Can I run a guitar into a solid state amp through its line out into a valve head and then into a speaker without damaging something?

Or conversely will Guitar>valve amp speaker out>input of solid state combo amp break something?

just wondering because my solid state amp has effects/reverb etc whereas the valve head has nothing but a volume and an on switch
That should be fine. The line out is hotter than instrument so make sure you start with the volume low on both. Also the line out may have speaker compensation, which will dull the tone when run into another guitar amp.
that sounds like a VERY VERY VERY bad idea. I'm not 100% sure though.

What you CAN do, however, is that you can go run the tube amp's preamp into the poweramp of the SS amp (providing the internal effects are post FX Loop) and then into the speaker cab.

You would do this by running a cable from the tube amp's FX Send into the FX Return on the SS amp; provided it's a series FX loop. if It's a parallel fx loop, turn up the blend to 100%. You'd still have to have both amps connected to a speaker/cab though.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by fly135
That should be fine. The line out is hotter than instrument so make sure you start with the volume low on both. Also the line out may have speaker compensation, which will dull the tone when run into another guitar amp.

What do you mean by 'speaker compensation'?
Quote by Eskil Rask
that sounds like a VERY VERY VERY bad idea. I'm not 100% sure though.

What you CAN do, however, is that you can go run the tube amp's preamp into the poweramp of the SS amp (providing the internal effects are post FX Loop) and then into the speaker cab.

You would do this by running a cable from the tube amp's FX Send into the FX Return on the SS amp; provided it's a series FX loop. if It's a parallel fx loop, turn up the blend to 100%. You'd still have to have both amps connected to a speaker/cab though.

the tube head has nothing but a volume knob, no effects loop...
and what I can't really make sense of what your saying about connecting the tube preamp to the poweramp of the ss....that has practical joke turned manslaughter written all over it
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 17, 2011,
sounds fine just make sure you turn everything all the way up and play it in the shower
Quote by Scottorocker
sounds fine just make sure you turn everything all the way up and play it in the shower

Showers occupied will the kitchen sink do?
Quote by Ma-hog!
What do you mean by 'speaker compensation'?

you need something with an electrical resistance on the speaker jack of the solid state amp or it's poweramp will blow up.
What?
Quote by jesus3000
you need something with an electrical resistance on the speaker jack of the solid state amp or it's poweramp will blow up.

Ohh thank god you mentioned that, its forgetting things like this that caused the bungy jumping mishap, then how about going from the ss speaker out to the tube amp input?
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Ma-hog!
Ohh thank god you mentioned that, its forgetting things like this that caused the bungy jumping mishap, then how about going from the ss speaker out to the tube amp input?
No, that's not what speaker compensation means. You don't need to worry about the speaker on your SS amp because a) it's still connected and b) most SS amps don't have a problem with no speaker connected.

Speaker compensation is a filter that limits the frequency response of the audio signal in a way to simulate a guitar speaker. If you use a speaker compensated signal to feed a guitar amp then it may sound duller. The reason why the line out may be speaker compensated is because it's meant to feed a mixer. An uncompensated signal will sound harsh going into a mixer/computer/PA.
Quote by fly135
No, that's not what speaker compensation means. You don't need to worry about the speaker on your SS amp because a) it's still connected and b) most SS amps don't have a problem with no speaker connected.

Speaker compensation is a filter that limits the frequency response of the audio signal in a way to simulate a guitar speaker. If you use a speaker compensated signal to feed a guitar amp then it may sound duller. The reason why the line out may be speaker compensated is because it's meant to feed a mixer. An uncompensated signal will sound harsh going into a mixer/computer/PA.

oh okay I get ya now, thanks mate
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont

Don't do SS into a valve amp or vice versa???
The ideal setup would be SS preamp (send) out to tube poweramp (return) in but you don't have that.

Running the SS line level to the frontend of the tube amp is all you can do.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
The ideal setup would be SS preamp (send) out to tube poweramp (return) in but you don't have that.

Running the SS line level to the frontend of the tube amp is all you can do.

Thanks for a straight forward answer! Further googling has also shown that I won't kill myself, my solid state or most importantly my valve amp by going ss into valve
Doable.

I have taken a Marshall Lead 12 head (no speaker attached) and connected it via the Line Out to the input on my Sovtek Mig 50.

No problem.

And yes, make sure you start at a low volume and work up to the level you need.
Quote by irnmadn88
Doable.

I have taken a Marshall Lead 12 head (no speaker attached) and connected it via the Line Out to the input on my Sovtek Mig 50.

No problem.

And yes, make sure you start at a low volume and work up to the level you need.

If the SS's volume is getting too high for the valve amp how will I know?

Will it just fizz out in a flash and a poof of toxic smoke or will the sound start to change into something that makes you think "wait..that can't be good "???
TS, you crack me up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't know how strong the line level is but start very low. Get the volume out of the tube amp though.

I don't know anything about line levels so I guess it's time to educate myself. Anyway experiment with the line level and you may do good with it.

Unless someone can tell me here. Is the line level the signal level or is it after the preamp?
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Ma-hog!
If the SS's volume is getting too high for the valve amp how will I know?

Will it just fizz out in a flash and a poof of toxic smoke or will the sound start to change into something that makes you think "wait..that can't be good "???

What are the solid state/valve amps you are using?

My Lead 12 has only Gain, Volume, and the three tone knobs.

So I crank the gain, keep the volume low, and work from there.

In a sense it is just like a pedal in front of the amp, just with a slightly hotter output signal.

Oh, and I gave one of those Lead 12 speakers a glorious death ala EVH doing this. 50 watts tube into a speaker rated for 12 watts ss. Best sound I have ever heard...
Last edited by irnmadn88 at May 17, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I ran my Splawn into a Sears SS amp and it melted

Well at least you can warn others
Quote by irnmadn88
What are the solid state/valve amps you are using?

My Lead 12 has only Gain, Volume, and the three tone knobs.

So I crank the gain, keep the volume low, and work from there.

In a sense it is just like a pedal in front of the amp, just with a slightly hotter output signal.

Oh, and I gave one of those Lead 12 speakers a glorious death ala EVH doing this. 50 watts tube into a speaker rated for 12 watts ss. Best sound I have ever heard...

I don't know why but I want to do the exact same thing

I'm just worried about the signal being compressed by the MG being set to low volume

Usually I'd set the gain to taste, the channel volume up full and then fine tune the master volume to how loud I want to play

In my opinion it gives a better distortion and I do the opposite for the clean channel.