit a wall. NowI never seem to be lost for things to learn.
Quote by PanamaJack666
pick an album you love and learn it by ear. It'll take you forever but it's worth it. Learning one lick from a song by ear is a thousand times better than learning an entire album by tab. It's the best thing I ever did when I hit a wall. NowI never seem to be lost for things to learn.

i think he means more like theory, not just learning how play more songs.
Well, yeah i mean theory... But i mean more generally as well. Like, there is a set path for guitar learning usually, that ive heard (learn to hold it, learn chords, learn Amin pent...) etc etc. I skipped most of that, and used tabs... I bascally wanna know how to start all over again. It may be hard to explain, but ive hit a wall, and am stuck in terms of advancing my playing... i just wanna move on.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Learning songs by ear will prove invaluable. When you start, it sucks. But when you get the hang of it, it starts getting easier and easier. The reason I think this is so important is, you get to a point where you hear a song and already can see how to play it. It opens up a different world musically. It makes writing that riff you hear in your head so much easier and makes improvising so much fun live. You are able to get in the moment and hear in your head what you want to play and your hands just seem to do it.

Theory is great, don't get me wrong, and you can work on that too, but I would highly suggest learning songs by ear too. You don't have to work on just one thing at a time. Just take baby steps and do it little by little cause it can all get overwhelming if you try to dive straight into theory.

Not sure if Ive answered your question at all, but I honestly believe this is something you should consider first.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent