I've always loved SG's but never liked epiphones and could never afford Gibson. Just saw the Melody Maker series and they seriously caught my atention. The only thing that makes me hisitant about it is the maple body.

Weight doesnt bother me at all (i play a big schecter damien 6 with a bolt on neck, im used to it). But how will it sound with high gain? I like a tight low end, mids that can cut through the mix, and a nice presence. Will this be able to do that? I've never played a mapple guitar before.

Also! Are SG's neck heavy? will they tip down while i play it? Ive only played them sitting down at guitar center and at friends houses. if so ill look for the explorer instead.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
I just got an Epiphone SG G400 w/ a silverburst paint job. It's modeled after the Gibson '65 SGs I believe (don't quote me on that and I'm too lazy to do the research right now lol). And honestly I love it! It's not exactly a Gibson SG but for the price it kicks serious ass! I mainly play stoner metal and I can get an awesome tone with it, so in high gain settings it works pretty well. It's a little top heavy and the neck dips quite a bit. The guitar is really light though, so I don't really have a problem with the neck dipping. Hope that helps!
*facepalm*
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
Hey man, I tried helping out. Just saying, in general, SGs are pretty versatile. You're gonna get neck dips but it shouldn't affect you're playing. And just because it says "Epiphone" instead of "Gibson" on the headstock doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Well If it has p90s it's not gonna give you the kind of big metal sound you're after. The bass will be loose, and a maple body sounds like it would be another step in the wrong direction, as well as very heavy. I know you said you were fine with weight, but I think the difference will be quite significant.
Honk
You're really throwing out many, many great options simply because you're bias about a headstock logo. Anyone knows Epiphone is an incredibly reputable brand.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
p-90s in the Melody Maker would not realy suit metal very much.....don't buy a guitar just for what it says on the headstock........a melody maker is probably gibson's cheapest production guitar and I'd say that a high end epiphone could do so much more for the same price or cheaper. But there are other guitar brands. look at the LTD viper models.....they have an SG-esque shape and way more suited for metal.
melody makers have their uses, i do not own one, and likely wont, but i have played them before and again for some tones they are great guitars, for metal, no.

as far as paying for a headstock shape, i don't know how i feel about that, as i own six Gibbys, four made in the last few years, and two vinage and love them all.

so epiphone would be the way to go in your scenario if you aren't looking to spend $800-$1000 new or used depending what it is. i have seen full trim Gibson studios go on CL for $500, they are very nice guitars, even some of them older than the new weight releived ones.

but don't knock the melody maker in general, but it is certainly the wrong guitar for your inteded use.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Aren't the new SGs the ones with a single bridge humbucker, not all P90s? I was looking at the Explorer and Flying V ones, I'll go check, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a P90.

That said, I still don't like the look, but that shouldn't be top priority when shopping. It'll depend on your amp, but it could make a decent lead guitar.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
at pretty much this entire thread.

guys, he just said "i've never liked epiphones", probably referring to epiphone SGs specifically, and never gave a reason for it.. so you just automatically assume it's because of the brand name on the headstock

on top of that so far only one person who has replied actually knows what model this guy is talking about

the melody maker SG should be decent for metal, but might be a little too bright sounding for your tastes - maple is a very bright tonewood.

the build quality is very good for the money though - when compared to other similarly priced guitars it seems like quality vs features, and it's up to you to decide which is more important to you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, get it! One of the greatest Gibson's I've played. Along side the Les Paul Raw Power model, wouldn't think twice about making the purchase.

I play in a black metal band with my SG Melody Maker, looks the part and definitely sounds it. Don't hold back!

*trollface*
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by JustRooster
You're really throwing out many, many great options simply because you're bias about a headstock logo. Anyone knows Epiphone is an incredibly reputable brand.

Yes, but in my experience the Melody Makers are still light-years beyond the average Epiphone build quality. Besides, they have humbuckers now. This may actually be what the OP wants.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I think it will work well for metal, it has strings and a bridge humbucker, that's pretty much what you need for metal, right?

Maple is a bright tone wood, keep that in mind though.
But with the right EQing and maybe a darker sounding humbucker if you are going to change it you can tame that easily.

You should also take a look at the SG Special Faded, they are "proper" SGs made of mahagony with 2 pickups, sound great and are very affordable as well, maybe a bit more than the MM SG, but still affordable enough.
Quote by Blompcube
at pretty much this entire thread.

guys, he just said "i've never liked epiphones", probably referring to epiphone SGs specifically, and never gave a reason for it.. so you just automatically assume it's because of the brand name on the headstock

on top of that so far only one person who has replied actually knows what model this guy is talking about

the melody maker SG should be decent for metal, but might be a little too bright sounding for your tastes - maple is a very bright tonewood.

the build quality is very good for the money though - when compared to other similarly priced guitars it seems like quality vs features, and it's up to you to decide which is more important to you.

thank you for actually reading this!
the only thing i was curious about was the maple body. never played one before. some of you guys are serious trolls that just loooove to answer questions without reading them properly... *sigh* thanks to all those who actually read this and helpeed
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
If you don't use a neck pickup and you don't down tune a lot then the new Melody Maker models will do you fine. Maple is a good body wood, yes it is bright but it was used a lot in the 80s for everything from regular pop and rock to metal. You just have to be careful not to put in a really bright pickup too or use it with an amp that has lots of treble. Bright pickups + bright amp + maple = Prince's tone and that ain't metal. Also the wraparound bridge is slightly dodgy on intonation for regular E Standard tuning with regular gauge strings. If you wanted to use heavier strings and down tune then it would sound really off and there's no way to correct it.
The new ones with the 491T in the bridge might. You could always swap that out for something different.

Depending on the kind of "metal" you're into, I've seen Drop Dead Gorgeous play with Les Paul Junior's.
Quote by grohl1987
If you don't use a neck pickup and you don't down tune a lot then the new Melody Maker models will do you fine. Maple is a good body wood, yes it is bright but it was used a lot in the 80s for everything from regular pop and rock to metal. You just have to be careful not to put in a really bright pickup too or use it with an amp that has lots of treble. Bright pickups + bright amp + maple = Prince's tone and that ain't metal. Also the wraparound bridge is slightly dodgy on intonation for regular E Standard tuning with regular gauge strings. If you wanted to use heavier strings and down tune then it would sound really off and there's no way to correct it.

thanks for the info on the wrap around bridge.never would have thought of that. I play in drop B so it would be terrible. thank you for being intuitive
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
Quote by grohl1987

Sorry what?

Source.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Acap0624
thanks for the info on the wrap around bridge.never would have thought of that. I play in drop B so it would be terrible. thank you for being intuitive

you can put a tunamatic bridge and add a stop tail piec for relitively cheap, probably less than $100, but not positive. That p/u will not hold up and sound good with the"sound" you want, you'll proly want some thing like the duncan custom custom to get rid of the Icepic sound that those p/u' produce. And thats bringing the total to around $750 if you do the work yourself. so I think you'd be better off gettin a used SG for around $400-500. I saw a Gibson SG X a week or two ago for $400 and that is a nice 24 fret 1 HB guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate