Page 1 of 2
The cause is a lack of spirit, and the solution is to reject "safety" and "peace," and explore the edge of risk. Feel the terror, the pain, the glory and the joy, again. Right now, we're a society on anti-depressants that barely feels a thing, glad for the comforting numbness but also missing out on lives that, if we were paying attention, offer a lot more than we partake. Instead we pursue the same mechanical pleasures.

We are scheming on modern society, cruising on the wealth of the industrial revolution, to make us all materially fat and happy by removing our fears; our Satans, our Hitlers, and even our fears that there is no moral God guiding us, or no Utopian moral Society guiding us, but only a space in which we must make what we desire. Because we have no idea what we desire. We are living in a plastic simulation of a real world, built from the memories of our media lords and writers of government pamphlets, based on a morality that is dysfunctional and a dream of an empty, sterile pointless existence that we desire because it is both safe and greedy, letting us indulge our fantasies. Yet all of this is part of a power structure that undermines us.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=222

What has made metal great is that it acknowledges, embraces and glorifies the truths that the weak shy away from. We are beings of war, struggling eternally against the backdrop of an indifferent universe, and only the conquerors matter. Terrifying for the ordinary, but beautiful to those who are prepared to rise above.
corrupt.org is pure garbage, makes me chuckle, libertarian propaganda to try to point at past left-wing European countries to blame for the society we live in today. Clueless.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I've been fanatic about Metal always pushing to the extremes and not feeling sorry for it.
It's fantastic but that's an understated adjective to describe it. But it's not by the only means of some shitty backwards belief called Nihilism, which this article places the sole purpose for Heavy Metal. "Nietzche is God! Nothing is not! Nothing can be learned or communicated and it's hopeless. Boohoo!" If nothing can be communicated or learned, did I just spend the last eighteen years of my life hearing voices in my head? Some people take this music as an extreme to connect with their own personal deity whether it be a monotheistic or polytheistic diety.

It's art. We interpret it the way we want.

Anyways, I didn't come to start a philosophical battle, despite my two cents. What really perplexes me is the sheer hypocrisy of the ANUS article when it comes to the praise of Black Metal. Did anyone else catch it?

The author is saying that all corporations and modern society are a dysfunctional good - therefore we can only agree it is evil. It is impure; the Industrial Revolution corrupted everything that was once beauteous and natural. People now live busy, mundane lives as worker ants and cockroaches (I had a test on "The Metamorphosis" by Kafka today, how fitting!).

Black Metal rejects all that is good in favor of war and self-determination...
•Black metal: No peace can exist, and nothing is equal or pure. Morality is garbage invented by the weak. What matters is making yourself better, pushing yourself farther than ever before. War is our destiny, and this is good, because it cures stagnation and indecision. What matters most is the best rising, the supremacy of the conqueror and predator, so that we do not become weak.

...as well as believing "nothing is equal or pure" - like the corporation-run societies which it so thoroughly "rejects". So let me sum up my viewpoint: this article shows me that Black Metal is pretty much a Coca-Cola company and nothing more because it runs on the same track.

Or more fitting...a KFC joint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1rYr4BXAI
Quote by Dylar
What has made metal great is that it acknowledges, embraces and glorifies the truths that the weak shy away from.

Right.
hitler wouldve pwned shit up if he lived to see starcraft, dota, etc etc

and hanus, dont wanna be a hater but every time ive seen you post you're moaning about something as well...
Quote by illuminatiano
corrupt.org is pure garbage, makes me chuckle, libertarian propaganda to try to point at past left-wing European countries to blame for the society we live in today. Clueless.

Corrupt died and has nothing to do with the article at hand, but I'll pass along your thoughts... not that I would be able to though, as I have no way of communicating with anyone associated with that website.

Quote by Mathedes
Nietzche is God! Nothing is not! Nothing can be learned or communicated and it's hopeless. Boohoo!

No sentiment like this is present in the article, or any article on that site for that matter. ...not that I would really know.

I think the article was a good summary of the general perspective provided by the Dark Legions on Black Metal (not that I am familiar with that site), but nothing new was really addressed.
Quote by NotFromANUS
No sentiment like this is present in the article, or any article on that site for that matter. ...not that I would really know.

I think the article was a good summary of the general perspective provided by the Dark Legions on Black Metal (not that I am familiar with that site), but nothing new was really addressed.

I can only assume it is all rooted in there given that they are affiliated with the American Nihilist Underground Society and not their own web entity.
Quote by Mathedes
I can only assume it is all rooted in there given that they are affiliated with the American Nihilist Underground Society and not their own web entity.

You don't understand Nihilism. It's that simple.
googled dylar out of curiosity, white noise seems like a good book. Yknow, if have got a lot of free time and peace of mind in th summer, ill definitely consider picking it up, the last book i read was slaughterhouse five for english like, half a year ago, and i was such a lazy fvck that i didnt even finish it though it was a great book

what do/ did you guys study post-secondary anyways? I know you lot arent dropouts typing in their rents home... right?
Quote by NotFromANUS
You don't understand Nihilism. It's that simple.

I understand it enough to see how it greatly impacts the writing of these articles:

1a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths

to...

Black metal: No peace can exist, and nothing is equal or pure. Morality is garbage invented by the weak.

Preaching about a higher race while on the internet is counter-intuitive. All of you who blindly follow this obvious internet joke need to listen to some fucking Manilla Road and grow a pair.

I will now quote my favourite anus speech.

Industrial neoclassical metallists Incantation use modal stripes in counterpoint composition of music that without tell-tale harmonization to give away its construction, founds its design in melodic songwriting that expands themes around the roaring inferno of motion created by initial motivic impressions on the memory of expectation.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I believe what makes great metal great, or any art for that matter is it's refusal to take a moral stance. All great art must be amoral in order to properly communicate itself as an experience; all else is fluff (aka 99% of ANUS).
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

What?? Metal is metal, vague bullshit is not metal. Anyone is a philosopher with google at their fingertips. Its quite obvious that these people need sex.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Dylar
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=222

What has made metal great is that it acknowledges, embraces and glorifies the truths that the weak shy away from. We are beings of war, struggling eternally against the backdrop of an indifferent universe, and only the conquerors matter. Terrifying for the ordinary, but beautiful to those who are prepared to rise above.

What makes metal great is Satan, and you are inferior to Him.

Get on yo' knees, biatch, and start worshippin' the Devil.
I don't see how that bit on Incantation is remotely humorous, save the lengthy sentences. It actually describes them fairly well...at least Golgotha.

Existential Nihilism is much different from the standard "fatalist" nihilism. It's a belief system based on rewarding the eternal and promotes bettering your body, mind, and spirit

And I got laid last Wednesday?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Stranglehold
Anyone is a philosopher with google at their fingertips.

Ha, yes. That's why I rarely take anyone seriously on the net.

Quote by progbass

And I got laid last Wednesday?

Hedonist.
There's always been a ton of elitism in metal, and this article kind of puts an reinforces that. Something I don't like about the article is how much emphasis it puts on being alone. The metal scene is a community, and being a part of a community means you don't have to stand alone. When I saw Dimmu Borgir for example, every single stranger in that little venue became my brother as we stood together for the same purpose: Metal. It's a beautiful thing, Metal is, and we don't need to make it something ugly by over analyzing it until there's nothing left but a bunch of bullshit.
Quote by jibran
Ha, yes. That's why I rarely take anyone seriously on the net.

Hedonist.

You got me. In my defense, been seeing her since January.

Back to relevant topic, it seems this devolved into the bogstandard kneejerk anti DLA campaign that some of this forum perpetuates. I wonder how many actually read the article...
HESSIAN HAREM
Anti dla? Anti bullshit more like. Come on man, its complete vague fantasy shit, and admittedly the best troll site online. There came a time of ug people, anus came, you all blindly followed. Gay.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by CynicalSquid
The guy's writing is also pretentious and self indulgent as ****...

So Is Dimmu Borgir but im not whining about it. Hell, I don't even like for all tid...

Elitism represents Natural Selection In metal. It is needed to prevent (in extreme cases) bands like Trivium and Between the Buried and me. The influx of bad material (brought on by a multitude of factors) has made the genre all but impotent and stagnant. DLA is about promoting material that separates itself from its clueless peers. From an objective standpoint, roughly 90% of the music they praise is more or less classical In rock aesthetic. This particular article praises the Idealogical (the subjective) In addition to the craftsmanship (the objective) In pertaining to black metal

Progedit - funny, I seem to recall being at odds with all anus articles back in 08 until I actually started listening to some of the albums they praise...
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at May 18, 2011,
Quote by progbass
The influx of bad material (brought on by a multitude of factors) has made the genre all but impotent and stagnant.

I don't believe that's true. While there is a bunch of horrible shit getting popular like Devil Wears Prada and Black Veil Brides, there's also fantastic bands releasing fantastic albums. Rammstein's LIFAD, Burzum's Fallen album have been recent, and Wintersun, Necrophagist, and Mastodon are supposed to be releasing new material soon. Just because there's awful music in a genre doesn't mean its reached a state of stagnation.
I would like to see photographic evidence of anus being at an actual gig, with somatic human beings.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by CynicalSquid
I don't believe that's true. While there is a bunch of horrible shit getting popular like Devil Wears Prada and Black Veil Brides, there's also fantastic bands releasing fantastic albums. Rammstein's LIFAD, Burzum's Fallen album have been recent, and Wintersun, Necrophagist, and Mastodon are supposed to be releasing new material soon. Just because there's awful music in a genre doesn't mean its reached a state of stagnation.

Rammstein is terrible, let alone Industrial Rock (not metal)
Both Fallen and Belus were terrible. It was Varg imitating the hipsters who aped Filosofem and Hvis...the Irony of it Is just sad.
Necrophagist is self Indulgant wank that borderlines neurotic, certainly not a good example of death metal in any case.
Wintersun...not even going to bother with that.
Mastodon has gone way down the shitter. While it Is a pleasure of mine to don flannel and spin Remissions, even I can't excuse the vapid filth that is CtS.

There have been a few number of good releases, but nowhere near the numbers of the early 90s. Engram by Beherit sticks out (09). Speaking of which, can't wait on that pressing of the true debut in a few months...
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
There have been a few number of good releases, but nowhere near the numbers of the early 90s.

You sound like my ex-girlfriend, man xD
Because a high majority of the A level death and black (and grind for that matter) albums were released between 88-97?
HESSIAN HAREM
9 years is an awful long time for any assessment of quality. Sums up the bullshit vagueness of anus, to be fair. To base an entire website on clutching at straws is ridiculous. Why did you follow this crap man?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I like a lot of the metal and classical (among other things they praise)

The existential philosophy appeals to me. I like the idea of constantly and actively trying to better myself.

The politics seem sound and logical to me.

I've always been interested in separating art from entertainment
HESSIAN HAREM
tl;dr version of article? I sense elitism and anti-modernism. I have one thing to say, which may be somewhat off-topic. I hate when black metal idiots (especially Varg and Gaahl) talk about how morality/religion is for the weak. It's not weakness, it's self control. Weakness is doing whatever you want and having no regard for morals. Varg and Gaahl are pseudo-intellectual pussies.

Quote by progbass
Rammstein is terrible, let alone Industrial Rock (not metal)
Both Fallen and Belus were terrible. It was Varg imitating the hipsters who aped Filosofem and Hvis...the Irony of it Is just sad.
Necrophagist is self Indulgant wank that borderlines neurotic, certainly not a good example of death metal in any case.
Wintersun...not even going to bother with that.
Mastodon has gone way down the shitter. While it Is a pleasure of mine to don flannel and spin Remissions, even I can't excuse the vapid filth that is CtS.

There have been a few number of good releases, but nowhere near the numbers of the early 90s. Engram by Beherit sticks out (09). Speaking of which, can't wait on that pressing of the true debut in a few months...

LOL not even going to bother with this
sunbather is shit
Quote by Stranglehold
There came a time of ug people, anus came, you all blindly followed. Gay.

I think it's got more to do with a 'fitting in' thing as opposed to following blindly for most of the folks here.

edit: Still gay.
Quote by progbass

You got me. In my defense, been seeing her since January.

Back to relevant topic, it seems this devolved into the bogstandard kneejerk anti DLA campaign that some of this forum perpetuates. I wonder how many actually read the article...

I read the article. It was wrong.

Black metal means Satan. Anyone who suggest otherwise is a heretic and will be savagely slaughtered in a ritual sacrifice to the Dark Lord, praise be to his Almighty Power.
Page 1 of 2