Hello!

I have this assignment in class and I chose to try do something fun. I made two short covers of famous songs. The two songs are Owl City - "Fireflies" and Metallica - "Enter Sandman". I also made different versions where the song track differs.

Now here's the fun part. Listen to each version and tell me which version you think is Auto-tuned and write the options in the comments below. Try not to look on the other comments as they might influence your judgement. If you didn't know, Auto-tune is basicly when you alter a audio file, this time my song, and "tune" it in pitch.

It's a great thing because people like me, that can't really sing, suddenly can!

You can find the songs in this link! http://soundcloud.com/absolut_coffe/sets/autotune

Okey, here is the questions.

1. On the Cover of Fireflies (there are two versions) which track/tracks do you think has Auto-tune on the song?

A) Only Fireflies 1 has been Auto-tuned.
B) Only Fireflies 2 has been Auto-tuned.
C) Both have been Auto-tuned.
D) Neither one of them has been auto-tuned.

Okey. Easy? Great!

Here is the other

2. On the Cover of Enter Sandmand (there is now three versions) which track/tracks do you think has Auto-tune on the song.

A) On Enter sandman 1 and 2
B) On Enter sandman 1 and 3
C) On Enter sandman 2 and 3
D) On all versions.
E) On neither of them.

The point of this test is what YOU think, there is no right or wrong, well kinda but that's not the point, I want to know what you think.

Also if possible, tell as many as you can to do this test. It only takes a second to do and it helps me if alot of people participate.

Cheers!
All Enter Sandman (None of them were auto-tuned very well though.) Although I wasn't 100% sure on 3 because the backing vocals differs from the main line (timing wise) so it may give a feel that isn't there. But some parts seems virbratoy in places I wouldn't. I just assume the attack is down a little bit on auto-tune in 3.

On Fireflies both is autotuned I believe as its wobbly on track 2 (track 1 is without a doubt), but that could just be poor singing.

The biggest problem in these clips is I can tell your not a real strong singer so I am not sure if you are just wobbling around the notes or if its pitch correction. On a professional singer its easier to tell. Just look at Avril Lavigne you can here about every time it is used. Like her or not she has a real strong voice. Your voice has the wobbly effect of auto-tune even on the possible 2 clean ones. Same can be said with aligned vocals. I have never heard a commercial song that had vocals so unaligned.
Last edited by FireHawk at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Fat g0r0T
Both Fireflies are autotuned. ..use vocalign please.

All Enter Sandman autotuned.

Only the first Fireflies is auto tuned, the second uses the offset vocals to give the....I don't know really how to described, it sounds like it might be auto tuned, but it isn't.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Sandman 1 and 2 are autotuned.

Fireflies 1 is autotuned.

The double-tracked vocals make it challenging.
Both Fireflies are Autotuned, all Sandmans are as well.

Auto-Tune, unless you're a rapper, shouldn't be a noticeable effect. Download the track in my sig (Yeah, you gotta have facebook and shit) and guess where I used Auto Tune.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Both Fireflies are Autotuned, all Sandmans are as well.

Auto-Tune, unless you're a rapper, shouldn't be a noticeable effect. Download the track in my sig (Yeah, you gotta have facebook and shit) and guess where I used Auto Tune.

This.

There is more pitch correction programs than just auto-tune.
enter sandman 1 was auto tuned. enter sandman 2 was too but not as obviously. enter sandman 3 didn't sand quite as in tune so im guessing it wasn't auto tuned although it sounded like it may have been.
You need to learn how to pitch correct vocals correctly.

You have really obvious and (aethestically) bad sound autone artifacts. For the type of stuff you're wanting to achieve in firefies look into graphic mode. But I'm going to hazard a guess and say you've downloaded it illegally and googled "owl city autotune settings" and used them.

Is that superior drummer for the kit? why a roll on every snare hit?
Not to give away too much but the reason i used two audiotracks, slightly panned to left/right, is to give a hint of what is Auto-tuned since I'm not a singer, any difference between them two is to either confuse you or hint something. Your answers are quite interesting and I look forward for more answers! Also, don't correct others answers please. There isn't a right or wrong on this test, but I can go into detail on that when my test is over in about a week.