I'm looking at getting an 8 string guitar sometime soon, but I was looking at the Blackstar HT-20 for a new amp, as at the mo I'm still using my awful Line 6 Spider III and I really want to upgrade. The Blackstar seemed really nice, and it's pretty much at the top end of my budget, so it was just about affordable (however much I would like the HT-40 I just can't quite afford it, but I could stretch to the extra £100 if I waited a while I suppose). I'm just wondering now if the HT-20 would be able to cope with the lows of the 8 string? I don't know much about 8 string guitars, and how average amps cope with them, or if there are amps better suited to them, or what really.
If the Blackstar can't cope with it, any suggestions to another amp? If so:

Budget: £500 max (preferably £450)
Genres: Metal, but need nice cleans (Animals As Leaders/Periphery kinda clean at the very least)
New/Used: Don't care
Home/Gig: Home. Gig would be nice, but I can always mic up
Closest City: Anywhere in South England really, so London or Bristol
Current Gear: Epi Les Paul, Peerless Tonemaster Player
Other: FX-Loop definitely, built in reverb would be nice but not needed.

TL;DR
Blackstar HT-20, can handle 8 string? If not, suggestions?
Sigh... any amp can handle an 8 string. However I really have to ask. Do you really need an 8 string?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I wouldnt use a black star for an 8, I think it isnt tight enough for the massive low end of an 8.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You could get a used 6505/5150 combo and swap out the speaker for £500 I reckon, that'd be much better, although it won't get you the awesome cleans you want, the br00talz will all be there
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

You could get the 2x12 5150/6505 used i think.

Theres a few going about ebay for around 500 shame they're pickup only.
stupid pussys cant ship any amp
you could always sweet talk them with parcel2go.
works more often then you'd think
Quote by coolstoryangus
You could get the 2x12 5150/6505 used i think.

Theres a few going about ebay for around 500 shame they're pickup only.
stupid pussys cant ship any amp
you could always sweet talk them with parcel2go.
works more often then you'd think

Yeah, I've seen a couple 6505 112s on gumtree for 350ish and a 5150 212 for 400 Seems the best option for that budget really.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Why the dislike for Blackstars? I've been told they're really well built, and, to me at least, they sound pretty nice?
I can find quite a few pretty cheap 5150 212s, but they don't seem to get much on reviews for cleans, are they really that bad?
They're disliked because there pirates that put solid state clipping diodes in the circuit while claiming there amps are all tube.

For what you want a 6505/5150 would be pretty good. The clean isnt the greatest but whatever the distortion more than makes up for it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
solid state clipping diodes in the circuit while claiming there amps are all tube.

I know this is just asking for flaming, and I don't mean to be rude, but how much does that actually decrease the quality of sound? It just seems like a kind of elitist thing to say; just because it's not all tube it's sucky. I'm not saying it necessarily is, I mean, maybe the sound is hundreds times worse, I just don't want to avoid something simply because it's not vintage or all tube or something
Last edited by theknuckster at May 18, 2011,
Not by THAT much but its not really about elitism and more about false advertising plus you can get better amps for the money anyway..

Its more the fact that they have "ALL-TUBE" written all over there advertising then the fact that they have the diodes.
OK, thanks, I'll have a try with a 5150 sometime then, see how average the cleans are and all that. Sorry for the apparently amateur questions!
the 6505 112 combo is like £450 new, can probs get a decent deal on a used on tho
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Don't get a Peavey 6505 112 combo if you're playing at home and cannot use a lot of volume. Yes, the amp can be distorted at low levels but it will sound like a tin of bees. Everyone says it sounds awesome just because it's valve, but that's just them being n00bs. It doesn't sound awesome at all.

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to get something like a Line6 Flextone III and patch a BBE Sonic Stomp into the loop (yes, that pedal sucks but it's awesome for transistor-based products). The Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is also a solid choice for home use, as is the Line6 Spider Valve.

Ideally you should get a Vetta II, Axe-Fx, Line6 DT-50, or something of that nature, but those are all quite expensive.

Also, actually, a nice clean amp like a Fender DRRI with a few high quality distortion pedals will give you great tone at any volume settings. Or if you wanted more low-end to better match the eight string, try and find a cheap Laney LC30 or something like that, ignore the speaker, and purchase a 2x12 like a Framus Dragon or something like that. That will provide you with a nice and tight low-end.
I'm not a big fan of Line 6s, I'll admit, but I've only ever used their cheaper stuff, so I'll have a look at some of their stuff. The Flextone III is apparently out of production, but I'm sure I'd be able to find one second hand. The Peavey Vypry Tube 60 looks pretty sweet, but I think that many on board effects are a bit overkill, as I'd like to build up a good pedalboard in time.
I was looking into something like the Axe-Fx, but yeah, it's really expensive. I really don't get this whole preamp, power amp, speaker set-up I've heard about though. I mean, I understand the principle, but what, do you just buy a preamp, plug it into a power amp, then into a regular cab? Is that maybe a good road to go down for me?
I'm not such a fan of Fender cleans really, I prefer British cleans (I really really like Orange cleans, but their cheapest amp with an FX loop is quite a lot, I do believe), but I'll check out an LC30 too. Is there not a Laney head in that kinda price range, so I wouldn't have to get a combo, only to use separate speakers?
Last edited by theknuckster at May 18, 2011,
A cheaper version of the AxeFX is a Digidesign ElevenRack with a monitor or a PC. No expensive setup required, just the rack unit.
I'm sure I'll face some criticism for this opinion, but I prefer the tone of the Blackstar amps I've played over 5150s and 6505s. I like the 6505, but I don't understand the ridiculous amount of love they get. The Blackstars I've played have more clarity and better tone in my opinion. And more than enough gain.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by Seref
A cheaper version of the AxeFX is a Digidesign ElevenRack with a monitor or a PC. No expensive setup required, just the rack unit.

This is what I'm confused about; would I not need a power amp to run one straight into a guitar cab?
Quote by bogg808
you would need a power amp if you run it into a cab. What hes saying, is that you use your headphones/pc monitors

Or PA system even. Cab emulation and all that.
Too many options, I really can't cope! If I get an Eleven Rack it makes recording so easy, but for live performance I'd need either a power amp and cab, or a decent computer set-up with good monitors, or a PA system, which is expensive, and the ER doesn't seem to get good write ups concerning live performances. I've tried an ENGL before, and the cleans were really not nice (although I'm pretty sure saying that will lose me respect ).
The Laney LC30 sounds really nice from what I've heard just searching around on YouTube, and I did really like the HT-20, but the LC30 doesn't have an emulated out, so recording is a lot trickier.
I just have no idea at all
ENGL!!!!!!

Theu with the money you have left over go and buy a pod for recording

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by theknuckster
I've tried an ENGL before, and the cleans were really not nice (although I'm pretty sure saying that will lose me respect ).

Try again. I love the cleans on my ENGL, but not through an ENGL cab. I have a Marshall cab and it works wonders. To be very honest, the distortion channel is more worrying than the cleans, but still amazing.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
WTF did you do to it to get a bad clean sound?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Don't get a Peavey 6505 112 combo if you're playing at home and cannot use a lot of volume. Yes, the amp can be distorted at low levels but it will sound like a tin of bees. Everyone says it sounds awesome just because it's valve, but that's just them being n00bs. It doesn't sound awesome at all.

I've been playing for 13 years. I think my 6505 112 sounds awesome, and I have played Oranges and even a Mesa Mark V. Especially when I swapped my bridge pickup for a Dimarzio D-sonic. BROOOOOOTAL. You really can't argue with that...

And it sounds pretty good with the volume at 2, not a tin of bees like you're saying, not even close (I used to run a Marshal MG with Boss Metal Zone - I know what a hornet's nest sounds like...) Although, 3 sounds even better/fatter/ballsier.

And to the original poster, I don't play an 8-string, but I tune my guitar to D standard and occasionally drop the low string to C (drop-C tuning). It sounds just fine and very tight at that low tuning; I imagine you could take it even further. A lot of it will depend on your pickups and your EQing.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I wouldn't suggest the HT for an 8 string, I have an HT5, and i don't know about the other models in that series but this one crackles when i chug on drop D, so I'd imagine an 8 string wouldn't sound great!
Quote by KailM
I've been playing for 13 years. I think my 6505 112 sounds awesome, and I have played Oranges and even a Mesa Mark V. Especially when I swapped my bridge pickup for a Dimarzio D-sonic. BROOOOOOTAL. You really can't argue with that...

And it sounds pretty good with the volume at 2, not a tin of bees like you're saying, not even close (I used to run a Marshal MG with Boss Metal Zone - I know what a hornet's nest sounds like...) Although, 3 sounds even better/fatter/ballsier.

And to the original poster, I don't play an 8-string, but I tune my guitar to D standard and occasionally drop the low string to C (drop-C tuning). It sounds just fine and very tight at that low tuning; I imagine you could take it even further. A lot of it will depend on your pickups and your EQing.
To each his own. I wouldn't personally play a 60 watt valve amp with the volume on 2 unless I was using it for clean tones. Even then I'd be constantly increasing the volume more and more as I became accustomed to the amp and the setting in which I was playing in.

My Soldano 50 watt head sounded good set at two in the shop (it was as loud as I was allowed to play it), and ironically it wasn't until I said, fuck it, and bought it that I understood how good it could sound, even with the volume at three.

The difference was enormous. The difference between 3 and 4 was big but not as big, and the difference between 4 and 5 didn't actually improve the tone, it just compressed it more, added a tiny bit of dirt and pushed the speakers harder and allowed all the lush frequencies to bloom.

A tin of bees is obviously an exageration because no one actually knows what a tin of bees sounds like, but I personally hated how fizzy it sounded. It's the same with Mesa Boogie amps like the Dual Rectifier. People - mostly kids - buy those amps for their home because someone on the internet told them it doesn't need a lot of volume to distort. It does need a lot of volume to sound worth it.

My 2c.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I personally hated how fizzy it sounded.

This is my biggest issue with the 6505 line. I still like them, but the fizz is a big turnoff and probably why I'll never own one. The cleans are also an issue for me.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by theknuckster
Why the dislike for Blackstars? I've been told they're really well built, and, to me at least, they sound pretty nice?
I can find quite a few pretty cheap 5150 212s, but they don't seem to get much on reviews for cleans, are they really that bad?

The hate is for the HT series, The other amps are superb.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Tom 1.0
HT5 exclusively

My other guitarist uses a ht stage 60 on stage. it sounds pretty good.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
All the ht series have the clipping diode shenanigans from what i've heard which is what people hate on. Doesn't mean they sound bad as such but they do have ss parts..