Page 1 of 2
Hey guys..Im thinking of buying a Dean dime Razorback...Want some suggestion with What pedals to buy to get a good thrash sound..particularly Pantera, Kreator, Megadeth,etc....Thanks in advance...\m/ ..
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Okay, first thing's first.

Amp?
Price Range?

Also, I would not advise getting a Razorback. They're quite overpriced and not that great sounding. If you're sure you want to get one, try one out first. The necks that Dean uses are very love/hate.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I agree, with dean necks you either love them, or you hate them, or you think they are ok.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
I agree, with dean necks you either love them, or you hate them, or you think they are ok.

First of all..thanks to everyone for responding....
The thing is, im from kolkata, India. So my budget is low and I am Limited to some certain amps and gears because things have to be ordered and brought from abroad...
I own a Marshall Mg4 30w amp...Which i have bought recently..
My budget is around 25k rs.(500$)...for pedals..
So it will be great if u guys give some advice about minimum pedals i need to pull off a sound close to Dime...
Im only looking for Distortion, Overdrive, Delay and noise reduction if required..I dont want to go for Tube screamers or wah pedals...
skip an overdrive as it won't really work that well with your amp. perhaps a EH Metal Muff or the Digitech Hardwire metal distortion would work for you. perhaps if you let us know what brands are available to you it would help as ones you can't get obviously won't be good recommendations.
I can order anything available at zzounds...
MY budget for pedals are about 500$..Thsi is the first time i will be using single effects pedals..
I was thinking about Digitech--metal dis..and boss..Metalcore and boss distortion...
What about this....http://www.zzounds.com/item--MXRDD11
Im really amateur at picking up pedals and as my budget is low,Can u guys please help me picking up the minimum required pedals i need...Thank u...
When I played the MG it sounded lifeless, had way too much treble without any real balls, the gain just sounded like hiss.

So you should already have Dime's tone right there.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
When I played the MG it sounded lifeless, had way too much treble without any real balls, the gain just sounded like hiss.

Man you crack me up, but you are pretty spot on with that statement. Dimebag used SS amps with particularly harsh synthetic sounding distortion. If that is actually what you want an MG is pretty much that. Chugga Chugga to your hearts content.
Line 6 Uber metal. Very versatile pedal....the MG probably isn't worth anything more expensive.

If the MG has an effects loop, try running the pedal directly into the return of the loop.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at May 19, 2011,
Thanks...but isn't digitech's distortion more intense than line 6..??
Can u suggest what i should use for solos???and the Foot board..
Im completely new in using single effects pedals...:P
Quote by samtaker
Thanks...but isn't digitech's distortion more intense than line 6..??
Can u suggest what i should use for solos???and the Foot board..
Im completely new in using single effects pedals...:P

More intense ≠ better. What do you mean about the foot board?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Oh..I meant the floor board where every connection from the pedals go...
And for solos..Do i need a chorus and delay??
Plz post a list of what i should get within 500$(Exclude Wah and intense pedals..)..Just the minimum requirements...
The Line 6 Uber metal comes with a noise gate, so that saves you some $$$, you could throw in a BBE boosta grande AFTER the line 6 for a volume boost for solos, You'll probably at least want a delay (after both) as well. The BBE 2 timer seems to be quite versatile, but I do not have much experience with them.

Another thought, as long as your using the MG, a decent multi-fx pedal might work will. Digitech RP 255-355-500 or 1000, as well as a line 6 floor pod. Now you have all your fx, wah control, and distortion in one box.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at May 19, 2011,
Thanks vinson..But i wanna go for single effects pedals because i want to know more about them and use them...
Why isn't anyone saying anything about the Dunlop--mxr dd11 dime distortion..I heard the sound samples and its pretty intense....
You're going to find most people on this forum live in the US, England, Canada and Australia, we have a much wider selection of gear at our disposal, and more importantly everyone here has widely varied opinions. As people have kind of been saying here in varying degrees of nice/rude, is that your amp is considered low quality, and usually a new amp is the first bit of advice given when someone admits they have a marshall MG.

Maybe you could show us a website from where you are that shows the products they carry. My advice to you though is consider the multi effect unit, there's more to learn there than single effect pedals if you're curious about a challenge or something. Also, multi effects are cheaper, I don't know the mark up on gear there, but playing expensive pedals through an MG is not worthwhile I'd imagine.

Summary, Dime bag died and companies used his name to boost sales, nothing with his name is that great, and most people here don't like his tone anyways, so if you really do they are perplexed but your amp is fine.
Quote by samtaker
First of all..thanks to everyone for responding....
The thing is, im from kolkata, India. So my budget is low and I am Limited to some certain amps and gears because things have to be ordered and brought from abroad...
I own a Marshall Mg4 30w amp...Which i have bought recently..
My budget is around 25k rs.(500$)...for pedals..
So it will be great if u guys give some advice about minimum pedals i need to pull off a sound close to Dime...
Im only looking for Distortion, Overdrive, Delay and noise reduction if required..I dont want to go for Tube screamers or wah pedals...

Get a Jackson JS the factory is in India

IMHO you'll get a much better axe that a Razorback for the less money.

JS32T Rhoads

JS32T Rhodes

JS32T Kelly

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=JS-Series&page=1&product=2910023376

JS32t King V

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=JS-Series&page=1&product=2910024328
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Thanks willowthewitch and askrere...Actually i will trade my MG with a friend for a randall...
And im also thinking about buying Boss distortion, noise gate, Delay...Will it be ok???
I also heard the dunlop mxr tone..Its pretty nice..Can someone confirm it...
Idk if you need a noise gate for a boss ds-1 unless you mean the boss metal pedals
I don't recommend Boss distortions. Hardwire makes much, much better stuff for the same price. Their noise gate and delays are amazing though. Particularly the DD7 delay.

Look into the Hardwire TL-2: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HADTL2

IMO, it is the best "metal" distortion pedal in the price range.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look, my sarcasm aside, what randall are you wanting to get? You don't need any pedal for what you're wanting honestly. Get a good amp first before you spend a single cent (or whatever the lowest value ofcurrency you use) on pedals. If you could post a site or two (besides zzounds I didn't see much there) I would be more than happy to help.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I will let u know the Randall amp which i can get..
@askrere--was thinking about getting Boss Metalcore dis and ns2 noise gate...
Quote by Shreddinkevin
Or what about the amp made by Dean that has Dime's tone?

Dime's is the opposite of what you want for thrash. For Thrash, you want tight, articulate tone, and not as much gain as he used. Most thrash actually has much less gain than you'd think. Use as little gain as you can get away with.
Thrash tone usually comes from the amp, not a pedal. Back in the 80's the amp to have for thrash was a JCM80 with a boost. Look into the Jet City JCA20 for a good thrash amp on the cheap. You'll need a good OD for a boost too though.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 20, 2011,
Didn't Hetfield use an older LM308 chipped rat on his board?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by bluestratplayer

Zing!
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone suggest the MXR Fullbore Metal as an option yet?
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
AMT M1 or AMT P1 pedals if available.

If not.. Pro Co RAT is the Thrash pedal for you.

I actually liked the Boss Blues Driver more as a distortion pedal than any distortion pedal I've ever used because it actually adds BEEF to the sound instead of making it thin and shrill.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shreddinkevin
Or what about the amp made by Dean that has Dime's tone?

Like I said, Im assuming here you're not talking about the Krank because of its price, you might as well stick with your MG if thats the exact tone your wanting. Go to the settings thread for dime settings which will most likely be b-10 m0-3 t-10.

If you want GOOD tone for thrash then a JCM800 like darkwolf suggested or a Laney GH50 for cheaper. Hell even a Windsor will be a hell of a step up for you. Also I find it hard to comprehend why someone would want dimes tone but impossible to comprehend how they can't achieve it with an already buzzy and treble plagued amp.

Not trying to bash you bad for wanting his tone, merely trying to state that you should be able to pretty much get it without spending any money.

And if you're going after thrash and similar tones where dist is your prominent tone, why would you not get an amp made for that? There are some amazing pedals out there don't get me wrong, but a Bugera 1990 would most likely get you closer than any pedal its price used, same with the Windsor.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by darkwolf291
Look into the Jet City JCA20 for a good thrash amp on the cheap. You'll need a good OD for a boost too though.

THIS I just forgot the name
argh.

First, im assuming you're going to be playing in a band and are gonna go the usual route of college gigs and competitions and stuff.

So **** getting a new amp, it will be of no use to you if you're only gonna leave it at home. Plus, tube amps in india are overpriced as hell unless you're going to get one built be BE3 or something.

Try and find the AMT Du Hast.

OR "AMT M1 or AMT P1 pedals if available."
That.

For a delay, try and find a Boss DD3. It should be more than fine for your needs, and fairly cheap. Look used even.

An EQ pedal. Danelectro Fish n Chips. $30 new.
Get it. It is useful as ****.

That's all you need.
Should i get boss DD3 or DD7???
And along with tat im getting...Boss Metalcore distortion(I found it more Crunchy than Ds2), Boss ns2..
Quote by samtaker
Should i get boss DD3 or DD7???
And along with tat im getting...Boss Metalcore distortion(I found it more Crunchy than Ds2), Boss ns2..

Depends on what you need. I think the DD7 is well worth the price, but if you don't need cool stuff like a looper and reverse, the DD3 is the way to go.

The ML-2 sucks. Seriously. Why are you only considering boss pedals?

The NS-2 is good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by samtaker

That's a very good pedal for the price. It's actually my favorite cheaper dist. That's out right now.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2