Page 1 of 2
Hello pit,

Do you know any way to keep yourself awake without using energy drinks, coffee etc?

In my current situation, I would work for 8 hours, commute for 1 hour, help around the house and prepare for dinner then eat around 1 and a half hours then practice guitar/practice drums/compose/learn music theory/learn songs/ for remaining 3 or so hours.

The problem is I usually lose a lot of energy just after going home. I kinda figured out that I was sleep deprived cause I only get to sleep for around 4 - 5 hours (kinda variable)

This makes everyday a bitch cause I feel sleepy all day long.

Know any tips to make use of what little sleep I have? Energy drinks are harmful in the long run so those are not an option

EDIT:

Kinda posted this in musician's talk lol(Wow this just proof that I AM sleep deprived) Sorry bout that
I would use 5 hour energy. You don't get that sugar rush or something from coffee or energy drinks.
The 5 hour energy's keep you alert and awake.

Energy drinks and coffee get you that short burst of energy.
Don't spend so much time on music stuff. I know it's a bum, and music is the best and all that, but everything you listed was pretty much a necessity except for music. Those three hours could get you a very healthy 7-8 hours of sleep.
Also, if you can, sleep on your commute (I don't know if you drive or take a bus or whatever, but if you can, sleep).
Use 5 hour energy like stated above. If you have to stay awake make sure you are doing something active. During the last semester I found myself waking up at 5 in the morning and not going to bed until 1 the next morning a lot, because I would be so wired from work and school. It's not the best habit.
Cut something out. 6 hours is the minimum you should be getting; 4 is too little. I try and keep to 6 - 7.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
5 Hour Energy shots are just like "energy" drinks. Same ingredients, just smaller. It's all the same. Only macronutrients (carbs/fat/protein) yield energy in the body. Micronutrients (vitamins, caffeine, etc) do not produce energy. They help in the metabolism of macronutrients to produce energy from said macronutrients. Your best bet is to find a way to get a little more sleep, if you could scrounge for an hour or two you may do yourself a favor. Also, a short nap at some point may help. I've found catching about 15-20 minutes helps from time to time. I can't say it's a habit but when I need it, it certainly helps.
DON'T use 5 hour energy. Caffeine is addictive and damaging. Not a good habit to start.

Have you looked into ways of getting better sleep? Sleeping hormones can help, as well as making slight adjustments to your 'sleep hygiene'.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Meth

Your doctor can prescribe various amphetamines that'll keep you focused.

5 hour energy shots are expensive and useless imo.
Last edited by stratkat at May 17, 2011,
You need more sleep, the lack is more dangerous than energy drinks from what I've read/experienced
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Baby Joel
Don't spend so much time on music stuff. I know it's a bum, and music is the best and all that, but everything you listed was pretty much a necessity except for music. Those three hours could get you a very healthy 7-8 hours of sleep.
Also, if you can, sleep on your commute (I don't know if you drive or take a bus or whatever, but if you can, sleep).

Surely this would be a much healthier option than energy drinks. You could still get a reasonable amount of time for music and still get an extra hour or two of sleep.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
DID YOU KNOW, that now it is recommended that adults sleep between 4-6 hours a night. studies show that people that sleep around these hours live longer than people who sleep like 8-9 hours.
Sleep more.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by TheEducatedFool
Surely this would be a much healthier option than energy drinks. You could still get a reasonable amount of time for music and still get an extra hour or two of sleep.

Well I'm serious about music but I'll try to cut 2 hours of practice maybe?

Hopefully it won't affect my progress.

Thanks to all who gave advice
Quote by gothblade
Hello pit,

Do you know any way to keep yourself awake without using energy drinks, coffee etc?

In my current situation, I would work for 8 hours, commute for 1 hour, help around the house and prepare for dinner then eat around 1 and a half hours then practice guitar/practice drums/compose/learn music theory/learn songs/ for remaining 3 or so hours.

The problem is I usually lose a lot of energy just after going home. I kinda figured out that I was sleep deprived cause I only get to sleep for around 4 - 5 hours (kinda variable)

This makes everyday a bitch cause I feel sleepy all day long.

Know any tips to make use of what little sleep I have? Energy drinks are harmful in the long run so those are not an option

EDIT:

Kinda posted this in musician's talk lol(Wow this just proof that I AM sleep deprived) Sorry bout that

1) Caffeine is not damaging. In fact there have been numerous health benefits noted from moderate coffee consumption
http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm/volumeID_17-editionID_113-ArticleID_786-getfile_getPDF/thepsychologist%5Cthompson.pdf

2) If you want to avoid daytime sleepiness then you're probably going to have to try to get about 6 and a half hours, especially if you're not going to touch caffeine at all.

3) Try to get sleep with decent cycles, a standard cycle is 90 minutes, this will prevent you being sleepy upon awakening. This can help you calculate it: http://sleepyti.me/

4) If you are feeling tired try a fifteen minute nap, no more, no less. This is playing on the same sleep cycle premise.

5) B vitamins can also help, that's the only difference between standard caffeine and that "5 hour energy" stuff.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
1) Caffeine is not damaging. In fact there have been numerous health benefits noted from moderate coffee consumption
http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm/volumeID_17-editionID_113-ArticleID_786-getfile_getPDF/thepsychologist%5Cthompson.pdf

2) If you want to avoid daytime sleepiness then you're probably going to have to try to get about 6 and a half hours, especially if you're not going to touch caffeine at all.

3) Try to get sleep with decent cycles, a standard cycle is 90 minutes, this will prevent you being sleepy upon awakening. This can help you calculate it: http://sleepyti.me/

4) If you are feeling tired try a fifteen minute nap, no more, no less. This is playing on the same sleep cycle premise.

5) B vitamins can also help, that's the only difference between standard caffeine and that "5 hour energy" stuff.

I'll try this.... So caffeine is not really damaging in the long run? It is kind of addicting though.
Quote by gothblade
Well I'm serious about music but I'll try to cut 2 hours of practice maybe?

Hopefully it won't affect my progress.

Thanks to all who gave advice

Why don't you just practice for three hours on certain days? Some days I sleep for 8 hours, some I sleep for 4. But I've also got an excessive amount of energy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
5 hour is cool, but it does have caffeine and is therefore addictive.

try yoga. or meditation. spend an hour for yourself without any goals but to be alone, with yourself.

make sure you eat breakfast. and don't lounge around after big dinner.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by gothblade
I'll try this.... So caffeine is not really damaging in the long run? It is kind of addicting though.

So what?
It's not like caffeine withdrawal is particularly bad, or like caffeine is going to be a difficult or expensive addiction to maintain.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
You need to sleep more. That's it. There's no way around it. This shouldn't be a problem since working 8 hours and spending an hour commute isn't out of the ordinary. Somehow everyone else is able to sleep the required amount of hours.
Quote by metallica #1
I would use 5 hour energy. You don't get that sugar rush or something from coffee or energy drinks.

That's a terrible idea.
Quote by Panasonic3
5 hour is cool, but it does have caffeine and is therefore addictive.

try yoga. or meditation. spend an hour for yourself without any goals but to be alone, with yourself.

make sure you eat breakfast. and don't lounge around after big dinner.

This guy's problem is that he is so busy he literally doesn't have time to sleep and you suggest that takes up meditation? God damnit.

EDIT: though, if you add up the hours in his post he should have roughly 5 hours or so left over. Go figure.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at May 17, 2011,
I am an architect major so I am used to operating on less than 4 hours of sleep every day. Don't skip breakfast, when you do sleep make sure it is as dark as possible, and get up and move around every fifteen minutes or so.
I've been sleeping like that for years, even when I have days off I only get 4-6 hours of sleep. you could rearrange your schedule, indulge in substances or grow to deal with it.
Quote by Marshmelllow
DID YOU KNOW, that now it is recommended that adults sleep between 4-6 hours a night. studies show that people that sleep around these hours live longer than people who sleep like 8-9 hours.

Source or it's bullshit.
Quote by Mark Roxx
Source or it's bullshit.

It's true. I'm a psych major, they talk about it in my Biopsychology text, the studies saying 8 hours were horribly flawed.

I can go get sources if you really really want, but then I have to go upstairs.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's true. I'm a psych major, they talk about it in my Biopsychology text, the studies saying 8 hours were horribly flawed.

I honestly feel much better and much happier when I only get four or five hours of sleep.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I've always found if I sleep eight hours, it has to be ten hours or I'm still tired. I can sleep from 1 AM to 6 and wake up ready to go, but it's hard to be up at the same time if I went to bed at 10 or 11. I guess it's some sort of funky sleep cycle/metabolism thing.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I'll take your word for it then. Sounds like it's time to start going to bed at 2 in the morning! (unless it doesn't apply to teenagers)
Minimum 7 hours of sleep bro. Cut down on your music activities because 5 hours of sleep just isn't enough. If you do that everyday, you'll do damage to yourself.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
How can you even live TS? I have to sleep at least 9 hours a night or else i'm a zombie.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

Quote by kazetuner
How can you even live TS? I have to sleep at least 9 hours a night or else i'm a zombie.

Yeah well why do you think I'm seeking advice...I'm always in a zombified state(not rotting)

Such is the life of a struggling musician who doubles as a (crappy) programmer.
Quote by kazetuner

If you slowly reduced your sleep down to six and a half hours it's likely that your brain would adapt and become more efficient at sleeping and you wouldn't feel as tired anymore.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by metallica #1

Do you work for 5 hour energy or something? Shit, son.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Energy drinks are ok. Also, the best would be just eat healthy through the day. It helped me out a lot
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I honestly feel much better and much happier when I only get four or five hours of sleep.

I feel incredibly tired about 10 hours later if i get 4 or 5 hours sleep, whereas if i get about 7 or 8 i feel alright 10 hours after waking up.
Uberman's sleep cycle Winston Churchill did it.. why cant' you?

Since our major is the source of our credibility, Ima come out and say that I'm a structural Engineer. So unless there is a Physics or EE major in here, or an actual doctor, your opinion isn't as valid.
Last edited by dylanfromearth at May 17, 2011,
Page 1 of 2