I've been having a problem with one of my guitars (ESP EX) where the clean channel sounds distorted. The problem can also be heard to a lesser degree on the distortion channel (it sounds a bit tinny). It sounded exactly like a battery problem (EMG 81/60), so I switched it out to no avail. A few weeks ago I tried switching the battery again, and it seemed to be fixed, but it immediately started doing it again.

I have made a little video to show the problem using my ESP Horizon NT-II as a comparison (so it's a guitar problem not an amp problem). The guitars are plugged right into the amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUOEiNhJF1c

Any advice on things to try would be greatly appreciated, because my next step is to take it in to the guitar tech and have him check it out.

Also please don't tell me that's just how EMGs sound because I have had the guitar for 3 years and it wasn't always like this.

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot to demonstrate this in the video but the problem exists on both pickups.

UPDATE: It's definitely a battery problem. I tried putting the old battery in (the one that sounded dead before) and for some reason it sounds good again. Also when I put the "new" battery in (the one that sounded good a few days ago and dead today), it sounds dead. So my conclusion is that the batteries are magically switching places with each other while I sleep, so that the dead one is always in the guitar. The batteries could just be of poor quality, but that doesn't make sense because they are brand new Duracells.

Here's the difference between the batteries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJv6jQK2mrY
Last edited by coolbeverage at May 17, 2011,
So wait, the amp isn't new, the guitar isn't new and the battery is new but suddenly you're getting distortion on your gain channel with one guitar but not the other?

Something must have happened to cause this change, what have you changed in your signal path recently?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nothing at all, I haven't added a new pedal since...about a year ago? Also the problem persists when I run straight to the amp. The patch cable is also a good two years old. The only thing I can think of is some sort of battery problem, but I've tried 3 new batteries (2 different brands) and the problem persists. I opened up the guitar to check for any loose soldering or wiring but couldn't find any (it's tighter in there than my other guitars so I wasn't able to see everything, but I saw the volume/toggle/tone knobs as well as the cord input thingie).
I am 100% at a loss then, I have literally no idea what could be the problem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've updated the original post. It still doesn't really make sense but for the moment it's working again.

Thanks for the response mister Zaphod.
It might not be the battery that is bad, but the harness itself is bad. You may want to replace it. It shouldn't cost over $15 to replace.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X