I play a Schecter Omen 6 FR, and play mainly Children Of Bodom style stuff. I am on the lookout for a new amp, as I want to get something a bit better and more professional than my current Roland Micro-Cube. I have a budget of roughly $325, and want something with the usual Bass, Middle and Treble, volume, gain, reverb etc. controls. Any suggestions?
TheRipperA7X
Yeah, save up some more.

Alexi I believe uses a Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 tube preamp into a VHT 2:50. The Lee Jackson can be found for 400 bucks I think, but that VHT will cost you.
WTLTL 2011
Lol Alexi Laiho

Regardless of my Elitism, on that budget, I would either save up, or get a Roland Cube xl series or something.
a peavey 6505 will prolly be the best bet for a reasonable combo amp for u. personally, i found myself a less expensive tube amp with really nice cleans and put an mxr fullbore in front of it to get my tone and i play mostly metal core. nonetheless, go tube no matte what, that is where u'll get a really great tone from. the blackstar amps are a bit more expensive but definately worth the money, for ur tone, i wouldnt reccomend the ht-5 so you would have to save up big money for the series 100 heads. kirk hammet plays a randall and i believe he has a signature model with them as well.

those are probably the ones that are closest to your budget.
Are you going to play gigs TS?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Just so you know this is a practise/small gig amp. So I don't want a seperate head and cab. Also, i want a solid-state amp, as valve/tube amps add to the price and the valves/tubes will need replacing every so often, which would drain pocket money
TheRipperA7X
Last edited by TheRipperA7X at May 17, 2011,
if you like modeling amps a Vypyr can probably suit you
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you like modeling amps a Vypyr can probably suit you

The Vypyr 15 is perfectly in my budget but I dont know too much about it, other than what's on the peavey website. Please, tell me more
TheRipperA7X
Quote by TheRipperA7X
The Vypyr 15 is perfectly in my budget but I dont know too much about it, other than what's on the peavey website. Please, tell me more

What do you want to know? Its a good amp for the money.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by TheRipperA7X

Why get the 15 when you can afford the Vypyr 75? Much better sounding and many more features, and is compatible with a really good foot controller.

It's pretty much the best digital modeler you can get for the price. Far better than Line 6's Spider series, which is equal in price to the Vypyr series. Roland Cubes are also pretty good, but I think the Vypyr would be a better option seeing that you already own a Micro Cube.

It's best that you play it in person and see what you think about it.
check this out, this is my EXACT set up and i play pretty much only metalcore (all that remains, bullet for my valentine, killswithc... some c.o.b.)

VHT special 6 ultra 1x12 combo
mxr fullbore metal
crybaby 535 q (wah)
schecter c1 hellraiser with emg 81tw, 89

for just the tone, your looking at no more than $450 (amp $340, mxr fullbore $100). this is able to give me exactly the tone i was looking for. the mxr fullbore has alot of eq possiilities as well as a built in noise gate. the noise gate will really help u get some of alexi's heavy chug tone. if i remember correctly, the omen series has emg hz h4 pups which are basically the same thing alexi uses. this is a 6 watt, all tube amp that is MORE than loud enough to gig with. i was playing with my drummer over the weekend and it was plenty loud at less than a quarter volume.

guitar center just recently began carrying this brand but they are a smaller company that hand wires all of their amps. you can get this specific one in either a 1x12 combo or a head with a 1x12 cab. with the stack option, you can get either the 1x12 cab and daisy chain as many together as u want, (i believe they had 36 together at NAMM). but this is truly an awesome amp company. in all honesty, i purchased this amp without hearing it. i took my guitar teachers word who played them at NAMM and got my local shop to start carrying them, i purchased it as soon as i heard his opinions on them and i am more than happy.

give them a shot, this is a great option for saving money but still getting a tube amp
You see though, I live in England and the Peavey official website shows that the Vypyr 75 is about £118 over my budget (Which is £200 at most). I might be able to find the Vypyr 30 under that but not the 75. is the £100 price difference between the 30 and the 15 worth the extra money? What features does the 30 have that the 15 doesn't?
TheRipperA7X
Quote by TheRipperA7X
You see though, I live in England and the Peavey official website shows that the Vypyr 75 is about £118 over my budget (Which is £200 at most). I might be able to find the Vypyr 30 under that but not the 75. is the £100 price difference between the 30 and the 15 worth the extra money? What features does the 30 have that the 15 doesn't?

i would definately not reccomend the vypyr for any high gain stuff like that. i had the 75 and absolutely hated the tone
Quote by andrerist
i would definately not reccomend the vypyr for any high gain stuff like that. i had the 75 and absolutely hated the tone

It's a $300 digital modeling amp, don't expect hardwired tube tone from it. It's at least better than the Spider and MG series's and pretty much any other cheapo practice amp in it's price range.
The 30 is probably worth the extra money because a 12" speaker and larger cab is a big tone upgrade. The 30 also has a stompbox selection that the 15 lacks. The 30 can get firmware updates and the 15 can't. Plus the extra wattage.

The Vypyr's main plus is high gain tones and they are good. Cleans are good too. The blues and rock gain tones are a bit grainy IMO, but useable. My opinions come from owning a 15.