I'm in the market for a new guitar. A bit about myself:

I like mainly metal. I like playing Bodom where I can, some Behemoth, Metallica, Lamb of God... a weeny bit of Slayer, that sort of thing.

but at the same time it's nice to bust out a bit of softer Metallica and I like, (for example) playing Come Clarity by In Flames.

So that sets the scene for the stuff I'm playing.

Current Guitar: Jackson RR5 (Korean made). It's a great guitar, but I want an Ebony fingerboard and 24 frets. I want to keep the flying V shape though, ideally the Rhoads shape. I want an EXTREMELY low action, like almost touching the frets low without any of the buzz, and I know that that can cost serious money to get a guitar like that. I got my Jackson set up by a top notch luthier but it simply won't sit mega mega low without a bit of buzz although it has certainly improved the feel.

Guitar I have my eye on: ESP Alexi-Blacky... I believe this 2500 dollars (might be getting one when I go to Los Angeles/New York in July), but I am hearing that this is an inflated price for a signature model... or is it?

Would I be OK in buying this or is there another guitar that you wonderful, sexy readers know about that blows the Alexi-Blacky out of the water? It doesn't have to be ESP necessarily, but I hear good things about them and Jackson for the style of guitar I want. Price range around 2000 to 2500. Or perhaps nothing is that much vastly better and I should just get the Blacky? Don't be afraid to suggest anything!

Thanks SO much in advance guys!
isnt the rr24 on par with the LTD model? i.e. the Alexi-600-Blacky? I'm talking about the ESP Alexi-Blacky. Similar guitar just made in different places, slightly different bridge and tuners and other minor things. As I understand it, the 600 LTD model is a cheaper, supposedly worse model that is on par with the RR24 and the ESP is a new cut above them both... ( ? )
Last edited by Kabirsbhasin at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
rr24

Bingo, I'm not even a metal palyer and when I had a go at one of these I was shredding like a mother****er. Amazing feel on the rr24 and if you set it up like the one I played, action so low the strings are almost behind the fretboard. And I didn't even notice a hint of buzz (except for the buzz caused by my lack of finesse hah).

*edit*
Gotta be a top of the line Jackson. Dunno of the rr24 was the model name but it was a 24 fret rhoads. Sorry I can't be more specific, not exactly a jackson buff.
Last edited by Weybl Himself at May 17, 2011,
If you want to keep the Rhoads shape, you want 24 frets, ebony fretboard and a Floyd Rose.. Go for RR24. The ESP Alexi Blacky is pretty much a waste of a few hundred dollars just cause of the logo ESP and then the signature. Besides, I prefer EMG 81 over Alexi's special EMG set. Also the ESP Alexi model is way much bulkier than a Rhoads. The shape might look the same online, but when you see it with your eyes in any angle, the ESP Alexi isn't definitely even close.
So as Tom stated, RR24 is the best option.
If just V shape is okay with you, then you could also check the King V section, like for example Jackson KV2. It is really a good guitar with no sacrifices but the money and it truly pays off.
But if you want an even better Jackson, check out the used section for good ol' Japan and USA Jackson guitars. They're much different caliber than the today's Jackson guitars.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 17, 2011,
WHile I think the blacky is a great looking guitar for 2500 bucks, not having a neck pickups seem retarded under any circumstances to me. that's nearly custom guitar range.
Honk
I'm pretty surprised. I'm finding the RR24 is less than half the price of the ESP Blacky and most of you are saying it is pretty much undoubtedly better... is the ESP and signature mark up THAT much to over double the price of the RR24?
Pretty much.

What do you think his ESP is based on?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Carvin has a rhoads v that is basically upside down...in my experience, doesn't get much better than carvin for the prics, plus you can customize all the options you want.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by Tom 1.0
Pretty much.

What do you think his ESP is based on?

Exactly. As a Bodom fan, the only reason why he switched to ESP is because someone stole his Jacksons (dick) and they could make one in a year, ESP in a few months.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
For that kind of money, you should look into an ESP SV. They isn't really a market for them in the US, but there are usually a couple on ebay.

I'd venture to say that it'd be a better guitar quality wise than an RR24.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I suggest that you look into the ESP SV-II or the Jackson RR24.

Though both are great instruments I prefer my RR24 as everyday guitar.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 18, 2011,
Yup. ESP SV-II, or maybe an Edwards Rhoads? As an ESP and a ex-Jackson owner, I think its safe to say that I believe ESP would be a better choice. Though, as many people said the RR24 is a great guitar. Sometimes you just don't wanna walk around everywhere with a top-of-the-range ESP. :P
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by holycow
with $2500, i think u can get a custom guitar.

Not from ESP prices. I used their custom form and basically entered the exact specs of the ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (Which sells from anywhere between $1800 - $2500) and they were quoting me like $6000 and that's without any awesome customisation like a nice paintjob.
Quote by Beauty/Broken
Not from ESP prices. I used their custom form and basically entered the exact specs of the ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (Which sells from anywhere between $1800 - $2500) and they were quoting me like $6000 and that's without any awesome customisation like a nice paintjob.

He didn't mean from ESP, he meant from a luthier.
leaning slightly toward the esp SVII at the moment. I tried an rr24 and personally i didnt like it BUT I don't think it was Jackson USA; I think it was Korean (or wherever else Jackson make guitars); maybe I need to try a USA model.

Obviously I need to actually go and try an SVII out... so aside from maybe an RR24 (I'll have to try both), is there anything else along these lines?

Also does anyone know a good priced dealer in LA?
Also the guitars you guys are suggesting are slightly or significantly under 2000 bucks. The thing is, is there anything that is better, dollar for dollar than the currently suggested guitars?

Naturally I don't want to aimlessly waste money if I can just spend like 1800 on the SVII for example, but I figure if I have up to 2500 (at the very most), and can get something that is clearly better, I should, but if not, then I guess I may as well save the money?
Where are you in the world? USA?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
lol I live in London but am holidaying to LA (and later New YOrk) in July. I'm saving up to buy a sweet axe then.

Just noticed the ESP NV. Anyone know much about it and how it compares to the SV II or RR24?
so you have what like £2K to spend...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well whats that in £?

There are some fantastic luthiers in the UK who could make you an incredible guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Kabirsbhasin
Also the guitars you guys are suggesting are slightly or significantly under 2000 bucks. The thing is, is there anything that is better, dollar for dollar than the currently suggested guitars?

Naturally I don't want to aimlessly waste money if I can just spend like 1800 on the SVII for example, but I figure if I have up to 2500 (at the very most), and can get something that is clearly better, I should, but if not, then I guess I may as well save the money?

http://www.carvin.com/

It doesn't get much better than that dollar for dollar
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
it kinda does, for the money a carvin would cot him if he ordered one from the UK, he could get a Jaden Rose, Daemoness or even a 2nd hand Blackmachine

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Kabirsbhasin

Just noticed the ESP NV. Anyone know much about it and how it compares to the SV II or RR24?

I think they look terrible, but they're most likely identical to the SV-II, quality wise. I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tom 1.0
it kinda does, for the money a carvin would cot him if he ordered one from the UK, he could get a Jaden Rose, Daemoness or even a 2nd hand Blackmachine

Jaden doesn't do Vs, but he's still a ****ing incredible luthier.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

i think if your paying he will do whatever you want.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92
For that kind of money, you should look into an ESP SV. They isn't really a market for them in the US, but there are usually a couple on ebay.

I'd venture to say that it'd be a better guitar quality wise than an RR24.

This, all of it.

And thanks for reminding me that I'm still broke and nowhere near mine.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
TS; another idea would be the Matt Tuck Jackson RR. I see them go under $800 used. No tremolo, I don't think. There might be a version with a trem, I'm not quite sure.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Oh I didn't realize they would charge that much for international shipping...if he is set to spend 2500 though I would have to agree that custom is the way to go...a $1200 carvin can't really stand up to a nice custom guitar
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by Tom 1.0
i think if your paying he will do whatever you want.

Yeah that makes sense, but I think I heard someone say he only does superstrats, teles, and the Ghost Frets, but it's worth asking him anyway
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Sorry mate thats complete BS, he built somebody a replica Ibanez fireman just over a year ago. So he will make anything so long as your willing to pay and wait. Though I personally would have Jaden build me a custom, I would go to Dylan at Daemoness, but its all preference after all.

Quote by chrisg7
Oh I didn't realize they would charge that much for international shipping...if he is set to spend 2500 though I would have to agree that custom is the way to go...a $1200 carvin acan't really stand up to a nice custom guitar

no its not that mate,

Carvin cost around 3 times the price if you order through their UK site.

Basscially an Ultra V would cost you say about $1500 ( £900 ) but if you order it through a UK dealer which you have to do, it would cost about $3000 ( £1800 ) it as if Carvin deliberately only want US buys, which is fair enough.

TS you do realise if you buy a guitar in the states you then have to pay VAT and customs fee when you brng it back, so if you spent $2500, its going to actually cost closer to $3300 after all the charges.

Seriously look into UK based luthiers, Daemoness start at £1500 and go from there, but they are rapidly becoming a very very very very well respected brand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 18, 2011,
Holy hell Daemoness looks sweet. Gonna contact him as a point of query. Now I have my eye on the ESP Blacky, SV-II, Jackson RR24 and KV 2 and a Daemoness too.... so freaking confused right now lol
Not really.

if you buy from the states, you will be paying about $3 after taxes etc etc,

go to Dylan and he can make your dream V for what you want to pay? you will also have the security of the fact its from the same country you live in and not like 7000 miles away?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
just talked to him today. 1800-2100 ish in pounds which is far more than the ESP/Jacksons I'm looking at which are running about the same or even less in dollars. Plus a 10 month wait. I wish I could just pop over to Bristol from London in a snap to play for a few minutes but that might not be viable.