So recently, I've been looking at getting a new amplifier as well as a new guitar.

I'm pretty much sold on what I plan to buy, but a smart buyer doesn't buy on a whim.

I'd like to discuss tonality and playability of PRS Guitars versus whatever subsititutes you all may have to suggest in response.

The guitar I've been looking at is a PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt, and the reasons are fairly obvious: the guitar is beautiful, the guitar (live or not live. I'm assuming he plays this guitar in the studio) sounds great, and playability is subjective.

Has anyone tried this guitar and/or heard it in person?

And as far as substitutes are concerned, I'd like to discuss possible alternatives (In the $500 - $1100 range) to suit a music style that I might (or you, I like the opinions) prefer out of a guitar.

Personal influences (for me) include: Mastodon, Dream Theater, Lamb of God, Opeth, Tool, Between the Buried and Me, and other various music groups with similar sounds.

EDIT: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Mikael-Akerfeldt-Electric-Guitar?sku=423365 <--- Here's a link with the guitar I was talking about previously.
I think the only bad side in buying that guitar is that it comes with a gig bag, not a case. Anyway, I think that PRS guitars generally are quality instruments and it applies to this guitar too. The guitar looks good, the quality of the build is good, the pickups aren't definitely bad and the hardware looks that it can take a few years before losing the most accurate tune and such, it sounds versatile (like it can nail some bluesy tones and then with a good amp also those very brutal riffs that Opeth uses). Only thing that bothers me in PRS is the switch's placement. Like I don't find it really comfortable, but that's a personal thing. I think that PRS SE Mikael Åkerfeldt is indeed bang for the buck. Someone might disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

The best thing for you to do is to get to try out as many guitars as possible yourself. Ordering online is seriously not the best option even if you had the full warranties and 30 days returns, it still takes a lot of time.

Remember to find used guitars too, they're usually even more bang for the buck. Like for example, you can find those $1400-1800 guitars when they're new = $800-1200 used. So you could get the higher PRS guitar with the same price as a little bit lower.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 17, 2011,
2nd hand PRS CE22/24

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most of the reviews I read agree with exactly what you said : Most bang for the buck and still maintains that PRS high quality goodness. (Which is EXACTLY what I am looking for.) The gig bag is kinda ugly in my opinion, but I (and the audience) won't be looking at the bag much.

The local music stores in my area sell Jackson, Ibanez, and Schecter. (None of the good models either, they keep it under $500)

I've tried a LOT of the guitars at local stores and they either sound muddy, weak, or scratchy. (Except for the blues style Fenders. Those are AMAZING guitars.)

Only guitar I've had luck with was a used Jackson Dinky DK2M (bought for $340) which I installed a DiMarzio CrunchLab and a DiMarzio LiquiFire in. (Best decision ever.)

I like having a variety of guitars (I have four acoustic guitars, one of which is a twelve-string-electric-acoustic) and I only have one viable electric guitar, and that saddens me.

Damn local shops have variety in the garbage tier of guitars, so I have to trust other people's opinions of guitars. (Although, the local stores have some ****in' great amps. Orange and Marshall and Peavey. No Mesas though.)

EDIT: Local stores rarely see a PRS guitar come into their store. So again, I have to look around online. Craigslist in my local area is filled with more ibanez and cheap jackson shit. About a billion "starter packages" and "great spider III deals!!"
Last edited by ToolFan462 at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand PRS CE22/24

+1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
+1

+2

**** yes I did and I will keep doing so until he at leasts looks at them.

For another $100 or so he can get a real PRS guitar, not a tacky Korean Signature guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I played it for 10 minutes or so. As well as the Se Allender and the Se Torero.
I liked the pickups in the Torero (emg 81/85) and didnt really want a stupid logo on the guitar.
The Allender was quite nice IMO as well but they only had it in purple And the emg 89 wasnt as warm as the 85. Beat the akerfeldt out with the floyd alone imo.
PRS and quality go hand in hand so I can imagine it's well made and sounds great. I was actually going to buy the Akerfeldt model before, but unfortunately my Guitar Center didn't have it
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand PRS CE22/24

+3

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
+3

+4

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you're really influenced by BTBAM, check out the Custom 24, it's the guitar that they use for the most part.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand PRS CE22/24

+6

I'd get one myself If they made a lefty
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
The signature guitar is pretty good - When I played it at PMT (apparently the biggest guitar showroom in western Europe if that helps) not many guitars in the same price range compared well to it.

Although if you can get a non SE PRS for around the same price (used) then I'd do that.
Do remember SE's are made in korea, and it would be crazy to assume that it will as good as an American PRS. BUT ...... the guitar tech I use in London (Noden, used to be Andy's) was resetting one of them while I was in there getting my guitar reworked, and he said that they were fantastic and usable as a proper work horse guitars, especially for someone looking for a heavier creamier sound.
Wouldnt give you amazing cleans, as you do need single coils for that. But anyway, alternate guitars, the only thing i would think of is a MIJ japanese telecaster so you have money left over to just do up the electronics.
Quote by alexmottram
Do remember SE's are made in korea, and it would be crazy to assume that it will as good as an American PRS. BUT ...... the guitar tech I use in London (Noden, used to be Andy's) was resetting one of them while I was in there getting my guitar reworked, and he said that they were fantastic and usable as a proper work horse guitars, especially for someone looking for a heavier creamier sound.
Wouldnt give you amazing cleans, as you do need single coils for that. But anyway, alternate guitars, the only thing i would think of is a MIJ japanese telecaster so you have money left over to just do up the electronics.

The thing is, there are plenty other Korean made guitars in the price range which are - IMO - a better deal than the SEs.

If you want a PRS, then get a real PRS.
The SE line is pretty much what Epiphone is to Gibson, what Squier is to Fender, what LTD is to ESP.
Quote by JesusCrisp
The SE line is pretty much what Epiphone is to Gibson, what Squier is to Fender, what LTD is to ESP.

What's your point? They're still good guitars.

Although I do have to give Tom another +1, a used CE would be a much better idea, not much more expensive, but a lot better.
The thing is, there are plenty other Korean made guitars in the price range which are - IMO - a better deal than the SEs.

If you want a PRS, then get a real PRS.

I never said there weren't any other good guitars made in Korea, merely pointed out that they were made in Korea.
Also, take a look at the money he is spending and rethink that last sentence.
Lets say he wants to play rock, in my opinion there are a few style of guitars he could use (not a complete list)...
1) Any PRS style guitar
2) Les Paul
3) Strat
4) Tele
5) Some thin necked ibanez
Now he said he plays metal, so a normal strat isnt going to do that, so cross that off, also cross off ibanez because i know nothing about them.
So your left with a les paul, a tele or a PRS. And he has what i think is around £800 max.

Well you can't get a les paul by gibson as the standard price is £1400, so what is the point in even mentioning Gibson... As far as epiphone goes, you actually guitar far better quality PER POUND than a les paul. The current manufacturing standards in Les Paul are nowhere near what they used to be (don't take this from me take it from the tech I use). Still an epiphone les paul can cost up to £600 which gets you a nice mid range guitar (in the price range he is looking for). Then with any spare cash, he can get some new pickups or whatever he wishes.

Now a tele by fender comes in the one of 5 generalised categories (with rough rough rough prices),
Older MIJ Japanese - £600 (Old factory used better dried wood, needs better electronics though)
Newer CIJ Japanese - £400
Mexican - £800
American - £1000
American Deluxe - £1200
when I had bought my new guitar, I didn't really like playing any of them except for the deluxe (i ended up getting a strat instead), but only the Mexican and bellow would be in his price range. Comparing to a squire telecaster (which is an alright beginning guitar) its really just cheap wood and wire. The quality difference between squire and fender is much bigger than epiphone and Gibson.

Finally, PRS's, an SE guitar is around £700, an American is around £2500. So suggesting he get an actual PRS is a bit blind.

Anyway, what other korean guitars are better than the SE's?
SE's are reat guitars for the money, but Ackerfeldt surely does not play his sig model on any Opeth recordings and the times you see him play it live it's just bc he has to. It is loaded w/ USA pickups and electronics and probably has a ton of setup work done on it. IIRC he usually uses Custom 24's, Custom 22's and Modern Eagles.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by I'mOnAPlain
+6

I'd get one myself If they made a lefty

+7 (but not the lefty part)
Check out my fitness blog here
If you have time to wait, PRS is coming out with an SE version of the 245. From all I've read so far, it should be a very nice guitar. Just have to wait till July to get our hands on one and see how they feel/sound.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
what Tom said, a used CE22/24 will be worth saving the extra few hundred bucks for
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.