Hey
I'm getting a little bass rig together for some home recording, and I need ideas on what amp to get. I've looked at amps online, but they're all pretty much just pictures to me.
I wanna spend about £600-800 altogether, for a combo or head+cab. Style-wise, i don't really go for the heavy stuff. I like a more warm, hummy tone than a twang. It doesn't need to be able to get to loud volumes, in fact, I'd prefer if the best tone from the amp came from a quieter volume. DI is also a factor I'd prefer.

Thanks
If it's purely for recording purposes and no gigging/practices, then I'd suggest just buying a REALLY nice pre amp/D.I. unit.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
If it's purely for recording purposes and no gigging/practices, then I'd suggest just buying a REALLY nice pre amp/D.I. unit.

I kinda want an amp, cos I like blending the speaker signal with the line level
Unless there is some tone you're specifically going for you're probably better off just getting a good DI unit.
Sansamp Bass Driver's are your friend.
I own a GK Rig and for recording i dont even bother with plugging it in and using it.
If you defiantly want an amp, I would advise buying a small tube amp, or a high end, good quality solid state, but you really could do with an xlr DI. That way you get a balanced output designed to go straight to a desk. If you buy a good small amp you'll get better quality then buying a cheap big amp. Then if you ever wanted to play live you have the xlr DI so you can hook up to the PA and not need to buy a new amp. Aim for about a 60 - 100w, should give you enough head room to record at home.
i would agree with the people that suggested a DI box. i have a sansamp bddi, and it is great for recording, i don't even use my rig to make home recordings anymore.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
The DI box would be the way to go though, theres some good ones like the sansamp bass driver or a tube DI with a decent preamp.
Quote by JKing138
If you defiantly want an amp, I would advise buying a small tube amp, or a high end, good quality solid state, but you really could do with an xlr DI. That way you get a balanced output designed to go straight to a desk. If you buy a good small amp you'll get better quality then buying a cheap big amp. Then if you ever wanted to play live you have the xlr DI so you can hook up to the PA and not need to buy a new amp. Aim for about a 60 - 100w, should give you enough head room to record at home.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for

Any suggestions of brands and models?
Orange make some nice amps, really punchy sounding. My Laney is very flexible, they're clean sounding but adds character so they're not transparent like a Hartke or GK, but some people do like the transparency. The best thing would be to go down to your local music store and try some out, theres no other way to see what an amp is like.

I'm guessing your a guitarist by trade and just wanting to make your own backing tracks, so talk to the bass guy at the music store. Have an idea of the tone you want and how to get it. If you want a warm, thumpy tone like Jon Gallant from billy talent, for example, find out what he uses. Which is a musicman an Ampeg SVT and plays finger style, all three are very important in getting the sound you want.

But from your description try some ashdowns, orange and ampeg, they're generally known for having a warmer tone. Look for a 60 - 100w, because you need some head room as a small amp cranked up may not sound as thick and rich as a medium amp at half volume, unless its a nice tube amp. Low frequencies need more power to be amplified, thats why bass amps are far more powerful the guitar amps, so more power usually means more lows (as a general rule, although there are other factors). Combos are cheaper and smaller in size (usually) and the 12" or 15" speaker will be plenty for home recording, a 4x12 cab would be a little excessive.
Sounds like an SWR WorkingPro 2x10C combo would fit the bill nicely.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thing is, nobody really makes low powered tube bass amps. Most small combos by the big guys like Orange, GK, Ampeg, etc are just inferior budget models to appeal the entry level market. I guess if you're dead set on it though, I'd recommend an Ampeg B25B or B15. Maybe a Valve Junior if you're up for modding.

Seriously though, you're better off just getting a good DI like a ToneHammer or BDDI.
I record with just my SansAmp BDDI. There so many tonal options combined with your bass that are possible. If you're getting a whole rig, might as well get one that you can record and gig with.