So i'm done learning barre chords (E shaped, A shaped, 7th, M7ths, etc) and i just decided to start learning solos and stuff. I've been playing for just under 4 months now but i've never really practiced my scales so i can't exactly pick fast (i think my max was 225 SINGLE notes when i tried w/ a metronome a while back). So anyway i'm not exactly the kind of person to practice scales day and night, but i want to be able to improvise and stuff, so what should be my practice goal?

Thx a ton m8es =p
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
What I did/do is just watch tv and improv with the music that comes on during commercials and such.
I'd say it depends on what type of solo you are wanting to play. Insane metal shredding type solos can be quite different from slow emotional ballad type solos. Really depends what type of music you're interested in playing, and each specific song your playing. Of course speed is always nice to have when needed, but for starters, I'd say focus on the actual notes you're playing,not the speed at which you're playing them.
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Last edited by Talk Box at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Lennon993
what should be my practice goal?

Learning to ignore speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Slow enough to where you let your ear guide you to what notes to play, otherwise you'll just be letting your fingers randomly choose notes.
Whatever solos/scales/melodies you learn, focus on accuracy, even if it means slowing the speed down until you can hit the notes cleanly. Do this regularly and you will find that speed will come naturally.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Improvising has nothing to do with speed.

Guitar playing in general has very little to do with speed...fast doesn't automatically equate to "good". There's little point in being able to move your hands at lightning speed if you don't actually know what you want to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I find if I'm improvising then I normally play quite fast, although it really does depend on what mood I'm in. But make sure you are playing the right notes because if you don't it just sounds like you dropped your guitar.
Hehe so i was going about it the wrong way and the general consensus is to take it slowly. Thx a ton guys.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"