I've been using Guitar Pro v5 to learn/write stuff for a little while now, and I love it (other than the irritating midi sounds), but I'm really struggling with the drums.

It may just be because I'm a guitar player and have only dabbled in drums a little, but I'm fine with simple, quieter drum beats and stuff, but when I try to think up a beat that can carry a heavier riff or chord sequence, my mind goes blank! It's more difficult as I don't have a kit in front of me, so I'm doing it purely on Guitar Pro.

Can anyone give me any tips of how to come up with a good beat on GP v5?

Thanks
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
The best way to come up with good beats is just to pay attention to the drummers of bands that you like.
What you're asking really isn't relevant to guitar pro 5. Just how to write better drums. Analyze the drums in songs you like.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
What you're asking really isn't relevant to guitar pro 5. Just how to write better drums. Analyze the drums in songs you like.

Well kind of, as in some software there are samples and loops, I thought there may be something I'd missed. But yeah essentially I'm after writing better drums.

I try to analyse the drums in my favourite bands, but I find it really difficult to take a beat from a song and transfer it onto Guitar Pro or make it sound "full". The thing I want to achieve is where the drums really drive the whole thing, where the snare and tom hits are really prominent and sharp and you don't need to smash on cymbals to make a loud enough sound. Is that something I can do with different kit sounds or is it just the way that Guitar Pro is? Cause most of the time I find that snare and toms are really quiet in comparison...
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

It's a slow process learning drum beats. My advice, listen to the kinda music you want to write and note the similarities. For example most drums beats have the snare on the 2nd and/or 4th beat. Though metal music or music with only 1 snare per bar puts the snare on the 3rd beat.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
That's what I've been doing a lot of, but I find myself using the same patterns over and over again. Different drums/cymbals maybe, but often using the same beat, such as emphasising each 3rd beat on the snare or the 2nd and 4th. Maybe what I'm aiming to do is work out more fills... I'm not really sure in all honesty, I know the kind of sound I wanna get cause it's the kind of thing my drummer plays all the time, I just can't replicate it in my head.

Unfortunately, I don't have a drummer locked in my basement, although that would be useful at times :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart