So ive been playing guitar since i was 8 with my dad in his oldies band. I love to play guitar but I feel like im stuck? i can basically play anything i put my mind to. I have a good ear. But idk were to go? i can play scales and stuff i play songs from bands like circa survive, paramore, greenday a wide variety but idk im getting tired of just playing songs i want to be able to write songs and make solos and stuff im doing alright with the soloing ive been working on righting little riffs and stringing them together im learning to read music but idk i just feel stuck i feel im not as good as i could be. any ideas?
Play with other people.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Play with other people.

i tried that but i cant find serious musicians i can find lots of kids who want to play metal and arent very good but im not interested in playing metal
Quote by stevosmusic1
i tried that but i cant find serious musicians i can find lots of kids who want to play metal and arent very good but im not interested in playing metal

Latch on to anything you can to get your name out there man.

But what theory do you know? The songs you can play analyse what's happening in them musically, learn the structure, what the artist is doing, all that jazz so you can have reference in writing your own music.
Quote by stevosmusic1
So ive been playing guitar since i was 8 with my dad in his oldies band. I love to play guitar but I feel like im stuck? i can basically play anything i put my mind to. I have a good ear. But idk were to go? i can play scales and stuff i play songs from bands like circa survive, paramore, greenday a wide variety but idk im getting tired of just playing songs i want to be able to write songs and make solos and stuff im doing alright with the soloing ive been working on righting little riffs and stringing them together im learning to read music but idk i just feel stuck i feel im not as good as i could be. any ideas?

Learn music theory - you're perfect for it. You're hungry and creative, and Music Theory can break the sky wide open for you!

Best,

Sean
Learn Theory

As for song writing, its like practicing youll get better at it every time you write a song. So just write one, even if its 2 minutes long, and there are some parts you dont like.

"Commit and Summit" my theory teacher would always say, once you write it you can always come back and change it up down the road.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by Sean0913
Learn music theory - you're perfect for it. You're hungry and creative, and Music Theory can break the sky wide open for you!

Best,

Sean

thanks man ive been learning some theory on my own! and im taking a music theory class next year so im pretty excited for that