I know I did say I wouldn't be posting here again but I've been bouncing around the house about this all day. Cheap thrills and all that. Can't hurt to share.

So due my spending all my money, the big tasty Mayones 7-string I'd had on order had to be cancelled. Plus, having not had a 7 before, I did decide in the end that spending two and a half grand on one was a bit of a leap. So, the search began for a cheap 7-string to cut my teeth on.

It pisses me off how much more expensive 7-strings are than their 6-string counterparts. Once you limit yourself to no more than £500, you're stuck for choice.

Then I spotted this on eBay. A Washburn WG-587. I only knew of Washburn as one of those random, more-than-a-copy-brand-but-still-small companies that I had no interest in dealing with. The only point of reference i had for them was that the guitarist from Nightwish used to use one of the Korean models a decade ago.

Did some searching, turns out the WG-587 started off as a mid-range Korean model at around the £600 mark, similar to the older LTD 400/401 range. First it came with a Floyd and a middle pickup but then it was stripped back to a hardtail and just two pickups for a brief time before becoming just another Chinese model and right before the end of its run it was a plywood Indonesian model. These Chinese and Indonesian wastes of firewood got sold off in America en masse at about $200 a pop and were not considered to be any good. Washburn stopped making them sometime around early 2008.

But this store somewhere up in Scotland (I think) still had one it was selling off on eBay for £180. They said it was effectively brand new, just a guitar they had had in stock for a few years, hadn't been able to shift and just wanted gone. Considering that any other 7-string is about £250 second hand, I figured why the hell not. The cheapest 7 on the market, it's probably crap but so long as it has a 7th string I can get an idea of what a 7 feels like. And I like tune-o-matic and stopbar combinations more than flatmounts or Floyds. Let's go for it.

This morning there was a knock on my door and here it was (oddly, in a Fender box).

Nice and shiny. The finish is apparently called gunmetal grey - it's alright but not great, but it's not black so I'm happy.

The shop wasn't lying when they said it was in mint condition, other than than the fretboard being a little dried out it came in immaculate condition.

Perhaps too immaculate. I say, those fret ends are rather well rounded. This finish, this neck join... all very nicely done. Hardware seems very sturdy indeed. Nut is very well cut, better than I've seen on any other sub-£200 budget guitar.

Hmm, all seems nicer than I was expecting so far, let's see what the tuners are like...

Wait, what's that?

Is that.. is that a.. K...?

The tuners are Grover-stamped 18-1s, the bridge is Gotoh. Buzz Feiten tuning system as you can see. I've opened up the back and even had a look under the pickups - full size pots, orange drop capacitor, G&K pickups which are an alright Korean brand that make the pickups that go into PRS SE guitars. I checked out the serial number - made in late 2001. Seems it's one of the short run that was done just after they changed the hardware but before they moved production to China.

How it went unsold since 2001, I don't know. This thing's incredible. No fret buzz, anywhere. The stock pickups sound surprisingly good, the neck pickup certainly has an alnico character to it (whether it is or not, I can't be sure) and the bridge pickup keeps the B string clear which is the most important thing with a 7-string pickup. They'll more than do for now. The neck pocket is as tight as can be, there's great sustain on open strings and fretted strings aren't too shabby either. Fretwork itself is damn near perfect, nothing uneven or rough.

The intonation is a little bit off on the low E and B and the action has been set a tiny bit lower than I like, but those are nothing to complain about and are the easiest things in the world to put right.

I've got a Japanese-made/USA assembled Kramer (about £600), a Korean LTD Deluxe H-1001 (worth about £700), a MIK Epiphone (£650 at the time) and three very tasty Warmoth builds which all use American-made parts (total parts value of those three being about £2400).

This Washburn, that I paid a grand total of £190 for including the postage, is bang-on just as good as any of them. And I'm not "just saying that". It actually is. Hell it was probably made in the same factory as the LTD and the Epi, stands to reason.

I know UG throws a hissy fit about odd NGD posts here so quick slap-dash spec/review:

Body is probably one of the many species of Asian mahogany. It is heavy and sustains well, good enough for me.
Neck is maple with a very tightly-grained rosewood fretboard.
Gotoh tune-o and stopbar bridge
Grover 18-1 tuners
Buzz Feiten magic nut tuning thingy, doesn't work as well as the Earvana system does but it's better than a regular nut.
Decent quality electronics, I'd want to change the pickups for something a little higher quality if I was going to record an album or tour the world with it but they're more than fine for my purposes.
Utterly flawless fitting, construction and finishing.

7.5/10, 9/10 when you consider I paid Epiphone LP-100 prices for it.

And yup, I'm still rockin' the Line 6

It should come as no surprise to long-time users of this board that I've spent the entire day royally pissing off my neighbours, playing Lacuna Coil songs far too loudly and seeing just how low the 7th string can be tuned. I was rocking out some Drop F# riffage earlier. Br00tal.

And as an aside, a couple of months ago I finished another Warmoth, utterly hideous but I adore it.

Alder carved top Tele body, raw purpleheart neck with ebony fretboard, DiMarzio PAF Pro and Evo 2 pickups. Been doing lots of Prince covers with that one. 95% of people vomit upon seeing it, 5% fall utterly in love. She certainly sounds and plays mighty fine, regardless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
washburn and martin are the two oldest guitar companies on the planet.

any chance of a bon jovi clip?

HNGD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was going to buy that MrFlibble!

Well done, it's good to see you back and HNGD!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by gregs1020
washburn and martin are the two oldest guitar companies on the planet.

any chance of a bon jovi clip?

HNGD!
Huh, I had no idea.

And sorry, no. Still yet to get a mic or video camera sorted out and I'm frankly too lazy to work out how to plug the amp into me laptop. One day, one day.

Quote by Fisheth24
I was going to buy that MrFlibble!
The very, very religious family next door hate you for not jumping on it first
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I expected this to be your Mayones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sadly common sense kicked in and the Mayones order turned into rent and food.

Actually I've still got the order placed with them, it's just on hold for eight months while I make up my mind. If I don't pay in full by then it'll be finished minus my personal touches and sold as any other guitar. I don't see myself being in a position to pay for it all within the next eight months so I'm probably going to have to leave it and re-order in a year or so.

Actually the ****ers that ran off with my money from selling my Gibson should be finally coughing up within the next month so who knows.
You mean the reputable store that sold it for you

Why didnt you sell it privately?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
nice

i don't know anything about 7s but the korean 6-string washburn pros i've tried were great

i like the warmoth tele too

EDIT: just out of interest is that MIJ/assembled in USA kramer the musicyo sambora one? I remember i tried one and it said "assembled in the USA" which sorta rang my warning bells, but if it was made in japan... that's pretty good. The one i tried was like £575 at the time, which is pretty good for something with a schaller OFR etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
You mean the reputable store that sold it for you

Why didnt you sell it privately?
Yeah. Conveniently their London store was operated as a separate company from the Bath store so as long as they stay out of Bath there's nowt anyone can do to get 'em. Bastards.

Ironically, I thought that getting a shop to sell it would be quicker and less hassle.

Quote by Dave_Mc

EDIT: just out of interest is that MIJ/assembled in USA kramer the musicyo sambora one? I remember i tried one and it said "assembled in the USA" which sorta rang my warning bells, but if it was made in japan... that's pretty good. The one i tried was like £575 at the time, which is pretty good for something with a schaller OFR etc.
Yeah, the Jersey Star/Sambora reissue. Mine's rather abused but mechanically it's still great, thing's built like a tank. All the hardware is Schaller, lots of nice touches like the bridge posts being counter sunk and anchored into the body, the body seems to be a 2-piece, etc. Really good stuff. If they had put Duncan or DiMarzio pickups in it I'm sure they would have labelled it as being entirely American and would have charged considerably more for it. I don't know why Gibson doesn't bring back Kramer properly like that, they did the Jersey Star well and a Beretta reissue but most of the Kramer brand is MIC generic trash.
-Completely ignores OP-

HI MR.FLIBBLE!

Nice to see you back.

-Goes to read OP-

EDIT: Looks nice, HNGD. I think it looks awesome and sounds like it plays very well.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at May 17, 2011,
Quote by MrFlibble
Yeah. Conveniently their London store was operated as a separate company from the Bath store so as long as they stay out of Bath there's nowt anyone can do to get 'em. Bastards.

Ironically, I thought that getting a shop to sell it would be quicker and less hassle.

Yeah, the Jersey Star/Sambora reissue. Mine's rather abused but mechanically it's still great, thing's built like a tank. All the hardware is Schaller, lots of nice touches like the bridge posts being counter sunk and anchored into the body, the body seems to be a 2-piece, etc. Really good stuff. If they had put Duncan or DiMarzio pickups in it I'm sure they would have labelled it as being entirely American and would have charged considerably more for it. I don't know why Gibson doesn't bring back Kramer properly like that, they did the Jersey Star well and a Beretta reissue but most of the Kramer brand is MIC generic trash.

Hardly, if you made an agreement for them to sell it on your behalf, legally they should pay youm whether it was the bath or london store.

You must have a bit of paper or signed agreement between yourself and the store?

Too expensive and to compete with the new charvel lines wouldnt be worth the hassle.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The new kramer stagemaster looks nice for what its worth.

import neck thru superstrat with some alright parts.

Decent.
Though both stores were set up by the same guy they're apparently registered as two different businesses. **** knows how that works or how they got away with it, but that does seem to be the case. The shop here was run by a second guy. The first, main guy only turned up once in a while to check things over and transport stock and it seems that they made sure everything done over here was in twat #2's name. When I signed my guitar over, it was signed by twat #2.

Twat #2 disappeared. He just up and left. In addition, twat #1 is claiming that twat #2 used a different filing system and that none of their records were centralised in any way, i.e. there are no copies of anything from the shop here and the small amount of paperwork they do have is of no use to them, they don't know how to do anything with it.

So the piece of paper I have is worth just that, it is just a piece of pape that says some meaningless words with reference numbers that lead nowhere, signed by me and a man who's missing and officially not employed by the guys that are still around. They also declared the Bath branch bankrupt so there's no recouping losses there.

tl;dr (ironic for me): if they open another store here in Bath and operate it under the same name, I (and everyone else who had gear with them) can get my money back. They have said they intend to open another shop here within the next few months but the location they gave is still up for sale, so who knows. If they don't open another shop and just stay where they are, nobody can do anything. Legally, they're a whole different shop.

edit: and yes, it really is ****ing bollocks.
Sue him as an individual through the small claims court.

Quote by coolstoryangus

Decent.

Pffft the only imported neck thrus worth looking at are the discontinued rgts.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 17, 2011,
Wait, you're back? When did this happen?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by coolstoryangus

Decent.
We don't actually know for sure yet if the new one will be neck-through. The old one was but most import designs like that with solid finishes tend to be set necks with carved heels. See LTD, Schecter.

I'm interested in giving it a try but I'm not holding my breath.
Don't see why it wouldn't be.
Regardless the last thing my guitar arsenal needs is any more superstrats.

Wanna get some more traditional things added xD
Quote by Mukersman
can explain the buzz feiten tuning thing?

The nut is moved closer to the first fret, and then each string is tuned to a specific offset, to give better intonation across the fretboard.
I own one myself! I love the thing, only mine came with some minor neck problems that I'm still fighting with a bit to this day

Welcome to the land of 7 strings

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by MrFlibble

yeah, i have one of the older MIK Musicyo ones, and I don't much like it. I mean it's not terrible or anything, it's acceptable for the price i paid, but that's about it.

Yeah, they really should bring back good quality reissues at the kind of prices the jersey star and the others were going for- around £600 with a schaller floyd and hardware, they'd clean up.

I think i like the baretta best, at the time i liked the 1984 best (that's just looks, i wasn't able to try either )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?